PDA

View Full Version : feeling the hardware?

LynnMarie74
06-01-2009, 03:10 PM
As I was stretching at my desk this afternoon, I felt some soarness around my neck, so I gave myself a little rub. While doing so, I felt what I will assume is the top part of one of the rods? It would be located at my highest fusion point...T5 Id assume. At 1st I thought it was a bone..but it doesnt make sense, based off of where its (bump) located. I thought I felt it before, same place, but blew it off, thinking I was imaging things. Think this is what it is? Should I be concerned? Has anyone else experienced this? It's really sort of gross when I think about it...if that is what it is.....yuck! :eek:

Lynn (the one with no "e" :D )

Geish
06-01-2009, 03:47 PM
Oh I hear you sister! I actually had a cross piece removed in November because the set screw stuck out and was constantly being rubbed by my bra strap. I know there are days I can feel my hardware or new bone growth from the surgery. It is a weird sensation. Just wait until you shiver around your rods/fusion. I can't stand being cold because the shivering is such a gross feeling to me...but it's worth it to be out of pain and standing straight and tall!

debbei
06-01-2009, 04:24 PM
Oh I hear you sister! I actually had a cross piece removed in November because the set screw stuck out and was constantly being rubbed by my bra strap. I know there are days I can feel my hardware or new bone growth from the surgery. It is a weird sensation. Just wait until you shiver around your rods/fusion. I can't stand being cold because the shivering is such a gross feeling to me...but it's worth it to be out of pain and standing straight and tall!

I HATE shivering! I try to avoid it if at all possible. I think I can feel the top of my hardware an inch or so below my neck when I put my hand back there. And like Lynn said, it's off-center, which seemed wierd to me. I'll have to ask the Dr. about that when I go in July.

LynnMarie74
06-01-2009, 04:30 PM
I DISPISE being cold for that fact alone. AND of course, Im a freezy cat all the time. It annoys Paul as he is the complete opposite and is always warm. Not fair!! Not fair!! Its a horrible feeling....when I complain that Im cold, who ever is around me, espcially these days(warmer weather) tell me Im nuts. They just dont get it......and I had my surgery in the middle of Winter...in WI!! Talk about torture!! I need to move to Hawaii! :)

LynnMarie74
06-01-2009, 04:32 PM
...OH...and I start PT today...Im so happy. Maybe I will mention my "findings" today.....I hope they go easy on me tonite....Im sure I will be sore tomorrow morning. Not looking forward to that part of it though.

Sherie
06-01-2009, 05:19 PM
Sheena's crossbar is prominent at the top, although she doesn't feel it. Dr. saw it and said not to worry, it's more common in thin people.

LindaRacine
06-01-2009, 06:17 PM
As I was stretching at my desk this afternoon, I felt some soarness around my neck, so I gave myself a little rub. While doing so, I felt what I will assume is the top part of one of the rods? It would be located at my highest fusion point...T5 Id assume. At 1st I thought it was a bone..but it doesnt make sense, based off of where its (bump) located. I thought I felt it before, same place, but blew it off, thinking I was imaging things. Think this is what it is? Should I be concerned? Has anyone else experienced this? It's really sort of gross when I think about it...if that is what it is.....yuck! :eek:

Lynn (the one with no "e" :D )

Hi Lynn...

If you felt the bump in your neck, it's not likely to be your implants. I think T5 would be approximately an inch above your bra. It's not uncommon to feel the top of a rod or a connector. I can tell when I touch the top of my rod that it's a rod and not bone (it just feels really different).

Regards,
Linda

LindaRacine
06-01-2009, 06:20 PM
I And like Lynn said, it's off-center, which seemed wierd to me. I'll have to ask the Dr. about that when I go in July.

Hi Debbe....

The rods are attached to the pedicles, which are to the left and right of the spine body. At the top of my fusion, the rods are probably 3/4" to the left and right of center.

