Safe yoga for long fusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Safe yoga for long fusion

I've found a yoga instructor for my daughter who's willing to give private lessons. I don't know anything about it and I'm looking for some advice as to what should be avoided. She'd been having a lot of discomfort in her upper back but she's finally feeling good so I'm hesitant to start something now that might aggravate her back again. Her fusion is T4-L4.

Any advice is welcome. Thanks!

I have a long fusion and I have taken yoga successfully for several years now. I can't do ALL of the stretches because of my lack of upper back flexibility but I just have to know my limits and modify if necessary. I will say I am very gentle doing anything that requires me to turn or stretch my neck because I've had a herniated disk in my neck related to my scoliosis.

Since I started practicing yoga, I have become SO much more aware of the imbalances in my body and more conscious of how I stand, sit, walk, etc. I've gone online and researched "yoga for scoliosis" and found some techniques for helping even out my imbalances AND I acting "grew" a half inch in height after I started practicing.

So I would say go for it, just make sure the instructor knows your limits and be gentle.

Comment

Hi Sherie

I have heard that Iyengar yoga is best for scoliosis.
      I don't know much about yoga but you could ask someone about this.
      Hope this helps a little.
      Regards
      Donna.
      Mother to 14 year old daughter, Gabrielle (Gabby).
      Discovered her scoliosis on her 14th Birthday in February 2009. Due to be operated on for curves of 57 and 54 degrees (S Curve) in December 2009 with Dr. Askin in Brisbane.

Comment

Originally posted by Sherie View Post
        I've found a yoga instructor for my daughter who's willing to give private lessons. I don't know anything about it and I'm looking for some advice as to what should be avoided. She'd been having a lot of discomfort in her upper back but she's finally feeling good so I'm hesitant to start something now that might aggravate her back again. Her fusion is T4-L4.

Any advice is welcome. Thanks!
        Hi Sherie...

For some reason, yoga helps some and not others. Every time I've tried even the simplest of poses, I have some new back pain. I actually tried about 3 poses about 3 weeks ago, and I'm still having significant pain in my left shoulder blade and neck.

Because of your daughter's long fusion, I think that most professionals would tell your daughter to work on core strengthening as opposed to stretching. If you're really set on yoga, you might check out http://www.yogaforscoliosis.com. The teacher has scoliosis herself. I can't remember if it's on her DVD, but she has at least one patient with a long fusion.

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thanks all for the advice. After reading Linda's post, I think I'm going to postpone the yoga for now. I just can't take a chance of her pulling a muscle and being in pain over her summer break.

And I've seen that Yoga for Scoliosis, maybe several hundred times. The first chiro we went to see for spinecor and therapy played that tape on a loop (not exactly exciting stuff), it drove us crazy! And since she doesn't have extremely fond memories of that place, I'm going to have to pass.

Next question, is there a simple core strengthening exercise she can do at home? Should I take her to PT for that?

Comment

Thanks all for the advice. After reading Linda's post, I think I'm going to postpone the yoga for now. I just can't take a chance of her pulling a muscle and being in pain over her summer break.

And I've seen that Yoga for Scoliosis, maybe several hundred times. The first chiro we went to see for spinecor and therapy played that tape on a loop (not exactly exciting stuff), it drove us crazy! And since she doesn't have extremely fond memories of that place, I'm going to have to pass.

Next question, is there a simple core strengthening exercise she can do at home? Should I take her to PT for that?
            Yes, and definitely yes! I would call Dr. Lenke's office and get a referral to a PT who specializes in spine. A good PT should be able to come up with a small series of exercises that can be done in just a few minutes at home every day.
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
              Yes, and definitely yes! I would call Dr. Lenke's office and get a referral to a PT who specializes in spine. A good PT should be able to come up with a small series of exercises that can be done in just a few minutes at home every day.
              Thanks again, Linda. That's what we'll do. Do you know what is the average length (# of weeks) of PT?

Comment

Thanks again, Linda. That's what we'll do. Do you know what is the average length (# of weeks) of PT?
                I'm thinking 8, but I could be wrong. My personal experience is that that would be enough time to evaluate the problem and be certain that your daughter has a smalll number of exercises that she can perform correctly at home.

--Linda

Comment

Working...
                X