considering surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• considering surgery

i am considering 1st time surgery for lower 60 degree curve (we will not bother with the upper 40 degree curve)..
    possibly with Dr. Baron Lonner in NYC, possibly with a doctor at UCONN....
    anyone know of specific doctors in NYC and /or Conn....any suggestions would be much appreciated....
    thanx
    jess

Originally posted by jrnyc View Post
    i am considering 1st time surgery for lower 60 degree curve (we will not bother with the upper 40 degree curve)..
    possibly with Dr. Baron Lonner in NYC, possibly with a doctor at UCONN....
    anyone know of specific doctors in NYC and /or Conn....any suggestions would be much appreciated....
    thanx
    jess
    I saw Dr. Boachie and Dr. Neuwirth in NYC. Plus I saw one Dr. in NJ who I won't even name--he was that bad. Dr. B and Dr. N both had the same recommendation, I chose Dr. Neuwirth and had a great outcome.

Good luck,

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

I just had my surgery on Monday at Yale with Dr Grauer. Obviously I can't speak for the long term outcomes yet but I have received excellent care. Dr grauer was always easy to talk to and he and his office were always good about answering any questions we had. I don't know how close you are to Yale but if you aren't too far, I would say he is worth looking into.
      Sarah
      22 year old grad student
      Boston brace from 12-14
      surgery on June 1, 2009 T3 to L2
      Yale New Haven Hospital Dr. Grauer
      Thoracic curve 47*
      Thoracolumbar curve 54*

Surgery Photos
      http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...8&l=a2a5799140

Comment

continuing to consider

thanks for the replies...glad to hear good things about the surgery....my major concern is having the rods ANCHORED to my hips...is there anyone out there who can tell me about that...any information would be greatly appreciated....

jrnyc

Comment

I was very concerned about this also. However, both my first and second opinion doctors said that was what had to be done due to degeneration in discs, etc. etc. They said you could try it without going to pelvis, but I would probably be back in a year to add that. I am 10 weeks out so obviously I don't know how much flexibility there will be but I'm assuming bending at hips eventually will be it--not at waist. I am getting so I can squat fairly well for picking up stuff but still also use my grabber all the time. From posts on here I know people find ways to do things just in a different fashion.
          I know it was overall worth it because I am so much straighter and not all crumpled down. I am still concerned about my leaning to the left--opposite of the way I was before--and just really, really hope that will resolve itself when muscles get readjusted. I don't know. I felt it was because one hip was lower than the other when fused and I am trying a shoe lift but don't see any change.
          I don't know how helpful this is, but believe me, I understand the concern. Have you had a second opinion just to feel confident this is the way to go? Just an idea. Good luck. Janet
          Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
          Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
          Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
          Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
          T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Hi,

I have rods bracing most of my spine from T4 to the sacrum. Iliac bolts are anchored from the rods to my pelvis. It’s really not that bad. I had visions of myself being disabled from such a long fusion but that is not the case. I have lost flexibility which prohibits me from doing things like getting on my hands and knees to do my spring planting. While I can get down on my knees, I can’t lean forward. And I probably will always need my grabber to pick up small items off the floor. But my ability to stand without having to lean on something for support is heavenly. I can sling my handbag over my shoulder and carry it without pain or fatigue whereas before just the weight of carrying anything would leave me crumpled. And I no longer have the crushing sensation I experienced towards the end of the day as my rib cage settled onto my pelvis. This surgery for me has been a trade-off, but the benefits outweigh the loss of flexibility.

Comment

still considering

thanks to all those who replied and for the good wishes....i still have fears concerning the attachment at the pelvis..have seen two surgeons in nyc and they both recommend the same thing.....will be having one or two more consults before i decide on surgery for november....
              good luck to you guys who are recovering now...

jrnyc

Comment

Working...
              X