Regards,
Linda

Sharshe
06-02-2009, 11:43 AM
Well I'm another one that can feel my hardware, and see it (from top to about the waistline- kinda weird, can also feel the last 2 bottom screws ). Dr says its because I'm thin. I expected to feel it some when leaning back on a hard surface but I can feel it as I move around, like the muscles running over the screws sort of.
Cold is horrible! Got an electric blanket so I didn't have to get into a cold bed and get muscle spasms which took forever to ease up. Dr says hopefully as back muscles strengthen I should feel them less or eventually might need to be removed (after the Staph I'm not jumping on that option).
On a high note I just got back from my appointment with the infectious disease Dr and She is finally taking me off the Bactrim DS!!:D It's been a year of IV and oral antibiotics and she feels we should be safe. I will still have to be aware of any pain level changes or fevers as there could still be infection on the hardware but boy this is a good feeling!

Qikdraw
06-02-2009, 12:45 PM
I used to be able to feel my hardware. Now I've added about 45lbs and can't feel them anymore. I need to lose about 30lbs and I'll be able to again.

Hrmm....

Maybe thats a goal I can work towards! Being able to feel my hardware again. I know it would freak my wife out... Hrmmm... Yeah thats a good idea! :D

Brad

LynnMarie74
06-02-2009, 02:33 PM
I used to be able to feel my hardware. Now I've added about 45lbs and can't feel them anymore. I need to lose about 30lbs and I'll be able to again.

Hrmm....

Maybe thats a goal I can work towards! Being able to feel my hardware again. I know it would freak my wife out... Hrmmm... Yeah thats a good idea! :D

Brad

Why do you men insist on freaking the wife out? lol :) I have the reverse....I insisted my husband feel it...he wouldnt, and I wouldnt let up...finally, he did a quick reach over....barly touched me...lol...said nope, dont feel anything! :)

txmarinemom
06-02-2009, 04:55 PM
Sheena's crossbar is prominent at the top, although she doesn't feel it. Dr. saw it and said not to worry, it's more common in thin people.

Yep ... I can see my L1 bottom attachment, and I can absolutely feel it.

I actually had to deflate the lumbar support in my car because it was just riiiiiiiight on it - and so annoying. Add to that, one of my 4 stitches still trying to spit is exactly in the middle of that lump. Ack! Electric shocks if I lean on it wrong ...

Not such a great thing when you're driving.

The rods I cannot feel ... although my massage therapist can.

Sherie
06-02-2009, 05:22 PM
Ack! Electric shocks if I lean on it wrong ...

Ouch! Sounds like the time my filling cracked and touched my nerve root, electrical shocks every 15 minutes, I had to run all over Houston on a Saturday to find a dentist to pull it. I guess you don't have that option.:)

The rods I cannot feel ... although my massage therapist can.

Sheena's still very sensitive around her incision, how did you overcome that to tolerate massages? I've offered to massage her gently but she just refuses, actually she hated them before surgery (ever heard of anyone who hated massages?) so no wonder she doesn't want them now. I'm sure it would help with the tension.

txmarinemom
06-02-2009, 05:33 PM
Ouch! Sounds like the time my filling cracked and touched my nerve root, electrical shocks every 15 minutes, I had to run all over Houston on a Saturday to find a dentist to pull it. I guess you don't have that option.:)

And, nooooo ... I don't think I *want* that option! LOL

Sheena's still very sensitive around her incision, how did you overcome that to tolerate massages?

My incision isn't sensitive, and never has been. For me, that area is just numb.

The 2 hr deep, DEEP tissue massages help me sooooo much. He spends probably 30-45 minutes of that working on getting my pecs to loosen up. How do you think Sheena would be with someone working her chest wall/shoulders across the front vs. touching her back? If they could get the front to loosen up (and even work the scapula while she's lying on her back), I think she might really get some relief from the thoracic pain.

