Surgery on Monday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery on Monday

My surgery is finally coming up on monday I'm starting to get nervous but I'm also just excited to be done waiting! I found out at my pre-op that I will be fused t2 to l2 and that I will probably be in the pediatric part of the hospital after my surgery even though I am 20. I guess this is because the nurses and staff there deal with this surgery more often. I think it is probably better because I know my parents can stay if I'm there but has anyone else had this happen?
    I don't post too much on here but I read it all the time and it has been so helpful for me the past few months!
    Sarah
    22 year old grad student
    Boston brace from 12-14
    surgery on June 1, 2009 T3 to L2
    Yale New Haven Hospital Dr. Grauer
    Thoracic curve 47*
    Thoracolumbar curve 54*

Surgery Photos
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...8&l=a2a5799140

Sarah,

Good luck on Monday.

I'll look forward to hearing how it went.

Can I ask how large your curves were when you were skeletally mature and came out of the brace?

That is, how much did your curves move, if any, after your were skeletally mature?

Again, good luck.

sharon
    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Originally posted by sarah105 View Post
      My surgery is finally coming up on monday I'm starting to get nervous but I'm also just excited to be done waiting! I found out at my pre-op that I will be fused t2 to l2 and that I will probably be in the pediatric part of the hospital after my surgery even though I am 20. I guess this is because the nurses and staff there deal with this surgery more often. I think it is probably better because I know my parents can stay if I'm there but has anyone else had this happen?
      I don't post too much on here but I read it all the time and it has been so helpful for me the past few months!
      Good luck Sarah. I bet you'll get more attention in the pediatric area, so good for you. You will be in my thoughts. Let us know how you are when you have a chance!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Sarah-- that's exciting that it's almost your big day. It'll be tough at first, but you will bounce back quickly. Yes, I'm sure they'll watch over you diligently in the pediatric section. Best wishes for a great outcome and a relatively quick recovery. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers. Hugs, Susie
        71 and plugging along... but having some problems
        2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
        5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
        Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
        CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
        10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Thanks so much! I will try and let you know how it went as soon as I can.

When I stopped wearing my brace my curves were both around 35*. About 2 years later they were both around 42* and now after about 7 years out of the brace they are about 48* thorasic and 54* thoracolumbar. Surgery was offered to me as an option when the curves were around 42* but they said I didn't have to and we could always wait and see if it was going to get worse. I had no pain at the time but it has started to bother me over the past few years.
          Sarah
          22 year old grad student
          Boston brace from 12-14
          Thoracic curve 47*
          Thoracolumbar curve 54*

Surgery Photos

Comment

Hey Sara,

Good luck on Monday! I'll keep you in my thoughts. I am two weeks post op so I can tell you from recent experience that the first night is kind of rough but it gets better everyday. The pediatric wing of the hospital is probably best. I was in the adult ICU and Intermediate care units after my surgery and the nurses there had only seen scoli patients a few times. I had a lot of issues come up during my 8 day stay but I managed to get home in one piece. Beware, you will get absolutely no sleep while you are in the hospital. Those dang nurses won't let you get any shut eye. They are always poking you with needles and taking vitals and what not! Oh well, guess they are just doing their jobs. Anywho, good luck and let us know how everything turns out.

Best,
            Allison
            ~Allison~

23 y/o

49* Thoracic
            56* Lumbar

Posterior Spinal Fusion T4 to L4
            Surgery scheduled for May 18, 2009

Dr. Matthew Geck
            Austin, TX

Comment

Originally posted by sarah105 View Post
              Thanks so much! I will try and let you know how it went as soon as I can.

When I stopped wearing my brace my curves were both around 35*. About 2 years later they were both around 42* and now after about 7 years out of the brace they are about 48* thorasic and 54* thoracolumbar. Surgery was offered to me as an option when the curves were around 42* but they said I didn't have to and we could always wait and see if it was going to get worse. I had no pain at the time but it has started to bother me over the past few years.
              Did you stop wearing the brace because you were told you were skeletally mature?

The claim out there is that if you are less than 50* at that point, you will not progress to surgery territory in your lifetime.

But yours is not the first testimonial I've read where folks were clearly sub-surgical presumably at maturity but still needed surgery by their 30's or 40's.

My daughter is 36*-40* and will soon be skeletally mature. Ask me if I believe she isn't looking at surgery in her lifetime.

