What a difference a year makes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What a difference a year makes

I've been hanging around here for just over a year now. It's almost 7 months since my surgery. Today my best friend and I went on one of our twice yearly outlet mall shopping trips. We missed last fall since I was recovering from surgery. Last spring when we went, I was beat, had so much lower back and leg pain and was thoroughly exhausted.

Today, we shopped from 10:00AM until 7:00PM. My feet were tired. My calves were tired. My back felt FINE!!! Not one drop of pain. I think I actually had more energy than my friend! One funny incident was when we first started, I had an empty canvas bag hanging on my shoulder, and the sides of the bag were flapping a little on my back. I felt 'something' funny back there and told her it felt like my back was moving in a way it shouldn't. DUMB me!! It was the bag hitting me as I walked. When you're kind of (but not totally) numb back there sometimes it's hard to tell what's touching you!!

Within a month I should be starting back working as a contractor again at the last company I was at. Things are looking up. I'm so happy the last year played out as it did. If I had put off the surgery, I'd be in the same boat or WORSE than I was last year.

Thanks again to everyone who gave me so much moral support. I couldn't have done it without you. Ok maybe I could have but I would have ended up in the looney bin.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Glad you're doing so well. It's good that others can see that there is life after surgery.
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

What a bright, positive post, so good to read! I know there are a couple of posters here struggling right now so reading this will, hopefully, help.

Congrats Debbei. It must be wonderful to be over "this thing" (as you know, that's what I've always called the surgery) and taking back your life. With a much brighter future!

I especially enjoyed reading that after all those hours shopping, your back WAS FINE!

Did you score some nice things?
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Yay, Debbe!

I'm so happy you're doing so well! You're always so cheerful and positive for all of us, and I always enjoy your posts. We've both been through a lot and have come a long way since that day almost a year ago when we met in Dr. B's office.

Now, I'm jealous of your shopping trip! Since I'm 3 months behind you, maybe I'll get to do that someday soon (once I ever get out of this brace). Let's try to get together later this summer when I go to NY for my 6-month check-up!

Hugs,
        Anne

Comment

That's great, Debbe!!!
          Chris
          A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
          Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
          Post-op curve: 12 degrees
          Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Debbe,

So happy for you!

That's really great how you have recovered.

Best regards,
            sharon
            Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
            Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Congratulations on that wonderful milestone. And great story!

Mary Ellen

Comment

Debbe

Sounds good. Just wait a few more months, and see how you feel. I still had dramatic improvements from month 9 to 15. I don't know how you do the shopping thing, that's something that would kill me.

Shopping has been proven to be one of the worst things for the male scoliotic spine, I've proven that one LOL
                Ed
                49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Great to hear Debbe!

Brad
                  Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
                  Still have 57 degree curve
                  2 Harrington rods
                  Luque method used
                  Dr David Bradford
                  Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
                  Preop xray (with brace on)
                  Postop xray

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                    Debbe

Sounds good. Just wait a few more months, and see how you feel. I still had dramatic improvements from month 9 to 15. I don't know how you do the shopping thing, that's something that would kill me.

Shopping has been proven to be one of the worst things for the male scoliotic spine, I've proven that one LOL
                    Ed
                    Speaking of shopping...

I got this in the mail recently...

BANNED FROM WAL-MART...

This is why women should not take men( i.e me) shopping against their will.

After I retired, my wife insisted that I accompany her on her trips to Wal-Mart. Unfortunately, like most men, I found shopping boring and preferred to get in and get out. Equally unfortunately, my wife is like most women - she loved to browse.

Yesterday my dear wife received the following letter from the local Wal-Mart:

Dear Mrs. Samsel,

Over the past six months, your husband has been causing quite a commotion in our store. We cannot tolerate this behavior and have been forced to ban both of you from the store. Our complaints against Mr. Samsel are listed below and are documented by our video surveillance cameras.