Regards,
Pam

JenniferG
06-02-2009, 11:06 PM
I still hate wearing a bra.:eek: It's a horrible feeling. There's still some swelling at the top of my rods and I can feel them when I lean against a hard chair-back. :eek:

Geish
06-02-2009, 11:40 PM
I need to move to Hawaii! :)

I actually plan on moving to Maui by the end of this summer! We are on the 2 year plan and August 10th is 2 years since we made the decision to make the move. Looks like it will be early to mid September for the move! I can hardly wait.

Sherie
06-02-2009, 11:59 PM
How do you think Sheena would be with someone working her chest wall/shoulders across the front vs. touching her back? If they could get the front to loosen up (and even work the scapula while she's lying on her back), I think she might really get some relief from the thoracic pain.

Regards,
Pam

I think she would be mortified to have someone touching her chest, she's not a touchy kind of person. I have to pay her for hugs. I should forget the massage idea, I think the only thing she hates more is needles. I'm going to have her read the exercises you posted and get her to try those.

debbei
06-03-2009, 06:10 AM
I still hate wearing a bra.:eek: It's a horrible feeling. There's still some swelling at the top of my rods and I can feel them when I lean against a hard chair-back. :eek:

Me too, Me too!!! I don't think I feel the hardware, but I HATE wearing a bra. If I wear on for too long, I always end up with muscle spasms. It's been quite something now that I've started work. I get home and rip it off first thing.

txmarinemom
06-03-2009, 12:01 PM
I think she would be mortified to have someone touching her chest, she's not a touchy kind of person. I have to pay her for hugs. I should forget the massage idea, I think the only thing she hates more is needles. I'm going to have her read the exercises you posted and get her to try those.

I should have clarified, Sherie, it's the area "above the sheet" that my massage guy works ... mid-sternum out to my shoulder, then under the anterior surface of my scapula. If Sheena's that sensitive to touch, however, I suppose it's a rather moot detail, eh? :)

Hopefully the exercises will give her some relief from the tightness, and strengthen the areas that haven't been used in so long. Please keep us posted on how she's doing if you can convince her to try them!

Regards,
Pam

gabs mum
06-03-2009, 04:02 PM
Hi Sherie,
I don't know if this will help Sheena but I have been reading about it and it sounds interesting anyway.
Check out the link http://www.rejuvehealth.com.au/?gclid=CO7D0I7-7poCFZUvpAodAUxPBA . I am sure it is available elsewhere. Let me know what you think. All is well here. Will catch up with you soon.
Donna.

gabs mum
06-03-2009, 04:10 PM
This one may be better. A 'rub and go' apparently. Try link
http://www.rejuvehealth.com/Ancient-Minerals-Magnesium-Gel+/Ancient-Minerals-Magnesium-Gel+-240ml.html

Sherie
06-03-2009, 09:03 PM
Thanks Donna, I'll look into that. I've never heard of it before but I imagine it's available in health food stores.

Take care:)

txmarinemom
06-03-2009, 09:43 PM
Ahhhh ... had my massage today, and am loose as can be - yay! All the tightness through the thoracic area is gone, and I'm starting a hot yoga class Friday (my massage therapist teaches it) to help keep things loose.

It was a pretty interesting visit in that I'm starting school in July to get my AS in Massage Therapy (you know it ... working with pre-op and post-op scoli patients, of course ;-): We spent most of the 2 hours talking about that while he worked on me.

He also showed me a gadget he has and uses on himself, and I am SO about to get on Amazon and order one after trying it. It's called the Theracane (http://www.theracane.com/index.html), and my days of lying on tennis balls (and sometimes even golf balls) are done! I walked this tool along the inside edge of my scapula and up to "that spot", Debbe, at the upper inside corner of the shoulder blade ... the rhomboid area so many of us post-ops feel burning in from time to time and it was SO on the money.

Sherie, for someone like Sheena who is either embarrassed or weird about anyone else touching their back (maybe if she had control it wouldn't be as freaky to her?), this could be a substitute to seeing a massage therapist ...

