Medicine post surgery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Medicine post surgery

Is it "normal" to still be on pain killers 2 1/2 months post surgery? I want to get off but when I try my neck-area hurts too much.

I appreciate any insight/feedback.

Thank you.
    Rachel

From what I've read here, yes. I stopped mine a little over a week ago, but had only been on a very low dose for a few weeks. I'll be 3 months on third of June. But everyone's different and at 2.5 months, I don't think you should be worrying at all. I think you'll find many people on this forum will tell you it's early days just yet.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I agree....Ive hear/read folks being on for several months, to a few weeks. Im quite certain that if your surgeon is "concerned" w/dependency or what have you, they would have voiced that to you already. My surgeeon was a real stickler in the medicine department. It was like pulling teeth to get refills and I was off everything but the Gabapentine(nerve pill) at 6 1/2 7 weeks!! I recall calling in pain about 3-4 weeks and being hasselled from one of the nurses...questioning how many Im taking at a time & how often. I was like HELLLLO!?!? I just had major spinal surgery, give me a break! But all in all, Im sorta glad they were like that....they could have been a little nicer about it however! lol I still take a muscle relaxer at night if Im feeling really tense from the day to help me relax a bit and get some sleep. I get those from my Primary care doctor tho...speaking of which, I think its time for a refill! lol
      Lynn -30.... something
      DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
      At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
      At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
      Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
      UW Madison, WI Hospital
      **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

I was on them for 8 months.
        Chris
        A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
        Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
        Post-op curve: 12 degrees
        Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

pain meds

I can't imagine coming off pain meds 2-3 months out. There is no reason why anyone should have to deal with pain when they can give something that will help. Oh god help my Dr. if I have that problem. Of course I say this only being one month out and still not having all my pain managed properly! Good luck!
          Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
          50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
          Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
          X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
          Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
          Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
          Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

I looked at it this way...I'd prefer my body putting all its resources into healing than having to deal with the pain. So let the meds do that side of things and let your body get on with the healing. The pain stops suddenly - well it did for me.
            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
            X