X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shortening of breath and tightening of chest

Hello All,
    I think I just posted in the wrong place. Blame it on the meds
    Well I have been experiencing shortness of breath and tightening in my chest. Has anyone else experienced the same thing? Thanks so much!
    I have asked my PA and she said this is normal but it is not improving. Also
    I have not been able to sleep through the night at all due to discomfort can any recommend any sleeping positions that have helped them? I purchased a body pillow today!

Thanks so much!
    Simone

Simone...
    Both of these are normal. Your body's been thru a MAJOR surgery..it's to be expected. I had some lung/breathing issues for the 1st 4 weeks...but one day it just got better. I also had issues sleeping...still do to be completely honest. Pillows, a matress topper, sleeping pills...nothing but my couch seems to work unfortunatly. Id say if your breathing problems persist and/or get worse and not any better, you should probably advise your surgeon. I hope everything else is going ok for you!

Take care!!
    Lynn -30.... something
    DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
    At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
    At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
    Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
    UW Madison, WI Hospital
    **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

Simone,

Maybe these things can be normal (I didn't have them though), but if I were in your position I would certainly feel better if a doctor, even if only a GP, checked me out in person to rule out other problems. It sure couldn't hurt, right?

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Simone,

Not sure if we chatted about this already. As you said, blame it on the meds lol. I have been having breathing issues as well. When I get up from a lying position I take 3 very fast inhales that seems to happen on their own. I have no control over it and it hurts in the back of my lungs and around the rib cage and then there are times when I just can't breath well due to the brace. Still though I can't get a good deep breath it hurts at the bottom of my lungs. I was told by my Doc's nurse that everything I was feeling was normal. Weeks 4 and 5 I was in bed most of the time because I was sick (stomach issues, eating issues and the breathing) she claimed it was normal. I have my next apt. next week so we'll see what the surgeon has to say about it. Frankly he is just getting on nerves lately. The answer to every question is oh that's fine. Also, I know probably everyone has had this problem but getting my meds refilled is just a pain in my ass. I never swear but on this issue I think it calls for it! Just had to get that one off my chest! Good luck and I hope you feel better soon........
        Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
        50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
        Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
        X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
        Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
        Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
        Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

shortness of breath

Yup, I've had some of that, although I haven't really owned up to it yet. It always goes away. And, it takes nothing to get me winded. And, once I get winded I just can't hardly breathe it hurts so bad.
          my dr just told me couple weeks ago im at 80 deg + thoracolumbar. Awaiting call back from back surgeon's office.... like I want to know what they're going to say... But, Lord knows I can't continue this.
          As for positions - I ALWAYS keep a pillow between my knees no matter if I'm lying on my right or left side. It helps keep the alignment good - well, as good as we get I guess. It really does help me.
          Rita Thompson
          Age 46
          Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
          Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
          Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
          Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

Originally posted by RitaR View Post
            Yup, I've had some of that, although I haven't really owned up to it yet. It always goes away. And, it takes nothing to get me winded. And, once I get winded I just can't hardly breathe it hurts so bad.
            my dr just told me couple weeks ago im at 80 deg + thoracolumbar. Awaiting call back from back surgeon's office.... like I want to know what they're going to say... But, Lord knows I can't continue this.
            As for positions - I ALWAYS keep a pillow between my knees no matter if I'm lying on my right or left side. It helps keep the alignment good - well, as good as we get I guess. It really does help me.
            Rita,

I'm not understanding--have you already had surgery and you're 80 degrees?

Comment

No - not yet. My dr is trying to get ahold of Dr. Lenke to schedule me a visit to talk about surgery.
              Rita Thompson
              Age 46

Comment

Originally posted by RitaR View Post
                No - not yet. My dr is trying to get ahold of Dr. Lenke to schedule me a visit to talk about surgery.
                Hi Rita,

I just responded to another of your posts. Why don't you try to schedule it yourself? Just give their office a call tomorrow. Maybe you'll have better luck than your Dr.'s office. You can always throw your doctor's name around.