I know I LOVED it!

Regards,
Pam

debbei
06-04-2009, 05:25 AM
Ahhhh ... had my massage today, and am loose as can be - yay! All the tightness through the thoracic area is gone, and I'm starting a hot yoga class Friday (my massage therapist teaches it) to help keep things loose.

It was a pretty interesting visit in that I'm starting school in July to get my AS in Massage Therapy (you know it ... working with pre-op and post-op scoli patients, of course ;-): We spent most of the 2 hours talking about that while he worked on me.

He also showed me a gadget he has and uses on himself, and I am SO about to get on Amazon and order one after trying it. It's called the Theracane (http://www.theracane.com/index.html), and my days of lying on tennis balls (and sometimes even golf balls) are done! I walked this tool along the inside edge of my scapula and up to "that spot", Debbe, at the upper inside corner of the shoulder blade ... the rhomboid area so many of us post-ops feel burning in from time to time and it was SO on the money.

Sherie, for someone like Sheena who is either embarrassed or weird about anyone else touching their back (maybe if she had control it wouldn't be as freaky to her?), this could be a substitute to seeing a massage therapist ...

I know I LOVED it!

Regards,
Pam

OMG PAM I want that thing!! That's the exact spot on my back that you describe. Mine is bothering me as we speak. It used to burn and pinch in the beginning now it just screams at me---RUB ME!! It's very tight. And of course I can't reach back there. Maybe I'll order your gadget tonight. I'll tell you, I could sure use someone like you up here to work on my back! I'm afraid to go to someone who might mess me up. Sigh.....

And how wonderful that your class can work on you as practice. :)

Sherie
06-04-2009, 10:08 AM

I know I LOVED it!

Regards,
Pam

Yeah, something like this might work for her. I'm going to show her the website and see what she thinks. For $40 you can't go wrong. I think I could even use this thing if she doesn't.

thanks again Pam, let me know where you set up shop in case I can convince Sheena to go for a massage someday.

txmarinemom
06-04-2009, 11:28 AM
OMG PAM I want that thing!! That's the exact spot on my back that you describe.

LOL ... I really did order one last night ... expedited shipping!

I'll tell you, I could sure use someone like you up here to work on my back! I'm afraid to go to someone who might mess me up. Sigh.....

Yeah, I'm really excited about focusing on pre-op/post-op scoli patients.

I've learned SO much from the guy that works on me, and he, in turn, has learned a lot about how to work on a "challenging" back - and the muscles that are commonly affected after fusion. He's been so supportive of my decision, and is already prepared for me pick his brain on a regular basis!

txmarinemom
06-04-2009, 11:30 AM
Yeah, something like this might work for her. I'm going to show her the website and see what she thinks. For $40 you can't go wrong. I think I could even use this thing if she doesn't.

thanks again Pam, let me know where you set up shop in case I can convince Sheena to go for a massage someday.

Sherie,

Look on Amazon before you pay listed retail: I got mine (including expedited shipping) for $37 last night. Heck, if Sheena doesn't want to commit to buying one sight unseen, she can try mine out first - LOL!

Qikdraw
06-04-2009, 01:38 PM
Why do you men insist on freaking the wife out? lol :) I have the reverse....I insisted my husband feel it...he wouldnt, and I wouldnt let up...finally, he did a quick reach over....barly touched me...lol...said nope, dont feel anything! :)

LOL :D

Well right now the one thing that freaks my wife out is my knee. It crackles like rice crispies when I straighten it at certain angles. Not only is it fairly loud, when I put her hand on it she can feel it going 'snap, crackle, pop'. She hates that, which is probably why I do it. :p

Pam,

Very cool that you're going in that direction. Let us know when you have set up shop and if you'll start classes to help spouses give massages I'll sign my wife & I up.

