feeling the hardware?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• feeling the hardware?

As I was stretching at my desk this afternoon, I felt some soarness around my neck, so I gave myself a little rub. While doing so, I felt what I will assume is the top part of one of the rods? It would be located at my highest fusion point...T5 Id assume. At 1st I thought it was a bone..but it doesnt make sense, based off of where its (bump) located. I thought I felt it before, same place, but blew it off, thinking I was imaging things. Think this is what it is? Should I be concerned? Has anyone else experienced this? It's really sort of gross when I think about it...if that is what it is.....yuck!

Lynn (the one with no "e" )
    Lynn -30.... something
    DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
    At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
    At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
    Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
    UW Madison, WI Hospital
    **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Oh I hear you sister! I actually had a cross piece removed in November because the set screw stuck out and was constantly being rubbed by my bra strap. I know there are days I can feel my hardware or new bone growth from the surgery. It is a weird sensation. Just wait until you shiver around your rods/fusion. I can't stand being cold because the shivering is such a gross feeling to me...but it's worth it to be out of pain and standing straight and tall!
    Geish
    47 years old, dx at 13
    +30* to the right, +60* to the left, +30* to the right
    Surgery 12-13-07 - fusion from T4 to sacrum.

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=267 Pre surgery
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...tachmentid=268 Post surgery
    http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...s/DSC01091.jpg Xray from the side
    http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1089-1-1-1.jpg Xray from the back

Comment

Originally posted by Geish View Post
      Oh I hear you sister! I actually had a cross piece removed in November because the set screw stuck out and was constantly being rubbed by my bra strap. I know there are days I can feel my hardware or new bone growth from the surgery. It is a weird sensation. Just wait until you shiver around your rods/fusion. I can't stand being cold because the shivering is such a gross feeling to me...but it's worth it to be out of pain and standing straight and tall!
      I HATE shivering! I try to avoid it if at all possible. I think I can feel the top of my hardware an inch or so below my neck when I put my hand back there. And like Lynn said, it's off-center, which seemed wierd to me. I'll have to ask the Dr. about that when I go in July.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

I DISPISE being cold for that fact alone. AND of course, Im a freezy cat all the time. It annoys Paul as he is the complete opposite and is always warm. Not fair!! Not fair!! Its a horrible feeling....when I complain that Im cold, who ever is around me, espcially these days(warmer weather) tell me Im nuts. They just dont get it......and I had my surgery in the middle of Winter...in WI!! Talk about torture!! I need to move to Hawaii!
        Lynn -30.... something
        UW Madison, WI Hospital

Comment

...OH...and I start PT today...Im so happy. Maybe I will mention my "findings" today.....I hope they go easy on me tonite....Im sure I will be sore tomorrow morning. Not looking forward to that part of it though.
          Lynn -30.... something
          UW Madison, WI Hospital

Comment

Sheena's crossbar is prominent at the top, although she doesn't feel it. Dr. saw it and said not to worry, it's more common in thin people.

Comment

Originally posted by LynnMarie74 View Post
              As I was stretching at my desk this afternoon, I felt some soarness around my neck, so I gave myself a little rub. While doing so, I felt what I will assume is the top part of one of the rods? It would be located at my highest fusion point...T5 Id assume. At 1st I thought it was a bone..but it doesnt make sense, based off of where its (bump) located. I thought I felt it before, same place, but blew it off, thinking I was imaging things. Think this is what it is? Should I be concerned? Has anyone else experienced this? It's really sort of gross when I think about it...if that is what it is.....yuck!

Lynn (the one with no "e" )
              Hi Lynn...

If you felt the bump in your neck, it's not likely to be your implants. I think T5 would be approximately an inch above your bra. It's not uncommon to feel the top of a rod or a connector. I can tell when I touch the top of my rod that it's a rod and not bone (it just feels really different).

Regards,
              Linda
              Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
              ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
              Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by debbei View Post
                I And like Lynn said, it's off-center, which seemed wierd to me. I'll have to ask the Dr. about that when I go in July.
                Hi Debbe....

The rods are attached to the pedicles, which are to the left and right of the spine body. At the top of my fusion, the rods are probably 3/4" to the left and right of center.

