Feeling Sick AGAIN!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feeling Sick AGAIN!

Well just as I though I was jumping over a hurdle, I am back to being in bed sick again. I see the Dr. next week (Tuesday). I had always prepared myself for the pain but feeling sick to my stomach and slight headaches and fatigue are just not what I planned on. I know it's probably the meds but I am just so dam frustrated. OK, there's my pity party. Just had to vent a little bit. Hope the rest of you are well and for those of you recovering hope you recovering at the pace you want to be. Take care........
    Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
    50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
    Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
    X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
    Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
    Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
    Nice and straight now!!!!!

Susan, I'm sorry to hear you're feeling so bad. It's hard to feel you've stepped backwards again.

One of the things I first read on this forum was that the recovery is often two steps forward, one back. It sounds like this is what you're experiencing.

I had a queasy tummy for two months but I have been on probiotics, on the off-chance that perhaps the antibiotics given during surgery may have killed off all my good intestinal bacteria, and I must say, it has improved. Perhaps it was going to improve anyway, but it could be worth a try?

Hopefully others may have a similar story and come up with some good suggestions. Take care Susan!
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by asccbodypro View Post
      Well just as I though I was jumping over a hurdle, I am back to being in bed sick again. I see the Dr. next week (Tuesday). I had always prepared myself for the pain but feeling sick to my stomach and slight headaches and fatigue are just not what I planned on. I know it's probably the meds but I am just so dam frustrated. OK, there's my pity party. Just had to vent a little bit. Hope the rest of you are well and for those of you recovering hope you recovering at the pace you want to be. Take care........
      I"m sorry you're feeling bad again Susan. HOpefully this will pass quickly. You have every right to feel sorry for yourself.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Susan,

I am sorry to hear that. Hope you move a step forward very soon.

Best,

Diagnosed at 9, Boston brace during teenage years
        56* left thoracolumbar curve, slight rib hump
        Deciding on timing for surgery

Comment

I'm having the same problems with the nuasea and and fatigue. I've actually stopped taking some of my meds (oxycontin) thinking that was the problem and I think that has helped some with the upset stomache. I understand how you feel because last week I felt I was progressing quite rapidly and this week I seem to be back stepping as far as the fatigue. Of course I may have done a bit more than I should of like riding in a car 4 of the 7 days last week. Ijust couldn't stay in the house a moment longer with out losing my mine!! Just wanted to let you know you're not alone.
          Kat

54 yrs. young
          T-33 degree curve
          L-53 degree curve
          Surgery (sacrum-T 10) with Dr. Bridwell in St. Louis Mo.
          on May 12 th 2009 and on the mend!!

Comment

I was at the 6 week mark and quit cold turkey due to what was happening. I built up a resistance to the Oxy, and the constipation and heartburn were killing me.

Coming off your "dependency" of opiates is tough. Make sure you keep a log of what is is your are taking and let your Dr know what you are doing. Cold turkey is a bitch, I wouldn't recommend it but eventually you should cut back. It also takes a while for the drugs to filter out of your body. I quit and started slamming nutrients.

The 6 week mark was a tough time for me. After I got past it, it was smooth sailing. Steady, slow, gradual improvement
            Ed
            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

[QUOTE=Fit Kit;77967]I'm having the same problems with the nuasea and and fatigue. I've actually stopped taking some of my meds (oxycontin).... Of course I may have done a bit more than I should of like riding in a car 4 of the 7 days last week.

Kat: can't believe you stopped your oxycontin and have been out so much. No wonder you are so tired and aren't you in pain? I have been out twice. First time for the doc a week after I had been home and yesterday for my sons well baby check up with assistanace from my mother in law!
              Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
              50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
              Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
              X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
              Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
              Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
              Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

[QUOTE=asccbodypro;78063]
                Originally posted by Fit Kit View Post
                I'm having the same problems with the nuasea and and fatigue. I've actually stopped taking some of my meds (oxycontin).... Of course I may have done a bit more than I should of like riding in a car 4 of the 7 days last week.

Kat: can't believe you stopped your oxycontin and have been out so much. No wonder you are so tired and aren't you in pain? I have been out twice. First time for the doc a week after I had been home and yesterday for my sons well baby check up with assistanace from my mother in law!
                My pain levels are improving quite rapidly compared to the posts here. I don't know why but I'll take it. I still take the hydrodone through out the day but have stopped the oxy all together. I was in some pain last week but not bad enough to keep me at home. This week my hubby went back to work so I havn't been out and about at all.
                Kat

54 yrs. young
                T-33 degree curve
                L-53 degree curve
                Surgery (sacrum-T 10) with Dr. Bridwell in St. Louis Mo.
                on May 12 th 2009 and on the mend!!

