Strange hip pain at 18 months

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strange hip pain at 18 months

Haven't written in a while because have been doing great. Just a few days ago I started with strange pain in left hip. It is really bad when I am trying to get out of bed. It gets better as I walk a bit and sitting is fine. But I wonder what it could be. Could I have pulled a muscle in my left butt without even realizing it? Or is my hip screw loose or broken? I'm hoping for the pulled muscle. If it doesn't get better in a couple of days, I'll get an xray locally.
    Jan Lotherington,
    56* thoracic curve, 50* lumbar curve
    A/P fusion T3-Sacrum, Dec 11&13 2007
    at age 55
    Dr Bridwell

Hi...

Does it hurt in the hip joint or in the upper buttock?

--Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

It is really the upper buttock. Any insight?
      Jan Lotherington,
      at age 55
      Dr Bridwell

Comment

Hi Jan...

If it's upper buttock pain, it sounds like the problem is in your spine and not in your hip.

I've had upper buttock pain on and off for many years. I had it before my surgery, and it came back at some point in my recovery. I've discovered that I can often keep the problem at bay by watching my sleep position. My preferred position is laying on my left side with my right leg on the bed in front of me. If I'm able to avoid that position, I have very little pain.

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

For Linda Racine

I have gotten more relaxed about my sleeping positions lately. maybe that's it.
          Also wanted to mention that for some time I have felt like a have a slight leg length discrepency. I mentioned it to Dr Bridwell at my 1 yr check up, he said my hips look fairly even on xray, I might want to try a shoe lift, but over all did not seem very concerned. I work in a hospital and a couple of nurses and PTs often ask how my back is because they say I walk like it bothers me. Up until this current problem, I would tell them there was no pain, I just felt one leg was a little shorter than the other. Do you think this leg length discrepency has finally caught up with me and is causing the pain?
          Jan Lotherington,
          at age 55
          Dr Bridwell

Comment

Originally posted by JanL View Post
            I have gotten more relaxed about my sleeping positions lately. maybe that's it.
            Also wanted to mention that for some time I have felt like a have a slight leg length discrepency. I mentioned it to Dr Bridwell at my 1 yr check up, he said my hips look fairly even on xray, I might want to try a shoe lift, but over all did not seem very concerned. I work in a hospital and a couple of nurses and PTs often ask how my back is because they say I walk like it bothers me. Up until this current problem, I would tell them there was no pain, I just felt one leg was a little shorter than the other. Do you think this leg length discrepency has finally caught up with me and is causing the pain?
            Sorry, but I'm pretty clueless about that. A LLD won't cause pain on it's own.

Regards,
            Linda

Comment

Originally posted by JanL View Post
              Haven't written in a while because have been doing great. Just a few days ago I started with strange pain in left hip. It is really bad when I am trying to get out of bed. It gets better as I walk a bit and sitting is fine. But I wonder what it could be. Could I have pulled a muscle in my left butt without even realizing it? Or is my hip screw loose or broken? I'm hoping for the pulled muscle. If it doesn't get better in a couple of days, I'll get an xray locally.
              I have had the same issue off and on since surgery (it's never debilitating, just annoying), and mines usually related to the piriformis muscle. You can have a massage therapist try to address it, or look up any number of self myofascial release approaches to it. Worth a shot!

Pam
              Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
              AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
              Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
              Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
              EMAIL ME

Comment

Working...
              X