How much pain is too much?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How much pain is too much?

The more I research the more confused I am. stiff every day of my life, my back hurts, it seems that i do less and less every year. I see a ciropractor at least 3 times a mointh for some relief.I can't wear heals any more, and yes i am slightly crooked.My curves are thoratic 30 and Lumbar45 degrees.
    Will I have less pain after the surgery???, I am not interested in the surgery just for vanity purpose.
    I Have a 15 month old son, who weighs 30 pounds, so i really need to know how long the recovery is. And i need this info from someone who isn't trying to sell me a $ 21,000 dollar back Surgery.
    Brut honesty is appreciated
    thanks DeeDee

Hi DeeDee...

I think every doctor will tell you that there is no guarantee that you'll be out of pain after surgery. With that said, most of the people I know tell me that the pain they had before surgery was relieved. However, surgery itself is fairly painful, and recovery is long, especially for those of us who are older.

I would highly recommend that you hold off on making any decision until after you no longer need to lift or carry your child. That's something that is usually incredibly hard on one's back. So, you may find that your pain is reduced somewhat when you no longer have to lift or carry.

Regards,
    Linda

P.S. I'm going to try to get this post moved to the Adult Surgical area of these forums.
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Dee Dee,
      I second Linda's recommendation as this was my experience. I'd first considered surgery in my late 20's and decided to put it off until after having children. Then, when my boys were little, all I could think was "when they get older, I'm gonna do this". The pain was unbearable. Now, they are 4 and 7 and I am 40 and my pain is much less than 5 years ago. All I do for it is keep active, do yoga and use hot packs when it gets bad. This is not to say I'm anti-surgery. Believe me, I'm still considering it for prevention of future problems. My point is that you are straining your back much more now than you know. After your son is 3 or so, the pain might decrease a lot. Good luck. Nora

Comment

DeeDee,
        If you don't want to use alot of perscription pain meds look into holistic help. My dad had herrington rod surgery and then had the lower rods removed when they pulled from the spine. Between the end of the rods, scar tissue and neuropathy he has a lot of pain. I finally had him try the essential oil helichrysum and it has worked wonders. Just remember to not over due any holistic/herbal remedy, treat it like any other OTC you might use.

Comment

Working...
        X