Uneven hips after surgery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uneven hips after surgery?

Has anyone else had this problem? Even hips was the one thing I really wanted to achieve after surgery but it doesn't seem to have been the case. It's making me feel quite upset lately as I had really psyched myself up about the improvements I'd get prior to surgery. My doctor also said that he thought they would get pretty even and that you'd only be able to notice a slight uneveness if looking closely. Well that doesn't seem to be the case now. My left hip is still more prominent than my right and I can tell this quite simply with a quick look. I still have very little in terms of a hip on my right side. I don't know what to do or think, I just feel really overwhelmed. I had a big fear of regretting the surgery once I had it done and I really hope I don't. I just want normal, even hips.

The post-op x-ray looked almost straight so I don't know why this is the case. I assumed if my spine was straight, my hips would be too. Even my doctor commented that he thought I got a really good result. I feel quite lost
    Diagnosed at the age of 18 (2004)
    46° curve
    Surgery scheduled for April 27, 2009 - Anterior fusion from T12 - L3

Cimbon--
    I woke up real early this morning due to worry over my hips. Yesterday I posted the thread on "torso shift" a few down from here. Later in the day I sat on a hard bench for a moment (I'm usually on pillows, etc.) and realized if I sat evenly on my hip (sit) bones I totally leaned left--which would explain this torso shift that I talk about in the other thread.
    I'm not sure if we are discussing the same type of hip problem--since you mention the protrusion, but for years my "alternative" methods chiro, rolfing, etc. always worked on getting my hips even. On an X-ray you could draw a line straight across the tops of hips and it was level if I had been under care. When it got off I would need some manipulation.
    When the hips aren't even across, it makes one leg seem shorter. I now sit with knees bent and my right knee extends about an inch farther out than the other.
    I was so worried about this and having to have a lift to correct being off balance that I asked about it at both of my appts. My worry was if the hips aren't square and I'm fused into pelvis--well, nothing could correct it. They didn't seem to see a problem. Then I've looked on here and searched "shoe lifts" and got 15 pages. I know some are for other reasons, I'm sure.
    This leaning to the left came on so fast and then making my hip discovery last night has me about sick. Despite my extensive surgery, things seemed to be going well and all medical people, pt's etc. were amazed at my progress. So this is very disheartening. I have e-mailed Dr. Lenke's nurse for some direction but sure I can't get anyone until tomorrow.
    Not sure if we are even on the same sort of problems, but thought I'd vent for a while this morning. So sorry you are having problems. This just is never easy is it? Janet
    Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
    Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
    Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
    Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
    T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

I can only speak for myself, but in my case, it took about 6 months for my body to settle into its new shape due to residual swelling, numbness, and stiff muscles. I hope that's the case for both of you.
      Chris
      A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
      Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
      Post-op curve: 12 degrees
      Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

This may not be the case with either of you, but sometimes it takes awhile for things to settle down after this surgery... especially with your muscles needing to relearn what/where/how they should be their business. I remember at 6 months post-op working with my PT to develop a "sense of straight" by looking in the mirror and adjusting the position my shoulders and hips were in.

I also remember noticing, when lying on my back on the PT table, with my knees bent and feet aligned, that my right knee jutted out longer than my left. There was/is a slight discrepancy in leg length, but not enough to warrant doing anything. I REALLY don't think I look off anymore. Hopefully your bodies are just still getting used to the major shifting they've just been through. Best wishes as you both adjust to the new yous!
        71 and plugging along... but having some problems
        2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
        5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
        Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
        CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
        10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

It seems as tho alot of us have similar problems in this area...a few weeks out of surgery I was limping...one leg was shorter than the other...ekk! I was freaked out...it just kinda went away on its own...no explanations. I still have a more prominent waist line on my left side -vs- the right....but its not nearly as noticable than what it was before surgery. And my most recent issue now.....is my right shoulder blade is noticably sticking out more than the left, when after surgery, they were pretty much even. Im actually going in for Xrays on Thursday to rule out anything "bad". We are hoping it will end up being something w/the muscles or possibly nerves. My right side has been then bad side right out of surgery...looks like this will just have to be something I need to just deal with. We all knew going in, that the surgery may not completely correct our "deformed" bodies.....but Im certain we all beleived it would..myself included. I am just as disappointed.....all I wanted since I can remember, was a nice, straight & even body. Its MUCH better...like I said....and this is the best that it gets, I guess,other than more surgeries.....no thanks....I will just have to accept me for me.

Happy Memorial Day every.....enjoy the day!
          Lynn -30.... something
          DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
          At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
          At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
          Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
          UW Madison, WI Hospital
          **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

For six months post-op I was concerned my 13-yo son's hips weren't going to straighten (he's fused T2 to L4), but at his 6-month follow-up, x-rays showed they had leveled considerably. So I had to concede things were improving! Things take time--I've had to learn and learn that.

