Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My surgery blog

Hello All,
    I have blogged my recent surgery experience in case anyone is interested or might be helpful to those with impending surgeries.

Thanks,
    Simone

http://simonewsalandy.blogspot.com/

Thats really cool!

I had to laugh at your expression in the hallway picture, it seemed to me like you really did not want to be walking, nor having your picture taken. I think we've all had that expression in the hospital.

Keep up the good work and keep posting!

Brad
    Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
    Still have 57 degree curve
    2 Harrington rods
    Luque method used
    Dr David Bradford
    Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
    Preop xray (with brace on)
    Postop xray

Comment

Congrats on the 90% correction! Thanks for sharing your blog, it brought it all back! What a beautiful family you all are. Hope things are going smoothly for you now, Simone.

Jen
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I love your blog!

I really appreciate the folks who blog their experience because it can give some idea of what's ahead for folks looking at surgery.

I see you used Dr. Hey. We have been discussing his blog on a few threads.

Best regards,
        sharon
        Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
        Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Hi Simone,
          I am glad to hear your surgery went well and you are on the road to recovery. Dr Hey is incredible and I am so glad to have found him to do my surgery. It looks like you and I had the same fusion, T5-L1, mine was a 54 degree curve. Tuesday will be 8 weeks since my surgery and I am doing really good. I had my first follow up last week with Britney and my curve is now 16 degrees, so I can't complain. I have been off of all the morphine since week 5 and just taking motrin or extra strength tylenol, and actually haven't had anything for the past 2 days. The main think I am having problems with is sleeping. Some nights it takes a valium and ambien to get some sleep. Britney said that that is common after coming off the morphine and after such a big surgery.
          Well, take care and just remember every day does get better. If you have any questions or need to talk, feel free.
          Diagnosed borderline brace or surgery in 1980.
          Wore Milwaukee brace for several years, stabilized curve, told it wouldn't get worse. HA!!!!!
          Surgery 3/31/09, with Dr Lloyd Hey.
          Fusion T5-L1, 54 degrees to 16. Yea!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Simone--
            Congrats on a successful surgery; I can't believe how well you've done so quickly. Amazing! Janet
            Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
            Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
            Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
            Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
            T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

The blog is a nice touch. Not a bad idea! I hope all is going well for you...and Jen G is right, you do have a nice looking family..that includes you too!!
              Lynn -30.... something
              DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
              At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
              At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
              Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
              UW Madison, WI Hospital
              **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

Simone,

Nice blog and beautiful family! Looks like you have a great support group there. Your picture of you walking down the hall brought it all back. I remember putting off my physical therapist a few times because I was so scared to just get up and do it! I of course didn't get away with that to long long! What did you have fused and are you wearing a brace? Good luck with your recovery and take care.
                Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
                50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
                Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
                X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
                Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
                Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
                Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Thank you so much! I have a wonderful family and support system. I know I could not do any of this without them. I definitely have good and bad days and nights and they still love me through it all! I was fused from T5 to L1 and I am healing so far so good with the exception of the daily spasms and stiffness. Thanks for everyone's support I will continue to update my blog as I make more progress

Best,
                  Simone

Comment

Working...
                  X