Regards,
                Linda
                Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Well I'm another one that can feel my hardware, and see it (from top to about the waistline- kinda weird, can also feel the last 2 bottom screws ). Dr says its because I'm thin. I expected to feel it some when leaning back on a hard surface but I can feel it as I move around, like the muscles running over the screws sort of.
                  Cold is horrible! Got an electric blanket so I didn't have to get into a cold bed and get muscle spasms which took forever to ease up. Dr says hopefully as back muscles strengthen I should feel them less or eventually might need to be removed (after the Staph I'm not jumping on that option).
                  On a high note I just got back from my appointment with the infectious disease Dr and She is finally taking me off the Bactrim DS!! It's been a year of IV and oral antibiotics and she feels we should be safe. I will still have to be aware of any pain level changes or fevers as there could still be infection on the hardware but boy this is a good feeling!
                  2 60* curves, DDD, left trunk shift, some rotation, rib and lumbar humps, annular tear at L5-S1
                  surgery 5/08 planning fusion T3 or T4 to sacrum with iliac fixation
                  Dr. Anderson at Rothman Institute
                  5/16/08 ALIF L1-L5
                  5/23/08 fused T2-sacrum w/fixation and I'm all Titanium
                  6/4/08 open all back up to clean out for Staph infection
                  (left open with just clear dressing)
                  6/6/08 recleaned and closed
                  3/30/2012 revision planned, broken rod and removal of iliac bolts

Comment

I used to be able to feel my hardware. Now I've added about 45lbs and can't feel them anymore. I need to lose about 30lbs and I'll be able to again.

Hrmm....

Maybe thats a goal I can work towards! Being able to feel my hardware again. I know it would freak my wife out... Hrmmm... Yeah thats a good idea!

Brad
                    Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
                    Still have 57 degree curve
                    2 Harrington rods
                    Luque method used
                    Dr David Bradford
                    Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
                    Preop xray (with brace on)
                    Postop xray

Comment

Originally posted by Qikdraw View Post
                      I used to be able to feel my hardware. Now I've added about 45lbs and can't feel them anymore. I need to lose about 30lbs and I'll be able to again.

Hrmm....

Maybe thats a goal I can work towards! Being able to feel my hardware again. I know it would freak my wife out... Hrmmm... Yeah thats a good idea!

Brad
                      Why do you men insist on freaking the wife out? lol I have the reverse....I insisted my husband feel it...he wouldnt, and I wouldnt let up...finally, he did a quick reach over....barly touched me...lol...said nope, dont feel anything!
                      Lynn -30.... something
                      UW Madison, WI Hospital

Comment

Originally posted by Sherie View Post
                        Sheena's crossbar is prominent at the top, although she doesn't feel it. Dr. saw it and said not to worry, it's more common in thin people.
                        Yep ... I can see my L1 bottom attachment, and I can absolutely feel it.

I actually had to deflate the lumbar support in my car because it was just riiiiiiiight on it - and so annoying. Add to that, one of my 4 stitches still trying to spit is exactly in the middle of that lump. Ack! Electric shocks if I lean on it wrong ...

Not such a great thing when you're driving.

The rods I cannot feel ... although my massage therapist can.
                        Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                        AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                        Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                        Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                        EMAIL ME

Comment

Originally posted by txmarinemom View Post
                          Ack! Electric shocks if I lean on it wrong ...
                          Ouch! Sounds like the time my filling cracked and touched my nerve root, electrical shocks every 15 minutes, I had to run all over Houston on a Saturday to find a dentist to pull it. I guess you don't have that option.

Originally posted by txmarinemom View Post
                          The rods I cannot feel ... although my massage therapist can.
                          Sheena's still very sensitive around her incision, how did you overcome that to tolerate massages? I've offered to massage her gently but she just refuses, actually she hated them before surgery (ever heard of anyone who hated massages?) so no wonder she doesn't want them now. I'm sure it would help with the tension.

Comment

Ouch! Sounds like the time my filling cracked and touched my nerve root, electrical shocks every 15 minutes, I had to run all over Houston on a Saturday to find a dentist to pull it. I guess you don't have that option.
                            And, nooooo ... I don't think I *want* that option! LOL

Sheena's still very sensitive around her incision, how did you overcome that to tolerate massages?
                            My incision isn't sensitive, and never has been. For me, that area is just numb.

The 2 hr deep, DEEP tissue massages help me sooooo much. He spends probably 30-45 minutes of that working on getting my pecs to loosen up. How do you think Sheena would be with someone working her chest wall/shoulders across the front vs. touching her back? If they could get the front to loosen up (and even work the scapula while she's lying on her back), I think she might really get some relief from the thoracic pain.

Regards,
                            Pam
                            Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                            AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                            Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                            Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                            EMAIL ME

Comment

I still hate wearing a bra. It's a horrible feeling. There's still some swelling at the top of my rods and I can feel them when I lean against a hard chair-back.
                              Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
                              X