Mary ellen

Comment

Thanks all of you! I hope you are all right and this just takes some time. Susie Bee,I know you often preach patience, and I know you are probably right! Janet
              Janet

Comment

Thanks for all your replies. It seems to me when lying in bed that the hip bones themselves are straight but my hips are not even sort of like this (but less extreme now) /_|

I'll call my surgeon either today or tomorrow and ask about it. I hope I'm one of the lucky ones and it'll continue to improve.
                Diagnosed at the age of 18 (2004)
                46° curve
                Surgery scheduled for April 27, 2009 - Anterior fusion from T12 - L3

Comment

My hips didn't look uneven after surgery, but I did have problems with my left hip where it felt like the ball just didn't fit properly into the socket. It was the wierdest thing. If I moved the leg past a certain point I had a very uncomfortable and painful feeling. I knew it had to have something to do with the surgery because I never had that problem before.

The physical therapist assured me that it would get better with lots of stretching and thankfully it did. It's pretty much back to normal now 7.5 months later. I think it probably had the most dramatic change at about 6 months.

Good luck,

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                  Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                  Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                  Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                  Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

My hips are killing me right now - I don't know why - so it helped to read some of these postings...I didn't think I'd have hip trouble - but I can hardly stand the pain which is why I rarely get to check this site out...too much pain when in one position for too long!

Always Smilin'
                    Colleen

1982 fused T2-L1
                    pre op 45 - post op 33 (left thoracic)
                    pre op 53 - post op 18 (right thoracic)

recheck 2006
                    right thoracic 57
                    lower lumbar 34

surgical revision April 28,2009
                    revision T3-L1; new fusion L1-L4
                    unsure of degrees at this point

Comment

Originally posted by always smilin' View Post
                      My hips are killing me right now - I don't know why - so it helped to read some of these postings...I didn't think I'd have hip trouble - but I can hardly stand the pain which is why I rarely get to check this site out...too much pain when in one position for too long!
                      It really shocked me to have hip problems and then shoulder problems after the surgery when I never had any before. Actually that's not true--years ago off and on I'd have problems with my RIGHT hip, which looking back I know was related to my spine. But after the surgery it was my LEFT hip giving me trouble! I just hope that I can resolve my shoulder problem as easily with PT as I did for my hip.

My PT has to always remind me that moving the spine around affects the WHOLE body not just the back.

Comment

Is your shoulder problem showing any signs of improvement Debbe?

Next Tuesday I am three months post op. Dr. told me I would feel like I've been hit by a bus for three months, so I'm expecting some improvement soon. I have actually felt like I was hit by a Hyundai Excel (small car) but still, a bit of improvement would be nice.

So far I have had no nerve pain, no muscle spasms (I am touching wood here) and no pain for nearly 2 months. Just the eternal dizziness, which is slowly easing. And today I had a blood test for my Graves Disease (hyperactive thyroid) which has been in remission. All the symptoms are back. Seems there's always something.
                        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
                          Is your shoulder problem showing any signs of improvement Debbe?

Next Tuesday I am three months post op. Dr. told me I would feel like I've been hit by a bus for three months, so I'm expecting some improvement soon. I have actually felt like I was hit by a Hyundai Excel (small car) but still, a bit of improvement would be nice.

So far I have had no nerve pain, no muscle spasms (I am touching wood here) and no pain for nearly 2 months. Just the eternal dizziness, which is slowly easing. And today I had a blood test for my Graves Disease (hyperactive thyroid) which has been in remission. All the symptoms are back. Seems there's always something.
                          Hi Jen,

Since I started my exercise class the shoulder is a lot better, but it's still not what it should be. My PT wanted me to start yesterday but I couldn't since it was my first day at a new job. Maybe I can start next week.

I'm up now in the middle of the night because of muscle spasms, but won't take a muscle relaxer since I have to drive in the morning. Maybe I'll get into the hot tub. It won't be the first time I've done so in the middle of the night.

Let me know what happens with your tests. ((Hugs))

Comment

Let me know what happens with your tests.

I will Debbe. Probably Friday or Monday.

I feel for you up in the middle of the night with the muscle spasms and unable to take a relaxant. What about a half tablet? How's the new job going?... I know it's only early stages. Are you working full time?

I hope you are sleeping like a log now.
                            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Debbie--I agree with Jennifer about the shoulder and not being able to take a muscle relaxer. I'm so fortunate I retired; I can't even imagine going back to work after this!
                              Jennifer--I can't believe your dizziness is back full force;the little bit I had was so annoying. I hope this gets resolved and your tests come back OK.
                              My own little setback this week had to do with meds. I was able to go from oxycontin and percocet to vicodin a couple weeks ago without difficulty. Then they said the vicodin 750 I was taking needed to be scaled back. I tried with 3 fewer tablets than the 12 per day for 2 days. Day 3, yesterday, was payback. Not good. I got my own GP to agree to another refill so I'm OK. I'm not even quite 2 months so I don't know what the giant rush was. I don't get why pain can't be alleviated for a longer time while we are healing! Janet
                              Janet

Comment

Working...
                              X