PDA

View Full Version : clothes w/brace...

Samiro
06-04-2009, 08:01 PM
i have had my brace for 2 weeks now and i cant seem to find good clothes that don't show it:(:mad:. i REALLY need some advice. thank you!!!

StephanieSmiles
06-05-2009, 03:47 PM
hey. there have been a lot of discussions about this.
i know it's frustrating, but it's ok. we all go through fashion troubles.
my advice is always wear a blank white cami OVER your brace.
that will keep it looking smooth from the outside and straps won't show
through as much. Um, baby-doll tops work really well, hoodies, layers.
Wear like a cute t-shirt or something then a short sleeved sweater, or
cropped jacket.
i was in the store forever 21 and i saw a lot of stuff that would work well
with my brace (only i didn't have much money on me lol). Just shop around,
and good luck! (:

michele27
06-09-2009, 08:49 PM
My friend told me to go to JCPenney's and go to the PLUS sizes and try on clothes there. The best articles of clothing or baby-doll tops and stretchy-ish pants.

Love,

Michele

Mom_15
06-09-2009, 08:58 PM
When my daughter was in the Boston Brace she wore a lot of baby doll tops a size larger than normal and gaucho pants or skirts with elastic waist bands.

Now that she is in the Spinecor brace, she wears jeans and polo shirts.

MamaBear
06-10-2009, 04:21 PM
My daughter is a big fan of skinny jeans. Her brace pushes her jeans down and since we got her brace all she is wearing are pajamas. How do you all wear your jeans? Over or under the brace?

RitaR
06-10-2009, 08:44 PM
I wore a Milwaukee brace when I was 13 and big T-shirts (thankfully!) were in, as they still are (?), and is what I wore a lot of with my brace. It didn't stick to it and was just more comfortable. Then, when I had to dress up, I wore lots of jackets (blazer jackets)....
hope this helps. I know you are uncomfortable, but it really is a must to do the brace thing!

dancer101
06-12-2009, 04:30 PM
Hi. I also have trouble with finding clothes that will fit over my brace. Taking Michele27's advice, I would go to JCpenney's to try on plus size clothes. Right now, I have a few pairs of shorts and LOTS of baby-doll tops I wear over my brace. I'm going to go shopping tomorrow to find clothes that will fit over my brace.

From,

Haley :rolleyes:

Cat Eyes
06-14-2009, 11:38 AM
okay it actually depends on the brace you have and how high you wear it!!
my brace is a boston brace. i find it useful to use layers. i wear a cami under a hollister shirt and no one can tell. i also bought a lot of sweat shirts and short sleve sweat shrits they hide the straps in the back for me. also for pant you need a bigger size and also you may have to pull them up higher then you are used to. good luck!! also if you wear t shirts tied them in the back and it makes the brace unnotticeable with out you looking baggy!!

sparklegirl59
06-18-2009, 01:28 PM
well here is what i wear with mine:

*Mostly cute sweatpants with elastic waste

*i have one good pair of rly cute khaki pants

*i wear loose shirts, one or two sizes bigger than what i wear without brace

*then if i want something cute, and not so baggy, then what i do is i wear a tight shirt with short sleeves, and a matching button up shirt over it, but unbuttoned, tht way only the front of the tight shirt is showing, and you can't tell tht i have the brace on

oh, and we wear our jeans over our brace, to the mom who asked about that(: hope this helps!!

moxie
08-23-2009, 02:11 AM
I've taught my daughter not to hung up on "what size am I"..so first of all, we buy what fits the brace. When trying pants on, I have her bend because I have found with stretchy pants or sweats they get caught under the brace. She will sometimes wear two t-shirts the bottom one long and the top one she ties a 'ponytail' in the back. I always go with her when she tries clothes on and look at the back and the front to make sure the shirts are not too tight, revealing the brace. Most of the time, people can't tell. The last time we went to the MD, he even asked because he couldn't tell. :)

catinhat95
08-28-2009, 09:11 AM
My daughter is wearing the boston brace. I have to tell you we have had great luck finding clothes that cover the brace and actually look great!! We were in JCPenney the other day and went to the junior department -- the styles for this fall are very a-line. we got lots of things that were great. We also went to nordstrom and they have a ton of t-shirts in the junior department (they call it brass plum dept) that were fantastic.