Comment

hello all~
                  My breathing is horrible also! I think walking a lot will increase your lung capacity. I didn't do that like I should have. I'm almost 7wks post-op and I just slept on my side for the first time last night. I still use a wedge in the bed and/or sleep in my recliner half the night most nights. Sleeping is the worst part for me...well now that my nerve endings are reconnecting the pain has increased some. I was completely of prescription meds, but last night after working a 10hr day I couldn't wait for a pill.

I started back to work at 8hr days last week, then moved up to 10hr days this week. It has been harder than I thought it would. I think mostly from sitting in the same position without reclining any. I get up and walk around every hour, but just want to lay down for a minute or two.

When will I feel even close to normal???
                  ~Em

Diagnosed at 13, Milw brace-didn't wear it like I should have.
                  pre-surg 78* Thoracic,
                  post-surg 22* Thoracic.
                  Fusion from T2 to L2 scheduled for April 15, 09 in Tulsa, OK

Comment

Originally posted by emwonderfull View Post
                    hello all~
                    My breathing is horrible also! I think walking a lot will increase your lung capacity. I didn't do that like I should have. I'm almost 7wks post-op and I just slept on my side for the first time last night. I still use a wedge in the bed and/or sleep in my recliner half the night most nights. Sleeping is the worst part for me...well now that my nerve endings are reconnecting the pain has increased some. I was completely of prescription meds, but last night after working a 10hr day I couldn't wait for a pill.

I started back to work at 8hr days last week, then moved up to 10hr days this week. It has been harder than I thought it would. I think mostly from sitting in the same position without reclining any. I get up and walk around every hour, but just want to lay down for a minute or two.

When will I feel even close to normal???
                    Oh my Em, I'm just back to work at almost 8 months post op, and an 8 hour day is knocking me on my butt. I don't know how you do it! I also know what you mean about wanting to lay down for a few minutes.

Comment

Ya know - I actually have visions at work while I'm running up and down the halls or running the stairs or just sitting at my computer - of just how wonderful it would be to just be able to lie down for if only a few minutes....
                      Thank goodness - I have my least amount of pain when I'm lying in bed. If that ever becomes as painful as I am during the day, I will go NUTS!
                      Rita Thompson
                      Age 46

Comment

Hello all~
                        Just as I was starting to get used to being back at work I got jury duty. Carrying a purse all day killed me. I emptied as much out as I could but I was so sore. Then sitting was a lot worse than work; I have a great chair at work.

Is anyone else having breathing/lung issues? I'm 8-9 wks post-op and I feel like my chest rattles in my lower lungs. I have trouble talking too much, if I talk very much I start coughing. But I still don't have enough lung capacity to cough good. It's almost like my throat is still raw from the tube during surgery. Did anyone else have this problem so long after surgery or still?
                        ~Em

Diagnosed at 13, Milw brace-didn't wear it like I should have.
                        pre-surg 78* Thoracic,
                        post-surg 22* Thoracic.
                        Fusion from T2 to L2 scheduled for April 15, 09 in Tulsa, OK

Comment

Originally posted by emwonderfull View Post
                          Hello all~
                          Just as I was starting to get used to being back at work I got jury duty. Carrying a purse all day killed me. I emptied as much out as I could but I was so sore. Then sitting was a lot worse than work; I have a great chair at work.

Is anyone else having breathing/lung issues? I'm 8-9 wks post-op and I feel like my chest rattles in my lower lungs. I have trouble talking too much, if I talk very much I start coughing. But I still don't have enough lung capacity to cough good. It's almost like my throat is still raw from the tube during surgery. Did anyone else have this problem so long after surgery or still?
                          Rattling in the lungs and coughing when talking too much--that's NOT good. If it were me, I'd definitely go get that checked out asap.

Let us know how you are, ok?

Comment

breathing issues!

I am about 9 weeks post-op and exercising now and the breating has gotten better but I still can't get a deep deep breath without it hurting. I don't have any of the rattling that some have spoke about thank god. Good luck to all of those who are still having some issue!
                            Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
                            50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
                            Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
                            X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
                            Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
                            Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
                            Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                            X