Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a few brace questions

Hello everybody!
    I just have some questions about my new brace.
    Does anybody know why I'm supposed to rub alchohal on the spots where my brace rubs me? I can't figure out why I have to do that. Does anybody have suggestions about how to toughen up the skin? What do ya'll wear under your brace? The days when my brace really bugs me are long days, does any one know how to make it not as annoying?
    Also, i'll take any suggestions you have about a brace.
    Thanks, and God bless,
    Rebecca
    ~~Rebecca, 15 years old, 10th grade~~
    I was braced for 2 years and 4 months
    I went through 3 Boston Braces
    Original curve~34*
    Curve in 1st Brace~9*
    Curve in 2nd Brace~14*
    Curve in 3rd Brace~27*
    Curve after bracing~34*

Hey!

You are supposed to rub alcohol on ur brace to clean it out. If u don't it will make yucky smelly spots. Also what i wear under my brace is sort of like the sock like thing they gave to me to put on when i got molded for my brace. And also to help u from making holes in ur shirt(u will notice little holes in ur shirts where the screws are) put band aids over the screws, it really helps! And when shopping for shirts get one the maybe covers half of ur bottom. I am sure other people with braces know what i mean. The brace goes less than half way down ur behind so the shirt will just cover that up a little. And don't think u have to wear baggy clothes either! just wear shirts that look and feel ok to u. And i wear tight shirts and jeans too! Don't feel like u are limited! If u need anything else u can e-mail me at cheerbootyshaker@yahoo.com or my aol instant messenger name is OoObarbiegrl3722 Good luck with ur new brace! I hope for the best for u!! God Bless,

--Hannah 13 Indiana

Comment

Hey I always wore tank tops under my brace. I also put powder on before I put the tank top on.. it helps with the sweat in the summer. You will eventualy get used to the annoying rubbing and what not of your brace. If it gets too bad you may need to ask your doctor about it. Maybe its not fitting right. If you have anything else you want to talk about e-mail me! beaner0629@aol.com

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I have found that you can get sort of tight under-shirts at wall*mart. I am wearing them. Does the powder really work?!! I hope so because, i can imagine how gross it feels. Like one time, at my youth group at church, during a game my team wrapped me in plastic wrap, and when i finnaly got out my arms were soked with sweat, and underneath my brace was sweating too.
        Thanx againe,
        [REBECCA
        Original curve~34*
        Curve in 1st Brace~9*
        Curve in 2nd Brace~14*
        Curve in 3rd Brace~27*
        Curve after bracing~34*

Comment

Sugary

i was just wondering. If my scolioses got really bad and i had to get surgary, after the surgary would I have to lay on my stomach for a long time so that I wouldn't hurt my back any more?
          Rebecca
          PS. as of now, i'm probably not going to have surgary!!
          Original curve~34*
          Curve in 1st Brace~9*
          Curve in 2nd Brace~14*
          Curve in 3rd Brace~27*
          Curve after bracing~34*

Comment

Hi Rebecca,

If you have surgery, you won't have to lay on your stomach for days on end. In fact, you probably won't lay on your stomach at all (unless you are a tummy sleeper to begin with). The incisional pain would be the most uncomfortable part of laying on your back, but usually they have so much padding and gauze and tape that the incisions are very well protected. Braydon has rod expansion surgery every 6 months and doesn't lay on his tummy at all. He prefers to lay in a reclined position.

The worst part for him is the muscle spasms from the surgeons cutting through the muscle and soft tissue to get to the rods. Now that we know that's what was causing his discomfort, they give him meds to control the spasms. He recovers very quickly now. I'm very happy about that.

Keep up the good work with your brace. I'll send NO SURGERY cyber vibes your way!
            Carmell
            mom to Kara, idiopathic scoliosis, Blake 19, GERD and Braydon 14, VACTERL, GERD, DGE, VEPTR #137, thoracic insufficiency, rib anomalies, congenital scoliosis, missing coccyx, fatty filum/TC, anal stenosis, horseshoe kidney, dbl ureter in left kidney, ureterocele, kidney reflux, neurogenic bladder, bilateral hip dysplasia, right leg/foot dyplasia, tibial torsion, clubfoot with 8 toes, pes cavus, single umblilical artery, etc. http://carmellb-ivil.tripod.com/myfamily/

Comment

Working...
            X