I think there are some cases where brace wear can be shown to only delay surgery rather than avoid it. If that comes out, you heard it here first.

I don't think my formerly braced daughter is in that category because I don't think the brace was holding her curve. But I think there might be other kids in that category like maybe yourself. What do you think? Do you think bracing only delayed your surgery?
              Last edited by Pooka1; 05-31-2009, 09:31 AM.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Good luck on monday Sarah!

If you can have your mother take a 'before' picture of your back, and then later on take an 'after' picture. It'll just be a neat historical moment for you in the future.

Brad
                Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
                Still have 57 degree curve
                2 Harrington rods
                Luque method used
                Dr David Bradford
                Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
                Preop xray (with brace on)
                Postop xray

Comment

Good luck to you! Im with Debbe...you will be treated better in that area. Take advantage! Take care...stay strong & share any info you can when you are up to it.

Best of luck...

Lynn
                  Lynn -30.... something
                  DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
                  At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
                  At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
                  Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
                  UW Madison, WI Hospital
                  **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                    The claim out there is that if you are less than 50* at that point, you will not progress to surgery territory in your lifetime.

But yours is not the first testimonial I've read where folks were clearly sub-surgical presumably at maturity but still needed surgery by their 30's or 40's.
                    One thing I'd like to point out is the difference in what I've always heard about the magical 50° point:

Instead of "curves < 50° won't progress to surgery", what I've always been told is "it's likely that curves ±50° will progress at ±1-2° per year", with the inference they will continue to progress until surgery is required.

I would think that both slants on progression would go low enough to include 45° curves due to the margin of error.

We've both seen where neither statement is always, or maybe even *often*, valid. I don't know how much of an anomaly my curve was to remain stable at ±53° since late adolescence/early adulthood (those are the only x-rays I have for comparison). Everything I've read and been told says it was a HUGE oddity, but then again, how many people came out of braces right on the line, and just never had their curve measured again because it didn't hurt?

Perhaps they remained stable?

So many of us were told when we stopped growing, we'd stop curving - so I have to wonder, how many of us DID remain stable minus the pain issues I had? I'll probably never have an answer to that.

And, yes ... this forum is full of 30-40° at end of bracing adults with curves that started moving in adulthood for one reason or another. For quite a few, the progesterone/pregnancy seems quite probable. Obviously, as in my case, my curve did NOT move during 2 pregnancies. I haven't really looked, but I'd be interested to see if anyone has done an "age at pregnancy" study on scoliotic women and what happened to their curves (although the problem will be finding a solid group of JIS/AIS patients who watched theirs in adulthood). Also I'd like to see how curve movement in adulthood compares between women who have given birth, and those who haven't.

Originally posted by Pooka1 View Post
                    I think there are some cases where brace wear can be shown to only delay surgery rather than avoid it ...
                    I don't doubt that, but how can it really be determined?

There's definitely a case to be made for brace wear in younger kids/young adolescents, if it's holding or even slowing progression, to allow for as much growth as possible. I'm absolutely certain that was one of the reasons I was braced at 10, although even when I was compliant (maybe the first year ... tops), my out of brace Cobb kept creeping up. There's no way to get my orthopedic x-rays, but I may be able to secure the A/P x-rays after my VP shunt placement at age 11: I'd love to see if Hanson could determine my Cobb during that timeframe.

Sarah, I think being on the pedi ward sounds like an excellent idea ;-). I bet the nurses are more friendly, anyway - LOL!

Good luck tomorrow ... I'm sure everything will be fine. Looking forward to hearing a good report!

Regards,
                    Pam
                    Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                    AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                    Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                    Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                    EMAIL ME

Comment

Originally posted by txmarinemom View Post
                      One thing I'd like to point out is the difference in what I've always heard about the magical 50° point:

Instead of "curves < 50° won't progress to surgery", what I've always been told is "it's likely that curves ±50° will progress at ±1-2° per year", with the inference they will continue to progress until surgery is required.
                      That statement concerned curves >50*.

The context of my question to the surgeon was in re curves <50* and my concern that she might be sub-surgical at maturity but still need surgery as an adult. So his answer was that curves below 50* are not likely to progress to surgery in one's lifetime. We didn't discuss what curves >50* do because we weren't dealing with that.

