Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• May 11th surgery update

Hello everyone,

Great news, i'm home from the hospital after my monday may 11th spinal surgery. Everything went well and I was corrected up to 90%, from T5 to L1. The only problem now is issues with back spasms and ribcage spasms. My doctor said its completely normal but does anyone have any reccomendations on how they are dealing with the spasms, particularly at night when they are waking me up. I try to walk at least 2 to 3 times a day and it seems to help the spasms, but the spasms hurt the most when i'm sitting up in a chair versus laying on my back. The only time I get relief is when i'm laying on my side. Also I've been running an on again off again fever of 100+ that seems to go away every other day. Has anyone else experienced that? Also before the surgery I was a great eater but since the surgery on Monday I have not had any desire to eat. Any suggestions or has this happened to anyone else?

On a brighter note, i'm at home and with my family and theyre very supportive on trying to help me to recover. I would appreciate any suggestions i.e. sleeping posisitons, special meds etc...

Thank you so much,

Simone

Simone-- thank you so much for letting us know you are home-- and how you are doing. It's wonderful that you are able to post and sound so coherent!

I can't help you with your questions, but hopefully someone else can. I do know that a lot of people experience loss of appetite for awhile. Just try to eat healthy foods that will help your body mend. I'm so glad you are home and sounding so good! Gentle hugs, Susie
    71 and plugging along... but having some problems
    2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
    5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
    Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
    CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
    10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

It's great to hear you doing well, Simone. I did not have spasms so can't help you there, but I think it's entirely normal to have loss of appetite after such a huge operation. I was hungry from day 1 but I am still only eating small amounts after 11 weeks. Perhaps try eating tiny amounts, often, and ensure it's nutritious. Nuts are jampacked with everything you need right now, so are a good snack, if you can stomach them.

I've read about people having unexplained high temperatures after the surgery. Hopefully it will just settle with time. It's still so early on, for you.

Enjoy the support of your family and know that everything gets better!

Jen
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I'm so happy for you Simone! Did I read this right? 90% correction! That is awesome! I'm sure that it will take time for your muscles to adjust to such a drastically new and improved position. I know that protein and vitamin C are so important for healing post-op. I would try and sip fruit juices for vitamins, calories, and energy, and I saw someone suggested nuts which is an excellent idea. Many patients have a reduced or absent appetite after surgery, and while on narcotics. It is so important to give your body the nutrition it needs to heal though.

Best wishes!

K

Comment

Hey!
          It is great to hear you are home and back with your family!!!
          I experianced higher temperatures too (for months after). It wasn't uncommen for me to run a 100 degrees for no good reason. The muscle spasms are probabily because of your body adjusting to its new postition. It has been crooked for some time so it will take it a little bit to get aligned and situated. Are you on any muscle relaxers to help? Hope you keep getting better!!!!
          Diagnosed in '06'
          Wore TLSO brace for 18 mo.
          Upper curve 40 degrees; lower 35 degrees
          Surgery in March '08' (T6 - T11)
          Rods for 7 vertabraes; 3 fused
          Still have lumbar curve (T12 - L4) of now, 33 degrees
          I have osteoarthritis, 3 bulging discs, stenosis, fast progressing lordosis, vertebrea twisting (vertebreas almost on side) all in lumbar spine. Will most likely have another surgery to extend rods and fusion. :'(

Comment

Originally posted by swilson View Post
            Hello everyone,

Great news, i'm home from the hospital after my monday may 11th spinal surgery. Everything went well and I was corrected up to 90%, from T5 to L1. The only problem now is issues with back spasms and ribcage spasms. My doctor said its completely normal but does anyone have any reccomendations on how they are dealing with the spasms, particularly at night when they are waking me up. I try to walk at least 2 to 3 times a day and it seems to help the spasms, but the spasms hurt the most when i'm sitting up in a chair versus laying on my back. The only time I get relief is when i'm laying on my side. Also I've been running an on again off again fever of 100+ that seems to go away every other day. Has anyone else experienced that? Also before the surgery I was a great eater but since the surgery on Monday I have not had any desire to eat. Any suggestions or has this happened to anyone else?

