3 weeks post op and extreme fatigue.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 weeks post op and extreme fatigue.

Hi all, I'm 3 weeks out from my surgery and healing great, but feel very tired all the time. I have no energy at all. Is this normal? I'm getting around the house great but my doctor wants me to use the walker, whenever I'm up walking, for at least 4 months. I feel as through this hinders my walking and I'm not getting the exercise I should be getting since my home is rather small. The doctor told me to make a track in my house but since I don't have alot of room. I would love to start walking outside but since I live in the country without side walks this is very difficult with a walker. How long did you all have to use the walker?

Thanks for you input in advance!!!
    Kat

54 yrs. young
    T-33 degree curve
    L-53 degree curve
    Surgery (sacrum-T 10) with Dr. Bridwell in St. Louis Mo.
    on May 12 th 2009 and on the mend!!

I am really quite surprised to hear that Dr. Bridwell is encouraging you to use a walker. My doctor highly DISCOURAGES walker use except for his elderly patients. I remember when he called me at about three weeks post-op and asked me if I was walking every day and I told him yes but not without my walker because I was so fearful of falling. He told me to really try to transition to using a cane and said that using a walker forces the spine into an unnatural position which can cause kyphosis while the spine is healing.

Having no energy is certainly normal, especially so early in your recovery.

Comment

I think Dr. Bridwell has changed his ideas on using the walker. I've been talking with a lady that had surgery with him 2 years ago and she didn't have to use the walker unless she felt she needed it for support. I haven't talked to the doc since leaving the hospital. I just keep getting advice from his nurses over the phone. I don't see the doctor untill July 6th and he may lift this restriction then, hopefully!!
      Kat

54 yrs. young
      T-33 degree curve
      L-53 degree curve

Comment

Hi Kat

I used my walker for about 3 weeks. Not for walking but for support after getting out of bed. I then put the walker away and was using my night stand. I would stand there supporting with my arms for about 5 minutes.

I like the cane idea. I was using ski poles when I walked outside as I don't own a cane.

The fatigue will linger for quite some time. It took me a full year, but I also had a few other issues. LOL

My surgeon insisted that I walk outside. It must have something to do with the fresh air. My PT girl was over here all the time prodding me to go for hikes with her. The ski poles were a great defense tool with all the loose dogs that would want to lick my face and knock me down. You don't want that to happen.

The walker is used to prevent falling. If you make sure you wont fall, then you dont need the walker

Hang in there
        Ed
        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

At three weeks post-op I was sleeping a good two-thirds of the time and sitting around in a semi-coma the rest, ha ha. I wore out some carpet in our house walking inside, but it felt really good to go outside and walk WITH SOMEBODY. I used the walker for 3 months but I had other issues with leg weakness.

It takes a looooooong time to get your stamina back...try not to rush it.
          Chris
          A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
          Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
          Post-op curve: 12 degrees
          Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

I graduated from the walker to a cane in the hospital right after my second surgery with the help of the physical therapists. I probably used the cane for about three months.

Extreme fatigue is normal at three weeks. I still don't have my stamina totally back yet and I am a year and 1/2 post op. I am skating twice a week, about two hours each time, and I am able to do some gardening but I definitely have to pace myself.

Be patient. You will get there. Take care.

Sally
            Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
            Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
            Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
            Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
            New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
            Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

I came home with the walker from rehab and used it inside for maybe a week and then it stood in a corner and held stuff much like a valet. I switched to a cane, which I still use especially when out for my exercise walk. I am almost 4 months out from surgery and get very tired as the day wears on. By dinner time I am usually done for and after making dinner I am planted in front of the tv. My main problem is I wake up really early ever day for no reason other than the desire to get up and drink fresh coffee. I think exhaustion is a major part of the recovery process.
              avis
              1987 Lumbar Laminectomy (forget which levels)
              2005 A/P fusion, L2 - L5, 2/2005
              2009 2 Posterior fusions, T6 - Pelvis, 2/10 & 2/18,
              Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