LynnMarie74
06-04-2009, 02:44 PM
Brad Brad Brad......antagonizing your poor wife like that, you outta be ashamed of yourself! :D I would do the exact same thing! lol

The way I look at it is that you have to have a sense of humor about the whole thing, because we all really went thru alot to get to where we are now & heck, we should have some fun with it! Our backs & our surguries seem so common to us here....but to our family, friends and co-workers, they comtinue to be amazed at what we've been thru, how quickly we recover and feel healthy again.or vise versa. Here, we are all in the same boat, sharing similar stories & experiences, etc.....outside of here.....people look and listen in amazment! lol Sometimes it can be quite humorous! And whenever I hear someone talking about a big surgery or procedure and go on and on about how painful it will be or was...I always chime in with "...or you can just skip that and have 12 level spinal fusion?!" Then there is silence! lol :) Its fun!

Oh well, enough of my going on about nothing...I forget what the heck I was even posting about to begin with!? lol Oh yea....feeling the hardware...thats right! Its still really gross! My PT says yes, what Im feeling it the hardware and thought it was pretty cool that I was so nonchalant about it! :)

Lynn

Qikdraw
06-04-2009, 03:23 PM
Brad Brad Brad......antagonizing your poor wife like that, you outta be ashamed of yourself! :D I would do the exact same thing! lol

LOL

I think thats what makes a good relationship last... Freaking the other spouse out. :D

The way I look at it is that you have to have a sense of humor about the whole thing, because we all really went thru alot to get to where we are now & heck, we should have some fun with it! Our backs & our surguries seem so common to us here....but to our family, friends and co-workers, they comtinue to be amazed at what we've been thru, how quickly we recover and feel healthy again.or vise versa. Here, we are all in the same boat, sharing similar stories & experiences, etc.....outside of here.....people look and listen in amazment! lol Sometimes it can be quite humorous!

This forum has been great for me. Not only to be able to talk to people who understand, but to joke with them abotu it too. Even though my surgery is 25 years past I am finding this to be incredibly healing for me. I have NEVER been able to talk to anyone who understands. My father never understood how I could be in pain, but have no physical symptoms until about 4 years ago when he told me he is having his hip replaced and he talked about being in pain, not sleeping well at night, not being able to do everything he wanted to, etc... I just told him 'welcome to my world', he finally got it. A little late, but he got it. :D

And whenever I hear someone talking about a big surgery or procedure and go on and on about how painful it will be or was...I always chime in with "...or you can just skip that and have 12 level spinal fusion?!" Then there is silence! lol :) Its fun!

LOL My wife & I went to a resort one time and there were these two older couples and the two guys were talking about their open heart surgeries. Swapping scar stories and the like. They looked at me at one point and said not to worry that one day I'll have scar stories too. I laughed and said I've had them since I was 12, I turned about and showed them the two feet of scars on my back and told them what happened. The look on their face was pretty funny. :p

Oh well, enough of my going on about nothing...I forget what the heck I was even posting about to begin with!? lol Oh yea....feeling the hardware...thats right! Its still really gross! My PT says yes, what Im feeling it the hardware and thought it was pretty cool that I was so nonchalant about it! :)

Lynn

Well its not like 'we' can be freaked out by it. Its in us after all. lol

Brad

skoshi314
06-13-2009, 01:18 AM
Two things really struck a cord with me: I HATE shivering and I HATE wearing a bra! The shivering is obvious but the bra thing is strange. It not only bothers my back but it is really bothersome on my ribs. I still have a pronounced ribcage and it tends to be sensitive. When I walk in the door after work, I leave a trail from the door to the closet: purse, keys, shoes, socks or hose, watch, shirt, pants, bra. I just can't wait to put on my lazy pants and a big T-shirt!

asccbodypro
06-13-2009, 12:36 PM
I am not sure if what I am feeling in my back is hardware or not. When I lift my shoulders my traps and romboids feels as though they move as one piece up and down, as though they are attached to something and it just feels sooo weird. I can't really even describe how it feels. I just hope with time that when it heals it will start to feel normal. It doesn't hurt it is just weird!