On a brighter note, i'm at home and with my family and theyre very supportive on trying to help me to recover. I would appreciate any suggestions i.e. sleeping posisitons, special meds etc...

Thank you so much,

Simone
            Simone....Susie Bee is right, you do sound(type-ha ha) great for being fresh out of surgery! Thats always refreshing to hear! Congrats on the great correction as well!! I didnt get any spasms either, but I hear they are quite common. Im so happy for you that are able to walk 2-3 times a day already. Am I reading this right...your fusion was on the 11th? WOW! Thats fantastic!! Your body is adjusting to your new straightened spine and you will continue to feel different feelings, pains & sensations. Im sure most of us here can agree to that...even at a few month post op. And Im soo jealous of the fact you are most comfortable on your side! Im now just starting to be able to sleep on my side for a few hours at a shot before Im woken up w/pain & stiffness. I guess my only advise is keep taking your meds and dont over do it. You are truly fresh out of surgery & your body needs rest to help the healing process. I didnt have a fever either.....I was advised that if I did have one to call the docs office ASAP as that could mean infection. Perhaps you should give a call Monday? Eating...I didnt feel like eating like much until about 2-3 weeks post op. I did eat, but I forced myself as I knew I wouldnt feel well if I didnt. I was back to eating regularly after that point but was bloated and puffy for about 2 months after. I really didnt think THAT was going to go away! lol Well, it really sounds llike you are doing great......keep us updated w/your recovery!!

Lynn
            Lynn -30.... something
            DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
            At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
            At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
            Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
            UW Madison, WI Hospital
            **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

Simone~
              They are all so right! I still have very little appetite and so may of the foods I used to love I can't even look at right now. Anytime I think I am doing really good, I try to do something and end up with awful muscle spasms and severe pain. I still can't sleep on my side, I wish I could. I too am still puffy and swollen. I'll be glad when this goes away.

Keep walking! I'm not walking like I should, I'm so glad you are that is wonderful!
              ~Em

Diagnosed at 13, Milw brace-didn't wear it like I should have.
              pre-surg 78* Thoracic,
              post-surg 22* Thoracic.
              Fusion from T2 to L2 scheduled for April 15, 09 in Tulsa, OK

Comment

Simone,

Congrats on being home. Your recovery sounds just like mine with the muscle spasms!!!!! My first week home I slept in a hosital bed in our living room and after the 1st week I made it up the 20 stairs to our bedroom. That's when I started having the problems. For me, I was sleeping on my back. when I would first get in bed I would watch tv and be completely comfy. When I would wake up about 2 hours later, good lord I couldn't even breath let alone move. This went on for a week before I called the Dr. They recomended another muscle relaxers for just night time use (Zanaflex) Also, Linda had mentioned not sleeping on my back at all. So I started sleeping on my side, which I have always been a side sleeper. It has made a huge difference. It isn't always easy to roll over. I can't do the long role, I have a very thick matress top. I kind of flip my hips first and than work on moving my upper body and also grab my husbands hand when I have to. It really has taken a week for the new meds to work along with the different sleep position to work. Last night was the best night that I have had so far. I also have a difficult time sitting for any lengths of time. Our you wearing a brace. I have to wear for 6-12 weeks and it causes me a lot of pain. I've had trouble getting it to fir properly due to weight loss. Like you, my appetite has disappeared. I have lost about 25 pounds, maybe a little bit more. I find that I can eat fruit...it helps with the dry mouth. My husband went out and got a bunch of fruit and protein powder last night and made me a smoothie which went down really good. Maybe you could try that. I also can eat peanutbutter and Jelly pretty good. I use an all natural peanutbutter that has omega 3's and 6's, wheat germ and flaxseeds. I can't always eat a whole one but I sometimes keep a 1/2 by the bed and just take bites when I can. I really have been forcing myself to eat as much as I can and I am starting to feel a little bit better today. Also all the fruit and peanutbutter help with fiber! Hopefuly the meds aren't making you sick like they are me. One day at a time though. Okay, I have rambled on enough. good luck with those muscle spasms! Let me know if you have any other questions that maybe I can help you with. good luck and I'll keep my fingers crossed for you
                Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
                50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
                Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
                X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
                Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
                Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
                Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                X