We've both seen where neither statement is always, or maybe even *often*, valid. I don't know how much of an anomaly my curve was to remain stable at ±53° since late adolescence/early adulthood (those are the only x-rays I have for comparison). Everything I've read and been told says it was a HUGE oddity, but then again, how many people came out of braces right on the line, and just never had their curve measured again because it didn't hurt?
                      Well I think there might be enough data in hand to suggest it is very unusual but I don't know that.

Perhaps they remained stable?
                      I wish I knew how they know what they know. That would clear these things up perhaps.

So many of us were told when we stopped growing, we'd stop curving - so I have to wonder, how many of us DID remain stable minus the pain issues I had? I'll probably never have an answer to that.
                      As I read the testimonials, I think most are due to progression and pain, no?

And, yes ... this forum is full of 30-40° at end of bracing adults with curves that started moving in adulthood for one reason or another. For quite a few, the progesterone/pregnancy seems quite probable. Obviously, as in my case, my curve did NOT move during 2 pregnancies. I haven't really looked, but I'd be interested to see if anyone has done an "age at pregnancy" study on scoliotic women and what happened to their curves (although the problem will be finding a solid group of JIS/AIS patients who watched theirs in adulthood). Also I'd like to see how curve movement in adulthood compares between women who have given birth, and those who haven't.
                      I specifically mentioned the pregnancy issue and I believe he dismissed that but I'm not 100% sure. I'll ask again. I came away with the clear impression that he feels most folks who are less than 50* at skeletal maturity are out of the woods on progression requiring surgery. We did not discuss pain and the likelihood of having surgery due to subsequent damage and pain. I will have to ask that question specifically as my original question concerned progression only. But if many people with a <50* curve at maturity end up with surgery due to pain or to correct ancillary conditions absent progression then it is practically irrelevant to ask how many have surgery due to progression.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

I was told that I was done growing when I started weaning off of the brace. I was almost 14 at the time. I have no idea how helpful the brace was for me. My curves progressed while I was in the brace but maybe it would have been worse if I wasn't wearing it. We were told all along that the brace wasn't holding my upper curve because it was too high in my back but they hoped that by holding the lower curve straighter, the upper curve might not progress either. My pediatric surgeons had told me that once my curve reached 45* it was statistically likely to progress 1-2* a year while my newer doctor uses 50* instead. Now that I have passed both those numbers and have started having back pain I decided that now was the right time for me to have surgery. It is also the last time that I will have a summer break and I am still under my parents insurance so it is easiest to get it out of the way now.

I will definitely take a photo of my back tonight. I think it will be really interesting to compare later. Thanks!
                        Sarah
                        22 year old grad student
                        Boston brace from 12-14
                        Thoracic curve 47*
                        Thoracolumbar curve 54*

Surgery Photos

Comment

Sarah good luck with your surgery i hope all goes wella dn you have a safe and healthy recovery!
                          Yeah usually people stay in the pediatrics until they are 21.
                          20 is just 1 year out of your teens so your closer to the pediatric side than the adult side.
                          Having your parents there or even really close friends and extended family will probably make it a lot nicer and more comfortable. If you are allowed like a warm comfortable blanket would probably be nice too. Everytime I got to the hospital it is freezing! The nurses are like "I'll get you another blanket" and they come out with like a thin falling apart thing that is so scratchy. Basically any comfort things or anything that will make your stay nicer will probably be nice.
                          Good Luck
                          - Another Sarah

Comment

Chest tightness and shortness of breath

Hello all,
                            I was wondering has anyone been experiencing shortness
                            of breath and chest tightening. Is this somewhat normal for 3
                            weeks post op? Also I have been having difficulty sleeping can anyone
                            recommend any sleeping positions pre op I was a stomach sleeper.
                            Thanks so much!
                            Simone

Comment

Originally posted by swilson View Post
                              Hello all,
                              I was wondering has anyone been experiencing shortness
                              of breath and chest tightening. Is this somewhat normal for 3
                              weeks post op? Also I have been having difficulty sleeping can anyone
                              recommend any sleeping positions pre op I was a stomach sleeper.
                              Thanks so much!
                              Simone
                              Yes! Someone here recently wrote about symptoms like that. I'll find the thread but it had the words, "unusual symptoms" or something like that. You should consider getting checked out very soon.

Good luck.

No island of sanity.

"We are all African."

Comment

Working...
                              X