PT time!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PT time!

Well, I survived day one of physical therapy! Very interesting....I think I may have learned more about the spine and my own body from this woman in 45 mins, than I ever have from my surgeon. Hmmmm.....Iguess that is why he sent me?!

We are working on and will continue to work on my "very tight left hip", which is causing my unstable walk/stride, back extentions, excersise ball/ab work & butt work. I think this is going to be a good thing. She stretched my hips out.....and as uncomfortable as this was, it felt good after. I could tell I was walking a little bit better on the way out. We shall see how I feel tomorrow morning....she did say I may hate her in the am! I will assume it will all be worth it?! It better be at 30.00 a visit x 2 to 3 times a week! Yikes!
    Lynn -30.... something
    DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
    At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
    At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
    Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
    UW Madison, WI Hospital
    **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Lynn,

I had a REALLY tight left hip too, although I don't think it affected my stride. I did not have the range of motion with that leg that I had prior to surgery. I had PT for 3 months and we worked and worked to stretch it. By time I finished, it was much better than when we started, but still a problem. Within the last month or two since I stopped PT, I continued to work at it and now it's practically back to normal! I never thought it would happen and I'm thrilled.

All I have to do now is fix my stinking shoulder. I start PT for that on Thursday. I missed my exercise class for 1.5 weeks (booo-hooo) and noticed how the shoulder stiffened up. I went again tonight and really noticed a difference. I guess that means we all have to keep moving to keep limber as best we can no matter what.

It's strange; I never had these problems before surgery, but that's ok. If moving and stretching are what it takes, I'd rather have this than the back/leg pain any day.

Have fun with your PT. I enjoyed it and it sounds like you will too.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Sorry to hear about the shoulder.....man what we Scoli patients go through, huh? One thing after another so it seems. We are tough, thats for damn sure!! My PT was impressed w/the scar...lol....she said I am her longest fused patient. I was a little uncomfotable w/that BUT I have faith she knows what she's doing!

I have been meaning to ask you...I think I read somewhere down the line that you started working again? What are you doing? Are you full or part time. Getting back to work and having my regular schedule was pretty tough. Took about 3-4 wks to get my groove back. I still have to get up and move around, use my heating pad and eat Tylonol like candy, BUT, until I inherit millions or win the lotto, Im SOL!
      Lynn -30.... something
      DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
      At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
      At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
      Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
      UW Madison, WI Hospital
      **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

Sounds like the p/t will be good for you Lynn. P/t hasn't been mentioned to me, but I have my 6 month appt. in August and I gather that most start p/t about then?

Sorry to hear that shoulder is still giving you curry Debbe.
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
        X