1. June 15: Took 24 boxes of condoms and randomly put them in people's carts when they weren't looking.

2. July 2: Set all the alarm clocks in Housewares to go off at 5-minute intervals.

3. July 7: Made a trail of tomato juice on the floor leading to the women's restroom.

4 July 19: Walked up to an employee and told her in an official voice, 'Code 3 in Housewares. Get on it right away.'

5. August 4: Went to the Service Desk and tried to put a bag of M&M's on layaway.

6. August 14: Moved a 'CAUTION - WET FLOOR' sign to a carpeted area.

7. August 15: Set up a tent in the camping department and told other shoppers he'd invite them in if they would bring pillows and blankets from the bedding department.

8. August 23: When a clerk asked if they could help him he began crying and screamed, 'Why can't you people just leave me alone?'

9. September 4: Looked right into the security camera and used it as a mirror while he picked his nose.

10. September 10: While handling guns in the hunting department, he asked the clerk where the antidepressants were.

11. October 3: Darted around the store suspiciously while loudly humming the ' Mission Impossible' theme.

12. October 6: In the auto department, he practiced his 'Madonna look' by using different sizes of funnels.

13. October 18: Hid in a clothing rack and when people browsed through yelled, 'PICK ME! PICK ME!'

14. October 21: When an announcement came over the loud speaker, he assumed a fetal position and screamed, 'OH NO! IT'S THOSE VOICES AGAIN!'
                    And last, but not least...

15. October 23: Went into a fitting room, shut the door, waited awhile, then yelled very loudly, 'Hey! There's no toilet paper in here!'

Sincerely,
                    Wal-Mart
                    Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
                    Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

Okay, I admit it: I laughed out loud.
                      Chris
                      A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                      Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                      Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                      Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Originally posted by titaniumed View Post
                        Debbe

Ed
                        Ed,

I have always shopped for sport It has always been therapeutic for me. Even when I was in back pain prior to surgery, I went, I'd just whine afterwards.

I'm looking forward to the dramatic improvements you're talking about.

Comment

Sharon--

about the shopping joke---BWHAAAAHAAAHAAA!!!!!

Comment

Debbe,

This is a true story, and a serious subject for some of us who LOVE Wal mart and what they do.

You see, this poor guy was forced to go to Wal Mart. I don't blame him one bit. If the cops were called and removed him from the store, it would be a favor.

I have had full blown anxiety attacks while being forced to go shopping. I thought I was having a heart attack, and almost died in ladies lingerie one time at Wal Mart.This has happened more than once and I know better and it will NEVER happen again. It happens because there isn't anything that I haven't seen or necessarily want. It can happen to me at Home Depot also. At Christmas, I have a female friend do the shopping for me. I tell her 20 presents and give her $2000.

Spending money on things that are not necessary just doesn't make any sense to me. One quality item, or nothing is the way I feel. Now going to buy something that is needed is a mission, that only takes 3 minutes, and not shopping. I buy my cars in 3 minutes also, with the prices made public online, there is no discussion about price.

I've adopted this view as I've gotten older. I feel sorry for him, he was only reacting to a situation that was beyond his control and can be dangerous health wise as a senior. His only recourse was to get banned by Wal Mart management, and probably saved his life.

#15 This was his "primal scream" therapy. His last recourse to an extremely desperate situation.

The next time you go shopping and see an older gentleman with a blank look on his face, watch out, he freaking out.
                            Ed
                            49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                            Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                            ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                            Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                            http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Originally posted by debbei View Post
                              When you're kind of (but not totally) numb back there sometimes it's hard to tell what's touching you!!
                              Just curious about your numb spot... If you get pinched there does it hurt 10 times as much as a regular pinch? I have a nice numb spot around my right shoulder blade and a bit lower and if I get pinched there it hurts a lot. A lot a lot. Three inches lower and it wouldn't hurt near as much.

So just curious.

(I'm like Ed too. If I'm 'shopping' its in and out, and no need to wander around. Well unless its at Lowes around tools.
                              Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
                              Still have 57 degree curve
                              2 Harrington rods
                              Luque method used
                              Dr David Bradford
                              Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
                              Preop xray (with brace on)
                              Postop xray

Comment

Working...
                              X