advise please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• advise please

im an SO because my brace is so itchy and sweaty and it drives me nuts and when i eat its hard because it puts pressure against my stomach. and i had to buy new cloths because i felt bad about my self because the brace was so high but we went back and got it cut about 2inches and before it was at almost my chin!!! it was crazy so any advise please help me!!!
    love,
    cheergrl

up to your chin?! wow! my boston brace is just under the "breast-line." What kind of brace is it? Just some sort of custom fit TLSO?

Anyway, I know it's really hard to eat, but eventually you get used to it. I have a three hour break every day so I take it off for dinner and shower and tv and stuff in the evening for three hours, and then just a few minutes in the morning to get dressed and eat breakfast. Take it slow, good luck!

And it does get REALLY hot in this thing. And itchy too. Just make sure to change your undershirt if you're ever feeling really sweaty and uncomfortable. I heard some ideas about putting the undershirts in the freezer? Haha, haven't tried that one yet, but maybe I will eventually. And I also heard something about your orthotist drilling holes in the brace to allow some air flow (especially in the hot summer). Just don't stay outside in the sun for two long, and remember to switch undershirts and take a very thorough shower at the end of the day.

And about clothes, it is possible to rock some great brace outfits. Just try everything on and have an open mind. If you go into the store thinking "everything will look terrible!" it will seem that way when actually it probably doesn't look too bad.

When you first get the brace it is really hard! Just keep going, I promise it will get better.

Stephanie. Fifteen.
    Boston Braced Since March 26, 2009.
    2 thoracic curves: 28 and 22 degrees.
    1 lower lumbar curve: 14 degrees.

One leg is longer than the other; pelvic tilt.
    Curves are reversing in my brace!
    Mother and sister with mild scoliosis,
    and treatment was not required.

"I am uneven.
    2 Halves.
    1 body.
    A curve.
    So what?
    Mistakes.
    They lie.
    Within.
    My spine.
    I.
    Do not.
    Match up.
    Inside.
    And outside.
    I am uneven."

written by me. on May 7, 2008.

Comment

thanks

thank you so much hey maybe will try the freezer thing lol.and the clothees thing your right and hey guess what a guy at my school one day poked my back and said do you one of things that make you look skinny on and im like NO NO NO the boy was nuts i thought
      well thank you
      love,
      cheergrl

Comment

Milwaukee braces go up to your chin, they aren't too commonly used but some doctors still use them.

Somebody (I think on Spinekids?) said they had their brace person drill some holes in their brace and it allows air to go through keeping you cooler.

Comment

Cheergrl, do you have a Milwaukee? no offense to anyone here, but I am terrified of having to wear a Milwaukee. every day I just thank God for my brace. Even though it gets hot, the Boston is one of the best.

Stephanie. Fifteen.

"I am uneven.
          2 Halves.
          1 body.
          A curve.
          So what?
          Mistakes.
          They lie.
          Within.
          My spine.
          I.
          Do not.
          Match up.
          Inside.
          And outside.
          I am uneven."

Comment

Hi there,

Just to add, my daughter started getting itchy rashes so the orthotist put about 20 holes in her brace. Looks like swiss cheese. No more rashes. Helps a lot.
            mamandcrm

G diagnosed 6/08 at almost 7 with 25*
            Providence night brace, increased to 35*
            Rigo-Cheneau brace full-time 12/08-4/10
            14* at 10/09 OOB x-ray
            11* at 4/10 OOB x-ray
            Wearing R-C part-time since 4/10
            latest OOB xray 5/14 13*
            currently going on 13 yrs old

I no longer participate in this forum though I will update signature from time to time with status

Comment

me too!

yeah i just got a brace and yeah i totally agree with you.i can't give much advice because im still learning stuff about it, but if you just need someone to talk to im here!!

good luck,
              samiro

Comment

Originally posted by S4Sarah View Post
                Milwaukee braces go up to your chin, they aren't too commonly used but some doctors still use them.

