2 little things

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 little things

Compared to many problems this is small. At about 2 weeks out the incision was just a narrow pink line. Now it's about a half an inch wide and bright purple the last month or so. I'm assuming this must be normal. I have been able to start using some vitamin E on it so hopefully this helps.
    Also I think it might have been Linda R. who had the suggestion somewhere on here to attach your razor to a wooden spoon with duct tape. Hey, it works! I shaved my lower legs today; my husband will be so happy he has one less job. Janet
    Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
    Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
    Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
    Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
    T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

My scar has gone from pink to purple, but hasn't widened. I'm interested if others have noticed the same thing and how long does it take for the colour to lighten.

Jen
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

My posterior scar is also purplish and very pronounced. Interestingly, my anterior incision, which was stapled, is just a thin white line that you can hardly see.
      Chris
      A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
      Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
      Post-op curve: 12 degrees
      Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

My scars are just the opposite. My posterior scar is pale and thin and flat. My anterior scar is pale now but is still hard and lumpy, wide is spots and very ugly. No more bikinis for me. Like I ever wore a bikini anyway.
        Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
        Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
        Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
        Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
        New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
        Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Hello Doodles,
          You are the bright spot in my day today - mostly because you are one person I have found that has more degrees in your curve before your surgery than me. Isn't that awful? I am so worried - I am at 80 deg+ and awaiting call back from my dr calling the back surgeon. Haven't a lot of pain and lots of trouble breathing. What in the world will they do?! But, this pain cannot continue - it makes me very irritable and I can't stand or walk for more than 10 minutes at a time. I'm 44 years old and feel like I'm 90! at least, so far, I sleep pretty good at night, but I think it's mostly exhaustion from hving dealt with all this pain all day long! Sorry, I'm venting here.... Who did your surgery? I'm awaiting call back from Dr. Lenke in St. Louis - my dr's been trying for a week to get ahold of them now.... no luck yet.
          Rita Thompson
          Age 46
          Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
          Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
          Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
          Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

I haven't had the surgery yet, but just last week I had a visit with my surgeon who said that years ago, when they used to put people in a cast following surgery, they would take the cast off and the scars were just tiny lines. It's because the cast kept the person from moving.

He said that it is movement that causes scars to widen. He told us that after surgery to remind him and he will give us a supply of tape (I think he is talking about steri-strips) to put across the line to help it stay as small as possible.

Sheri
            At age 56 my curves measured: 48/60/30 with lots of rotation and getting worse
            Posterior fusion T5-L4 June 30, 2009
            Excellent correction

Comment

I have two new surgical scars that's in the healing process (not scoli) the one on my scalp is nearly invisible, while the one on my stomach went from thin pink line to slightly raised, wider and bumpy.

I have a feeling the bumpiness has to do with my body's seeming inability to absorb/dissolve the vicryl sub-cutaneous sutures that were put in since I pulled out a couple.

I was told to use mederma as soon as the scar healed... doing it, don't know if it'll help. I'm guessing no matter what I do, the scar on the stomach will be more noticeable than the scalp one purely due to all the movement causing tension around the scar. IIRC, the full tension strength in a incision scar doesn't return for almost a year so that may account for widened scarring.
              30 something y.o.

2003 - T45, L???
              2005 - T50, L31
              bunch of measurements between...

2011 - T60, L32
              2013 - T68, L?

Posterior Fusion Sept 2014 -- T3 - L3
              Post - op curve ~35

Comment

Rita--Oh, I feel for you with that curve. Surprisingly, my breathing was OK which is crazy considering the degree of the top curve. At the rate it was going that might have changed.

My doctor is Dr. Lenke. I was very pleased with everything initially. I'm worried about the tilt that has become quite noticeable in the last few weeks. My pt doesn't think that will improve so I'm just about sick about that. He also gave me a lift to try which doesn't change the tilt. I e-mailed the nurse and she said he will just evaluate it on June 24th when I go for my appt. and that I might need a lift! I was hoping there was something else I could do. You may have read on here I believe it is due to my hips not being even. Good luck to you. Janet
                Janet

Comment

Rita--Just read on one of these that Dr. Lenke is on vacation this week I believe. Which explains why you can't get him. Janet
                  Janet

Comment

Thanks Janet.
                    Rita Thompson
                    Age 46
                    Milwaukee Brace wearer for 3 years in childhood
                    Surgery Mar 1st - 95 degree thoracic curve
                    Surgery by Dr. Lenke, St. Louis, MO
                    Post-surgery curve 25-30 degree

Comment

Working...
                    X