Hi Kit-- good to hear from you! You'll probably find there are many ideas about walker/cane use... my doctor didn't want me to use either of them, although I ended up with a cane to help me going up and down stairs. I live in the country too, so I also used the cane when I went for my walks, just for added support/safety much of the way. Way too many little bumps and holes from deer tracks, moles, etc. I also used the cane in big stores-- unless there were shopping carts available for support. And sometimes even now I haul it along if I am going to some very crowded place-- just to let the people know not to crowd into me very much. And so far, I've also taken it on flights with me, as I find it difficult to get in and out of seats on planes... I'm on a trip right now, brought the cane for the flight, parked it once I got to my daughter's house. They are handy as they give you one more point of leverage when needed.

Yes, it is normal to be very tired and not have any energy. Your body is trying to recover from the equivalent of being hit by a Mack truck or worse. Rest is very important and since most of us would try to just work through that and do what we want, our bodies do the regulating by saying we just CAN'T do it-- no energy! It may take you quite awhile to regain your former oomph. I am at 2 years post-op now and know by looking back that it took me a very l-o-n-g time. As in well over a year and beyond-- and I think I'm still gaining on that as more time goes by. Be patient with yourself, but know it will happen.

Best wishes with your recovery-- and ask away with any questions you have. You are making huge progress-- just remember how it was back in the hospital! You are doing great.
                71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Kat,

I am just about 6 weeks out and the fatigue for me set in at 3-5 week mark. It was awful. I was also having trouble with being very sick as well. I couldn't eat much so the meds were really doing a number on me. I am feeling a little better but still have to take it slow and make sure I lay down a lot through out the day. It's frustrating I know, but as everyone else has said, you need to listen to your body.

That is the only way you are going to make progress. If you try and push it your just going to back track. As far as walking, I am in Virginia Beach and wishing I did my surgery in the winter. The heat is kicking in down here along with the humidity and I can't walk outside. I have to much trouble breathing, not to mention the sweating under neither the brace. I am hoping in a few weeks and I can try out my elliptical trainer I have in my bedroom. My Doc said it was fine for me to use. I am just not quite ready to tackle it yet! I want to start having more consistent days of not getting sick to my stomach before I worry about exercising. My husband and I will try a short walk at night once it has cooled a little but I can't get to far. Good luck and for now sleep as much as you need to and when your ready for more your body will let you know! Take care of yourself :O)
                  Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
                  50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
                  Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
                  X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
                  Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
                  Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
                  Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Thanks everyone for the advice!! I guess I'm expecting more than my body is willing to give me right now and I need to slow down and listen to it. My surgeons nurse told me not to use a cane at all because that will make me off ballanced. I do use one when I go up and down steps or am walking outside. Hopefully this won't get back to the nurse since she's so addiment about me not using it!!

Susan I was having a problem with nuasea until I stopped taking oxycontin. Mine was a slow release 2x's a day and I stopped taking my nightly dose. In a couple of days I was feeling very sick so I stopped taking the other dose and after a few more days I didn't have the nuasea anymore. Only thing bad about that is my appetite has deffinately improved and I'm eating and gaining weight, which I don't want to do!! I kinda think it was withdrawals from the drugs. I can't believe your doctor is letting you use the eliptical. Mine won't even let me use the treadmill!! At least for 4 months. I miss my exercise and think it would help me recoup faster but I better listen to the Docs!!
                    Kat

54 yrs. young
                    T-33 degree curve
                    L-53 degree curve

Comment

I am almost 3 months post-op and still get fatigued sometimes. I also have a 4 year old and teenager and work almost 30 hours a week (still on part time)and my job is a rather stressful position.

I brought home a walker from the hospital and used it for one day...and that was all! I can walk for miles and miles now...it's wonderful.

Be patient - you will have much more energy in several weeks. However, I have consistently heard it can take up to one year to get all of your energy back.

Hang in there! It does get better

Rachel

Comment

Working...
                      X