Sarah,
                You'd be surprised at how Milwaukee braces look today. My daughter's Milwaukee was very similar to the Boston brace. It had the same hard plastic part around her torso, complete with the velcro straps. It also had two metal rods that went up over her shoulders and were very tight along her neck. It had nothing anywhere close to her chin.

Mary Lou
                Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Originally posted by StephanieSmiles View Post
                  Cheergrl, do you have a Milwaukee? no offense to anyone here, but I am terrified of having to wear a Milwaukee. every day I just thank God for my brace. Even though it gets hot, the Boston is one of the best.
                  Stephanie,

I totally agree with you being terrified of needing a Milwaukee brace! When my daughter was diagnosed with Scoliosis and Kyphosis, my research showed that it was likely that she'd need a Milwaukee. The pictures of the old Milwaukee braces terrified my daughter and I. I think the moment the doctor said he would be prescribing a Milwaukee brace was harder to hear than when we heard the words "you've proressed to needing surgery".

Mary Lou
                  Mom to Jamie age 21-diagnosed at age 12-spinal fusion 12/7/2004-fused from T3-L2; and Tracy age 19, mild Scoliosis-diagnosed at age 18.

Comment

Originally posted by Snoopy View Post
                    I think the moment the doctor said he would be prescribing a Milwaukee brace was harder to hear than when we heard the words "you've proressed to needing surgery".
                    Yes! honestly I think I would rather hear that I needed surgery. Never have I seen either my doctor or orthotist say the word "Milwaukee" but I know that if they do, it would be one of the worst moments throughout all of my scoliosis history. I'm glad someone agrees, but it's good that they don't make them AS bad anymore. are you talking about the third brace on this page: http://www.bostonbrace.com/Content/B...structures.asp ?

The second one on the page, however, frightens me..

Best of luck Cheergrl

- Steph

Stephanie. Fifteen.

"I am uneven.
                    2 Halves.
                    1 body.
                    A curve.
                    So what?
                    Mistakes.
                    They lie.
                    Within.
                    My spine.
                    I.
                    Do not.
                    Match up.
                    Inside.
                    And outside.
                    I am uneven."

Comment

Yep, the third picture is very close to what Jamie's looked like. When she wouldn't wear the Milwaukee, they switched her to a brace very similar to the first picture which wasn't really much better.

Mary Lou

Comment

Snoopy,

what degrees were your daughters curves when she was told she had to get surgery? thanks.

Stephanie. Fifteen.

"I am uneven.
                        2 Halves.
                        1 body.
                        A curve.
                        So what?
                        Mistakes.
                        They lie.
                        Within.
                        My spine.
                        I.
                        Do not.
                        Match up.
                        Inside.
                        And outside.
                        I am uneven."

Comment

Stephanie,

Jamie's Scoli curve was 46* and her Kyphosis was 71* at the time of surgery.

Mary Lou

Comment

Originally posted by Snoopy View Post
                            Sarah,
                            You'd be surprised at how Milwaukee braces look today. My daughter's Milwaukee was very similar to the Boston brace. It had the same hard plastic part around her torso, complete with the velcro straps. It also had two metal rods that went up over her shoulders and were very tight along her neck. It had nothing anywhere close to her chin.

Mary Lou
                            Yes I know, the one looks basically like a boston brace it just has a tiny metal piece with the plastic part.
                            The Superstructure boston braces however are very noticable and they have all sorts of metal components. Milwaukee braces have been improved since they were first invented but some of them still remain one of the most well un pleasent braces.

Comment

FYI to you all, I read somewhere a while back that the reason why Milwaukee braces are becoming, or have become rare, is because the studies showed that most of the upper curves that are high in the back, are compensatory, and usually will rectify themselves when the rest of the scoliosis is dealt with. Most times when a Milwaukee, or Milwaukee type brace is used, it's because the primary curve(s) is/are high up, or for other issues such as kyphosis, lordosis, etc..

Comment

Working...
                              X