Here are some good ones -- we actually bought some of these...
http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3041893/0~2378467~2378483~2381660~6002038?mediumthumbnail= Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6002038&P=3
http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3039290/0~2378467~2378483~2381660~6002038?mediumthumbnail= Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6002038&P=3
these are great, we bought several colors:
http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/2990394/0~2378467~2378483~2381660~6002038?mediumthumbnail= Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6002038&P=4
this is her favorite and it's on sale now for only $13.90!
http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3035258/0~2378467~2378483~2381660~6002038?mediumthumbnail= Y&origin=category&searchtype=&pbo=6002038&P=7
vests that are big this season like this one (only $14.99):
http://www3.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?DeptID=50455&CatID=50458&GrpTyp=PRD&ItemID=16c1958&attrtype=&attrvalue=&CMID=50455&Fltr=&Srt=&QL=F&IND=4&cmVirtualCat=&CmCatId=50455|50458

So you see, with a little creativity, you CAN make the best of this. I hope this helps!:)

Ballet Mom
08-30-2009, 01:48 PM
Those are really cute clothes! I also saw lots of tops like these on the college campus this weekend....very attractive! :)

catinhat95
09-02-2009, 08:36 AM
Attached are some pics of my daughter in her Boston brace. You can hardly tell she is wearing it! The styles for this fall are fantastic for brace wearers!:D

christina
09-21-2009, 02:28 PM
Has anyone worn their brace over their bottoms and under their tops? My daughter natalie who is 11 has been wearing her regular low rise jeans with a tank tucked in and then her brace over that and then another tank and whatever top she's wearing that day over her brace. So far as long as the jeans dont have buttons on the back pocket, she said it's fine. She hasnt worn her brace to school yet but i think this week sometime we will start. Also to sleep in...she has this silk nightgown with kittens all over it that she wears under her brace and that works well. :o

Mom_15
09-24-2009, 03:46 PM
When my daughter was wearing the Boston Brace, she sometimes wore it over her jeans, with a long shirt.

catinhat95
09-29-2009, 12:45 PM
My daughter always wear the pants under her brace and the shirts over. I hope low rise jeans don't go out of style!!

christina
09-29-2009, 09:35 PM
Yea, that's what natalie has been doing and it's fine. I think she just felt too awkward trying to put her pants over the brace. This way she feels more normal I think being able to wear her jeans she already had. :)

SmileyGirl8
10-20-2009, 11:10 PM
Hey Samiro,

Hi lol Im Smiley and I have been wearing my brace for about for 6 months and I really had no problem wearing it :). What I usualy wear is a light sweater if your in a hot climate and in the summer I was this cute dress vest of mine its colored black and I could actually wear T-shrits. I also wear this kind of blouse that has different patterns, it totally will hide your brace. And I wear a longsleeve under a t-shirt for not-so-hot days. I hope this will help and that you continue wearing your brace :)

brace4impact
12-10-2009, 10:36 PM
My trick with my brace is to always wear a t-shirt or some cute shirt with a hoodie or a coat in the winter. It doesnt show your straps and if you sit up straight can make it look really nice. I always buy a size up from what I normally wear and now it's great because I'm growing into them now so it looks fine on me. Don't worrying we're all in the same boat! :)

beauvais
01-05-2010, 01:05 PM
If you are in the Boston, it is similar to what my daughter does with her Cheneau - I make her a bodysuit that goes under the brace (with a crotch flap opening to use the bathroom). It's winter, so I make it with long legs. Then she loves to wear cute stretch knit dresses over her brace. So, from the outside, it looks like she's wearing a black T-shirt, leggings, and a cute dress. The brace is barely noticeable. She doesn't have to worry about layers under the brace or over and taking it on and off or anything like that. I'm always amazed at some of the complex wardrobes of the girls who wear braces, but this is just what worked for us.