Comment

i was sick from the meds really really bad, and still have to make sure i take a stool softener with every pain pill i take, 6 months post op. my body just does not adjust to the side effects. some other things that really help are eating fiber one cereal every day (they have lots of different kinds that all taste pretty good, and even if you eat just a small bowl, it makes a difference) and all bran rolled fiber wafers are super yummy and help too. hope that's not too much information for you, but i know it's miserable what the meds do to your belly!!
                  Rebecca
                  Dx w/ scoli @ age 12 S curves T-40* L-42*
                  wore night bending brace as teenager
                  Curves changed to 50's plus or minus
                  herniated disc L2-3, Discectomy October 2007
                  fusion L2-3 November 2008
                  Revision L2-3 Fusion, Removal of hardware August 2009
                  Curves measuring 52 T&L September 2010
                  Fused T4-L4, all posterior December 27th 2010
                  gained almost two inches in height

Before and After Exterior
                  Before and After X-rays
                  My blog: http://herscoliosisjourney.blogspot.com/

Comment

I was really sick all the time, I took phenergan everyday up to a week ago. About a week after I stopped the pain meds the nausea/fatigue went away. I was afraid to stop the pain meds becuase I thought it would hurt too bad. But it didn't. I switched to a muscle relaxer and tylenol or motrin. Now I don't take either. Expect to get violently ill a few days after I stopped the pain meds. I ended up in the ER dehydrated, it was awful. But now I'm drug free, pain free except after a 10hr day at the office.

Good luck!
                    ~Em

Diagnosed at 13, Milw brace-didn't wear it like I should have.
                    pre-surg 78* Thoracic,
                    post-surg 22* Thoracic.
                    Fusion from T2 to L2 scheduled for April 15, 09 in Tulsa, OK

Comment

Okay these stories are truly amazing.

I had no idea the pain meds were such a problem in terms of side effects and withdrawal.

The take-home message for me is I really, really, really hope my one daughter gets the surgery as a teenager and that her recovery is like her sister's. She is 36* - 40* at 14.5 y.o. at a Risser ~2.5 last it was determined and I don't see a surgery-free life for her at this point.

I am so sorry you guys have to go through all this stuff.
                      Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                      Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                        Okay these stories are truly amazing.

I had no idea the pain meds were such a problem in terms of side effects and withdrawal.

The take-home message for me is I really, really, really hope my one daughter gets the surgery as a teenager and that her recovery is like her sister's. She is 36* - 40* at 14.5 y.o. at a Risser ~2.5 last it was determined and I don't see a surgery-free life for her at this point.

I am so sorry you guys have to go through all this stuff.
                        Sharon,

I'm thinking that the side effects/withdrawls are more a problem for adults since generally, we are on the pain meds for a longer period. I was on for almost 3 months, and I struggled to get off the drugs with withdrawls for 3 weeks.

Hopefully your daughter won't need surgery for a long, long time, and by that time the surgical techniques are even better than we have now.

Comment

To be quite frank, for me, the withdrawals were worse than the surgery. I *coped* with the surgery, but the withdrawals really brought me down.

I don't know how you avoid becoming dependent, but my advice would be to ask your doctors about how/when to get off the drugs and if there is something that will ease the withdrawals, if they happen.

Be aware and beware, is my advice.
                          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
                            To be quite frank, for me, the withdrawals were worse than the surgery. I *coped* with the surgery, but the withdrawals really brought me down.

I don't know how you avoid becoming dependent, but my advice would be to ask your doctors about how/when to get off the drugs and if there is something that will ease the withdrawals, if they happen.

Be aware and beware, is my advice.
                            Okay now you scared me.
                            Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                            Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                              Okay now you scared me.
                              Sharon,
                              be aware, but not scared. I think the trick is to wean off very very slowly. I wish that at the end, I could have cut my pills in half, and that would have made it easier; however, my pills were capsules. The Dr.'s office could have prescribed something in a smaller dosage (something in pill form that could be cut) but didn't. If I had to do it again, that's what I'd do. SOmeone else told me they cut their pills in halfs, then quarters, then even eighths.

Comment

Working...
                              X