Food Aversions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Food Aversions?

Has anyone had a change in eating habits? or new food aversions? I used to drink a lot of coffee, up to three pots a day, and I can't drink it at all anymore. Same with most sweets, dairy products and meat, yuck the thought of eating them turn my stomache. But I do drink tons of water and more salads. I am worried aout my protein intake, someone mentioned a protein capsule????

Anyone else have this problem?
    ~Em

Diagnosed at 13, Milw brace-didn't wear it like I should have.
    pre-surg 78* Thoracic,
    post-surg 22* Thoracic.
    Fusion from T2 to L2 scheduled for April 15, 09 in Tulsa, OK

Originally posted by emwonderfull View Post
    Has anyone had a change in eating habits? or new food aversions? I used to drink a lot of coffee, up to three pots a day, and I can't drink it at all anymore. Same with most sweets, dairy products and meat, yuck the thought of eating them turn my stomache. But I do drink tons of water and more salads. I am worried aout my protein intake, someone mentioned a protein capsule????

Anyone else have this problem?
    Em,

The first month or so after surgery I turned my nose up at lots of foods that I previously liked. It took a while for my stomach to get back to normal. Within 2 months I was eating everything (unfortunately.) I wish I still had an aversion to fattening foods!

You'll get there don't worry. Part of it is that your stomach has probably really shrunk down and also the drugs you are on are reeking havoc with your system. For now just eat what you can tolerate and don't worry about it.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

food aversions

Em,

How far out from surgery are you...I should remember but can't. It's all those meds :O) I am 3 weeks out from my second surgery and have no appetite what so ever. My husband has been giving me such a hard time. All natural peanutbutter and jelly has been working for me. Everything else is a really struggle to get down.

As far as protein.....I take a protein supplement call the MAP. You can buy it on line at www.masteraminoacidpattern.com. In five pills it gives you all your protein for one day. Obviously we should still be eatting out lean protein but it beats not being able to get anything down.

However, I must tell you that it is very expensive. It's about $53 (give a dollar or two) a bottle. I figure during this time of healing though and until I can eat better I will keep stocked up on it.

You could also try a protein supplement powder and make shakes with milk and add fruit to it if you think that might work. My husband is going to pick some up for me and the thought at drinking those makes me want to throw up but I know at this point I need to make sure I start eating better. I have lost about 30 pounds and that's not good at all.....yuck! Good luck and if I come up with anything that works for me I'll let you know. Take care
      Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
      50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
      Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
      X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
      Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
      Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
      Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Susan~
        Thank you for the advise, I'll order the MAP today. Peanut butter and jelly sandwich sounds great...but I'm allergic to nuts! I can eat baked potatoes and cheese ravioli with marinara.

I've worn sweats and pj's since my surgery (april 15th), but I tried on real pants today, I'm back down to a size 6! I haven't been there in years. It is nice. I just don't want to lose more.

I'm supposed to return to work on May 27th. I'm not sure I'll make it.
        ~Em

Diagnosed at 13, Milw brace-didn't wear it like I should have.
        pre-surg 78* Thoracic,
        post-surg 22* Thoracic.
        Fusion from T2 to L2 scheduled for April 15, 09 in Tulsa, OK

Comment

Em

Beans. Eat beans. Garbonzo beans, kidney beans, soy beans, etc... My mother-in-law doesn't like the way meat feels in her stomach, although she does eat it once in a while, (she usually feeds most of it to the dogs though...). Instead she eats a lot of beans. There are a lot of really good recipes out there too. www.allrecipes.com is a good place for recipes that I like.

Have you tried Silk? Its a soy milk product, and not bad. I really like the chocolate one.

Hope this helps.

Brad
          Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
          Still have 57 degree curve
          2 Harrington rods
          Luque method used
          Dr David Bradford
          Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
          Preop xray (with brace on)
          Postop xray

Comment

Hi Em

There are lots of ways to get that protein, fish or chicken etc.

I have passed stones (kidney and gall) so I'm basically still on a "gall bladder diet". Just Google it. I wont give in due to extreme stone pain in the past. Its a helluva way to learn discipline with eating habits.

Water is essential.... mucho importante!!! Good to hear you have quit all the bad stuff!

The silk milk Brad mentioned is great. That and organic raisin granola with fresh blueberries and raspberries is fantastic in the morning. Oh hell, think I will have a bowl right now!

Protein smoothies with whey protein powder,blueberries,strawberries,raspberries,banana ,almonds,yogurt tastes great and is a great way to get your protein right now.

Bon Appétit
            Emeril
            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Hi Em,

I completely lost my appetite after my surgery and lost 12 pounds in 10 days. A nutritionist had to come talk to me in the hospital because I wasn't eating. I couldn't help it! I wasn't hungry at all and everything looked gross. When I came home from the hospital, I had a really hard time keeping food down. I finally stopped throwing up around week 7. I gained all the weight back around 3-4 months. I only wanted to gain back 5 though.

You'll get your appetite back. Have you tried protein shakes? They weren't very appetizing either but at least you can get a lot of nutrition in a small amount. I hope you're feeling better soon!

Shell
              Chemist, 30

1998- 18 degrees
              2003- 33 degrees
              2005- 37 degrees
              2006- 44 degrees
              May 2007- 47 degrees
              December 2007 - 50 degrees X-ray

Surgery May 27, 2008
              Fused T1 to L2
              Curve corrected to 15 degrees X-ray

Comment

I had the same problem in the hospital with eatting. The only thing I had was some fruit and the unsure aplle juice drink. They sent in a nutritionist to try and get different food up to me that I might be able to eat but even that didn't help. As I said in a prior post Peanutbutter and jelly worked ok. My husband would bring one in and it would take me all day to eat it. The residents accepted that along with drinking the juice drinks but still kept on me. It's amazing how much you really do forget until someone mentions it. My husband told me some funny stories that I had totaly forgotten about and got a good laugh at once we were home!
                Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
                50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
                Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
                X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
                Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
                Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
                Nice and straight now!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                X