Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 week post op

Hello all,

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back on here to give an update...I have been in quite a bit of pain. I was in the hospital for 8 days and had some problems with my GI tract so they had to put a rectal catheter in (not comfortable, believe me). So far my pain has been pretty intense and not at all what I expected. Everyday seems to get a little better but at night is the worst. I try to walk and do what i can to stay loose but at night my muscles seem to tighten up. I am taking vicodin, percocet and flexeril for pain. I have not had a bowel movement for 10 days and that was a big concern for the doctors but they said it will come if I just keep taking stool softeners and milk of mag. My correction went great! Everything looks good and the only thing i have to do now is wait for all the swelling and bloating to go down. Has anyone had any issues with hypersensitive skin surrounding the wound and on the butt/hips area? My skin feels like it is badly sunburned and it stings when i pull my pants over my hips. If so, what did you do for it? I think this is all I can type now. As we speak, my drugs are kicking in and I am getting verryyy sleepy.

Allison
    ~Allison~

23 y/o

49* Thoracic
    56* Lumbar

Posterior Spinal Fusion T4 to L4
    Surgery scheduled for May 18, 2009

Dr. Matthew Geck
    Austin, TX

Hi Allison,
    I am two weeks post-op and I seem to have some
    very similar issues as you. I too have hypersentivity
    all over my back it seems that clothes even
    hurt to put on. Just like you described it feels like a bad
    sunburn. For relief my doctors suggested alternating
    btwn ice packs or heating pads which ever works I use ice
    packs faithfully. My doc described the sensation as completely
    normal because the nerves are awakening back up. I would still consult
    with your doctor though. As for constipation I am still working
    through that issue I tried everything that u described but after 12 days of
    nothing my doc suggested an enema which did the trick. The pain meds have
    so many side effects including the constipation which I had no idea and yes the medicine makes me extremely tried as well. Hope this is helpful and wishing u a speedy recovery:-)
    Simone

Comment

Hi Alison and Simone,

Both your symptoms sound completely normal to me! After the waterproof tape was pulled off my back, it was truly just like sunburn. That was about day 4, I think. The constipation again, completely normal, for me it was 9 days and I'd been eating from day 2. Ugh!

The drugs do make you very sleepy and fuzzy-brained.

But the good news is, it all gradually comes right! All the very best to you both for a smooth and comfortable recovery.
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Yes yes yes! The area from my lower back, throughout my whole butt, and down both thighs was numb AND had pins and needles and ached horribly. That feelling slowly went away to where the numbness is now only in my lower back. Slowly as I recovered, the line on my thighs went higher and higher until the feeling disappeared.

I think 1 week post op is just about the worst. YOu will probably feel definite improvements in a week or two. Especially after you have a BM! Good luck.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Allison--
          I can't believe you can even be on here after 1 week. That's great. All of your ailments sound very familiar. At 2 months almost my entire spine is still totally numb and into top of hips and buttocks. I do notice new parts opening up little by little however. The constipation was a problem in the hospital and then at home about 4 weeks out a really huge horrible problem. I finally got Miralax and that was very helpful. Hope you and Simone continue to heal and progress well. Janet
          Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
          Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
          Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
          Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
          T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Its normal...I had the hypersensitivy as well...still do, 4 months post op. My butt is getting better....and parts of my back (patches/small areas) are normal, but 95% of it still is numb and itchy & overly sensitive. My doc told me that it takes a nerve about a month to regenerate about an inch. I found that very interesting!
            Lynn -30.... something
            DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
            At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
            At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
            Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
            UW Madison, WI Hospital
            **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

constipation.......

Ladies,

As far as the constipation....lots of fruits, fig nuton cokkies, high fiber cereals and brocolli worked well for me. That is when I could eat! for me that has been one of the biggest problems. Not eating enough and getting sick from the pain meds. I also take the stool softner and milk of mag. I really thought I would have a huge problem in this department because I have ALWAYS had trouble with constipation. Maybe for me having things straightened out has taken care of the problem!

I am 4 weeks postop and as far as the sensitivity with the skin on your butt, that was/is a big one! In the beginning when my husband had to help me with the bathroom and pulling up my underwear he would get to a certain point and I would have to take over. I thought for me it was due to wearing the brace that I absolutely hate and can't wait for the day I can put it in the drive way and run it over with my husbands truck! I swear somedays it has caused most of my pain!

Good luck in with the fiber, try to get it from any place you can! Take care
              Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
              50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
              Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
              X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
              Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
              Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
              Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by asccbodypro View Post
                Ladies,

As far as the constipation....lots of fruits, fig nuton cokkies, high fiber cereals and brocolli worked well for me. That is when I could eat! for me that has been one of the biggest problems. Not eating enough and getting sick from the pain meds. I also take the stool softner and milk of mag. I really thought I would have a huge problem in this department because I have ALWAYS had trouble with constipation. Maybe for me having things straightened out has taken care of the problem!

I am 4 weeks postop and as far as the sensitivity with the skin on your butt, that was/is a big one! In the beginning when my husband had to help me with the bathroom and pulling up my underwear he would get to a certain point and I would have to take over. I thought for me it was due to wearing the brace that I absolutely hate and can't wait for the day I can put it in the drive way and run it over with my husbands truck! I swear somedays it has caused most of my pain!

Good luck in with the fiber, try to get it from any place you can! Take care
                You ladies might laugh, but my mother served me PRUNE JUICE and STEWED PRUNES every morning. At the time I actually ate the stewed prunes with plain yogurt. ACK the thought of it now makes me gag, but I liked it ate the time. I also ate high fiber cereal every day, plus my mom made a 5 bean salad that I ate at least a half cup of per day. I loved that stuff. When I first came home I was on the stool softener, but quickly stopped taking it because all of the other foods I was eating took care of me just fine.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Thanks so much for the recommendations. I am definitely trying a high fiber diet as well as the prune juice and stewed prunes which my mom makes which taste awful. I have not had much of an appetite because of the pain meds and did not even eat much in the hospital. I have since lost 17lbs which is not very good for me but the medications has terrible side affects. I am just taking it day by day and hoping that my appetite will return to normal. Thanks for everyone's support!

Simone

Comment

More questions post op

Did anyone else on here look like they were 4 months pregnant with all of the bloating from not having a BM? I feel like I look pregnant and that my butt looks flat now in comparison. Will this go away? Will I get my flat tummy back? Also, is it normal to have swelling around the incision? The wound looks kind of puffy like it sticks out from my back. To be honest it kind of grosses me out.

I tried suppositories, milk of mag, magnesium citrate, enemas, stool softeners and MiraLax. Nothing has worked...I am getting very frustrated. I drink about 80 oz of water per day and try to eat healthy but it can be difficult when you cant move around too easily to make food. I have gone 12 days now without a BM but have successfully passed gas. Sad I know. I never thought I would be so excited to fart! My mom got a kick out of that one!

Please let me know if you have shared any of my experiences

Cheers!
                    ~Allison~

23 y/o

49* Thoracic
                    56* Lumbar

Posterior Spinal Fusion T4 to L4
                    Surgery scheduled for May 18, 2009

Dr. Matthew Geck
                    Austin, TX

Comment

They had to resort to giving me a suppository in rehab after my surgery (at about 10 or 11 days post-op). Once home, I survived on daily Miralax cocktails.
                      Chris
                      A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                      Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                      Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                      Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Working...
                      X