Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dizziness caused by antibiotics during Surgery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dizziness caused by antibiotics during Surgery?

After a follow up email to my surgeon, I had a phone call today from his office. Dr. Askin thinks it's caused by the antibiotics given during surgery, not the Oxycontin. I had thought it was withdrawals from Oxycontin because it was when I reduced the dose that the dizziness started. I had other symptoms as well, but they have all gone now, but the dizziness remains. Today it's lessened slightly, but it has lessened before and come back stronger, but each time it does ease off, I am hopeful that it's coming to an end.

Fingers crossed that weeks of dizziness is coming to an end this time!

Anybody else heard of antibiotics causing this problem? I don't know what antibiotics were used but they knew I was intolerant to penicillin.
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Jen,

I am hopeful for you that your dizzies are coming to and end. But to still have symptoms from the antibiotics AFTER 2 MONTHS????? I don't know if I"m buying your surgeon's story. Do you have any allergies to antibiotics?

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Are you taking any different supplements or vitamins? I just remembered an example from years ago, my husband decided to try glucosamine & chondroitin tablets for his joints. He took it for a few days and he had a terrible case of the dizzies. He topped taking them and the dizzies disappeared. It turned out that one of those ingredients (I forget which one) is derived from seashells. At one time he had a reaction to iodine given during some sort of medical test. Even though he can eat seafood with no problem, we firgured that the tablets had too much iodine.

I hope you get better soon and that you can figure out the real cause of your symptoms.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

could it be vertigo?

Have you researched vertigo?

I have occasional bouts of vertigo. The doctor said that tiny crystals can form in the vestibular canal and will float around causing dizziness. If I stay in one position, it settles down but with each change of position I start swimming again.

Most of the time I have no not trouble at all and sometimes it gets really hard to deal with. I particularly hate things like getting into bed or getting up in the morning. I have to wait for a while after I make the move for the room to stop spinning. When I have a bout of it, it is usually bad for only 2-4 days and then it gets much better or goes away completely.

I've been wondering what impact surgery will have (if any) on this condition.

It's a common condition, particularly as people age.

Sheri
        At age 56 my curves measured: 48/60/30 with lots of rotation and getting worse
        Posterior fusion T5-L4 June 30, 2009
        Excellent correction

Comment

Hi Debbe, yes I have a problem with Penicillin which was well documented at the hospital so I doubt they used that. The reaction I have is like sunburn - redness all over then skin peeling off with itchiness. So perhaps I have developed an allergic reaction to whatever other antibiotic they used. But like you, I have my doubts.

This morning the dizziness is a little better again, I have high hopes it's coming to an end. I will be so happy to be rid of them!

Hi Sheri,

I have been checked for that condition, and various others to do with the ears and also eyes. This was back when the dizziness started. I have been in remission from Graves Disease and I think it's come back, the main signs have been around the last couple of weeks. One of the signs, tachycardia, has a side-effect of dizziness...not sure if there's a connection there, but doubt it. I will be having a blood test next week to check on that.

Meantime, the dizziness is easing. Cross fingers (and everything else) that it's on the way out this time.

Comment

Jennifer--
            I do hope everything checks out for you and the dizziness will end. I switched a week ago from oxycontin and percocet to hydrocodone 750. The main thing I noticed was some dizziness especially in the morning and nausea. I know my dizziness isn't nearly what you have had but thought it interesting that mine started after the oxycontin. My main thing still is sitting! My side can only take very short spurts and then back to bed. That's why I'm never on here! Janet
            Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
            Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
            Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
            Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
            T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Thanks Janet, it is interesting that you had some dizziness after stopping the Oxycontin as well.

I hope it goes away quickly for you and doesn't linger, like it has with me.

Ahh the sitting! It was a problem for me too Janet, but at 12 weeks, it's much less of a problem now. I still lie down for a bit, after sitting at the computer for a while. So good to be flat and stretched out after sitting! Like everything else, it's slowly improving.

Comment

Working...
              X