RitaR
01-06-2010, 09:46 PM
I wore the world famous Milwaukee brace for years and I pretty much wore the same clothes - maybe a bit larger to account for all the plastic and metal (lots of that!) but I did do a lot of jeans, sweats, sweatshirts, big t-shirts. Still to this day I wear a lot of jackets because I am so conscious of my curve. Looks kinda weird when you're walking down the hallway at work with one hip higher than the other, one shoulder drooping, etc.

Rosebud9
01-08-2010, 09:15 PM
Hey! don't worry I've had my brace since last year and it gets easy. your brace will take a wear on Clothes but usually it's easy to wear t-shirts and comfy pants. but i do have jeans that fight over. i do have a lot of holes in my shirts from the velcro.

SmileyGirl8
01-23-2010, 04:23 PM
Hey There,
I wear my brace for 22 hours right now so yes before I did have a problem on what to wear for school and everything. It's fairly cold where I'm from so I usually wear hoodies everyday and in the summer I wear a T-shirt first then those fashionably vests you get in any store. By vest I mean those ones that like rock stars wear :D. And 1 question how long do you have to wear your brace until you can take it off?
I hope that helped you a little :p

aksor
01-25-2010, 08:58 AM
I ordered maternity bands so my daughter can weear her jeans. I didnt get it yet... I'm hoping it will fit snug enough to work. It will look like a tank top under her clothing ..layers are in style......I ordered one black and one whit with lace trim.....its a very stretchy material......If your interested I can let you know if it works......

Samantha

My daughter is a big fan of skinny jeans. Her brace pushes her jeans down and since we got her brace all she is wearing are pajamas. How do you all wear your jeans? Over or under the brace?

ilana's mom
05-25-2010, 05:38 PM
I like all the ideas, but I also tell my daughter "so what if the brace shows" I dont think it should be a big deal if it does. I tell her she looks great no matter what. the baby doll shirts are best but sometimes she just wants to wear a regular t shirt.

Ilana's mom

(Ilana's middle curve is 50 degrees)

Carly's Mom
06-01-2010, 09:33 AM
My daughter used to wear the brace to school. she'd wear hoodies or big dark tops and sports pants. When it was warm, she'd wear skirts with a light hood zip jacket to help cover the bulk of the straps.

She no longer wears it during the day to school but only at night and likes to wear it at home on the weekends. She has been wearing it now for 3 years.

I also had a dancers body suit made into a type of onsie where there are snaps at the crotch. This helps with using the bathroom. The SpineCor ones did not work well for her. I also had some bottoms made that also go under the bottom part so it would not bother her legs. We had an opening put in that too.

So, elastic loose fitting clothes work the best.

deanna87
08-28-2010, 04:08 PM
My 14 year old daughter had to get all new clothes these past couple of weeks, NONE of her old shirts fit. By accident, I bought her 2 maternity shirts and they fit great. They give just enough loose material in the front and then also kinda cuff at the bottom down past her brace. They looked really cute! She has no issues with her skinny jeans under the brace.

lovinglife
09-01-2010, 11:52 PM
hey um well i wore my brace for over 2 years now & i have 6 more months left. what i did is buy just one size bigger for pants or skirts, and for shirts if they are already loose shirts than it shoesnt show unless its white or see through. if you wanna wear t-shirts that are pretty tight i suggest you wear a tank top underneath. or a jacket. because from the front it doesnt show, except looks like you havee a very flat stomach which isnt bad. from the back the brackets might show a bit. if you want reply to this and i can send some pics of outfits that go perfectly fine wid a brace. :)