Dance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dance

So I have been wanting to dance for quite some time. I used to twirl then quit for multiple reasons. One of those reasons was because my back hurt especially when I bent and stuff like that, and 2 because my back is so stiff. I really want to do Tap and Ballet but I'm not sure if I should. I also feel really dizzy a lot (I still have not found that one out IDK if it has to do with my scoliosis or what?)Well dancing is kind of expensive. I don't want to take classes, buy leotards and dance shoes and everything then quit after a few weeks. So I'm not exactly sure what to do???

Hello Sarah,

My daughter dances and ballet gets mentioned quite a bit on these forums. You mention dizziness. What have your doctors said about that? How often do you get dizzy? You said you had pain when you did twirling. Has your pain lessened since you stopped twirling? My daughter's curve is 26 degrees and is in the lumbar area. She had been dancing for many years before the scoliosis was discovered and she is determined to continue dancing. Her problem is pain and we're trying to figure out what to do about that.

Comment

Hi S4Sarah,

The dizziness might be a problem in ballet, lots of turning, although the students learn to spot with their head in order to minimize the dizziness, but still, it takes a long time to get good at it.

Perhaps you could take a Parks and Rec class and try out a beginning ballet and tap class that is offered in your area and see if you like it? Lots of kids start that way, even my daughter. It doesn't cost nearly as much and all you'd basically need was the shoes...hard not to have the proper shoes in ballet and tap and some stretchy clothes. And if you need a leotard, you can actually find them pretty cheaply...lots of dance stores have sample racks where you can find really quite inexpensive leotards...or try a Salvation Army store, we give all our too small ballet clothes to them...I'm sure other people do also. Or ask a friend who dances if they have any too small leotards you could use. I've actually seen leotards for sale at Target also.

Some ballet studios offer a free trial class too, so you could possibly check out a ballet and tap class and see if you like it before you signed up.

Good luck!

Comment

Thanks for the info, I may watch a class to see what it's like or something or do a sample class. I'm still not sure whether I should do Tap, ballet, or both. I like Ballet and Tap a lot.
        I have pain just bending over to put on my shoes, and especially after sitting all day at school.
        I have been dizzy for quite some time I don't know why and it would be nice to know. My symptoms are hard to describe. I have been from website to website and Symptom checker to search engine and still am not sure why. My symptoms are really hard to explain. I was wondering could it be Vertigo, Chiari, or something to do with the nerves and my spine, IDK?

Comment

My daughter dances - ballet, pointe, modern, jazz, and hip hop. She has also taken tap. She said when they do the flap {sp?} the sudden stop of her foot on the floor hurt her back. She said she would like to learn how to do tap but...... She had her surgery 5 years ago and was back at dance in 3 months. She says ballet would be good for you with the stretching and strengthening you do to warm up before dancing. You will probably hurt some at first. That is normal - using muscles that haven't been used. Ballet has a lot of straight back posture and with my daughter's fusion, she does a great flat back! Try a summer dance camp to see how you like it
          T12- L5 fusion 1975 - Rochester, NY
          2002 removal of bottom of rod and extra fusion
          3/1/11 C5-C6 disc replacement
          Daughter - T7 - L3 fusion 2004

Comment

Working...
          X