Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• night time spasms post surgery

hey everyone,

I am just wondering for those who have had surgery if anyone has experienced really bad muscle spasms all around their back and throughout their ribcage @ night in bed to point of not being able to move or breath. I didn't experience this until about a week ago and I am about 3 weeks post-op now. It seems to be getting worse everynight and I an getting frustrated as well as scared at the fact that I can't breath. It takes at least an hour for my meds to kick in and then I can fall back to sleep. Sometimes when I wake up they are still there, just not as bad, and other times they are the same, not much improvement. My second week home I wasn't experience this at all. At that point my husband was helping my roll over if I had to.....no muscle spasms though, aside of that very tight feeling we all have after surgery.

My thought in regards to this is my rib cage is adjusting to it's new position....or trying to but geeezzzz how long will this last???? Anyone one with any input would be so appreciated. I am waiting to hear back from my doc. It will be interesting to see what he says.

hope all this rambling makes sense. It was a long night! Sorry if I babbled :O) I am trying to be positive....lack of sleep makes it hard, but I am hanging in there.
    Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
    50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
    Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
    X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
    Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
    Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
    Nice and straight now!!!!!

Susan~
    Thank you for your post! I had the same thing happen. I thought it was because of my driving that second time. It has been going on about a week and a half. When I initially lay down in bed I literally scream out in pain, then do lamaze breathing for at least 5-10 minutes. I've started taking a pain pill about 30min-hour before I go to bed. I have to psych myself up to go to bed. I wake up about midnight to 3am and then just go down and sleep the rest of the night in my recliner. The pain seems to be mostly on the side my curve went into. At PT they said nerves grow about 1mm a month, maybe those nerves are just meeting up? Is this going to happen everytime nerves reconnect?

Does anyone have any suggestions for us???
    ~Em

Diagnosed at 13, Milw brace-didn't wear it like I should have.
    pre-surg 78* Thoracic,
    post-surg 22* Thoracic.
    Fusion from T2 to L2 scheduled for April 15, 09 in Tulsa, OK

Comment

Em,

I feel great when I first go to bed. Mine happens when I wake up around 2am-4am. It first started happening around 5am-6am so I started taken my 12 hour pain meds earlier and I am not sure that plan is working to well. I am waiting to hear back from the doc but I think he might be out of town so I need to call his nurse and see what she says. Hope fully we will start feeling better soon! good luck
      Susan

Comment

Hi...

I have ribcage spasms if I lay on my back on a hard bed, or on the floor, but I'm fine on my super soft bed. Maybe you can try out a memory foam pad. I would recommend something at least 2" thick.

Regards,
        Linda
        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
        Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Linda,

Thanks for the input. I will try sleeping on my side all night tonight and see what happens. I have always been a side sleeper but as of late when I get in bed I lay on my back first and start watching tv and than fall asleep. Then when I wake 2 hours later, that's when I have the problem. My Doctor's nurse called and they are prescribing a new med for night time and I should have written it down because I can't remember what it is called...Lyrica maybe? Does that sound like it maybe right? The room was rather busy at the time I spoke with her. Not smart on my part. My husband is going out here shortly to pick it up so I am going to keep my fingers crossed that it works. They said I will only be taking it at night. Sorry this message is rather choppy, meds must be kicking in lol. Take care and again thank you for your suggestion!
          Susan

Comment

Working...
          X