Post op update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post op update

My son had his fusion May 20th -everything went really well. He was discharged 5 days later and is doing great at home. He walks up our stairs very well ( with close supervision, of course) He has minor pain and is relieved with pain meds. He is doing much better than I could have imagined before the surgery. He and I are pleased with the results and he is now about 2 inches taller than before the surgery. ( His curve was 55 degree thoracic) We have a long way to go yet, but are very optomistic. If anyone is as nervous as I was before the surgery, please be encouraged by this thread.

glad to hear things went well. It's such a relief to have it done and get back on track. As I'm sure many others on here agree that the anxiety and anticipation before the surgery is the worst!
    Be well,
    Bethany

Comment

Congratulations on what sounds like a very successful surgery. I hope your son continues to have a great recovery and that your "regular" life gets back on track quickly.

I know what a relief it is to have the surgery be over with finally.
      Laurie

Mother of Alexander & Zachary:
      Alex is 16 years old and in the 11th grade. He has congenital scoliosis due to a hemivertebrae at T10. Wore a TLSO brace for 3 1/2 years. Pre-op curves were T45 & L65; curves post-op are approx. T31 & L34. Had a posterior spinal fusion from T8 to L3 on 7/12/07 at age 12. Doing great now in so many ways, but still working on improving posture.
      Zach is 13 years old and very energetic.

Comment

Great to hear your son is doing well. Onward and upward!
        Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
        Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Great to hear! I know I was as nervous as you were before surgery!

It definitely is nice to be on the other side of it. Things will continue to improve. You will be amazed how quickly it gets to the point that you wouldn't even know they had major surgery.
          Becky
          Mom to DD (15) with S 48*+ curve
          Had her surgery March 9, 2009

Comment

Sounds like he's making a textbook recovery. Congratulations! I think you'll be amazed at how quickly he recovers. And thanks for posting. It always helps those who are waiting to hear good news about someone else who's been through it.

Mary Ellen

Comment

I am glad to hear that your son is doing so well. I am sick with worry over my daughter's surgery coming up in a little over a month. Wow, 2 inches taller! My DD is 5' 8" already so I think she may be hoping she doesn't get too much taller I hope he continues to recover quickly

Comment

My experience was very similar with my son. He gained 1 1/2 inches immediately after surgery and in the 8 months since he has gotten taller, and straighter. His recovery was amazing - he was out of hospital in a week, went bushwalking with one of his friends after 2 weeks and was off all pain meds within 3 weeks. Aside from the first few days in hospital he has had a dream run. Anyone who is reading this pre-op, you are in the toughest phase right now. As soon as the operation is over you are moving forward and before you know it, it's a distant memory and you can get on with your life without spending half of it staring at your child's back.

Comment

congrats and hope your son has a speedy recovery.

27 year old female
                  Upper Curve 110 degrees
                  Lower Curve 90 degrees
                  Surgery with Dr. Wood at MGH 1/11/10 && 1/14/10
                  Fused T2-Pelvis
                  Back looks amazing and no more Hump! ^_^

Comment

Working...
                  X