interesting/rare complication... :/

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• interesting/rare complication... :/

I am almost six weeks post-op and my back is feeling GREAT! In fact, my doctor said I have been way "ahead of the curve," since day one. I am very happy with the results of my back surgery and my back doesn't hurt at all! However... at about three weeks post-op I started to experience shortness of breath, so I went to the doctor who performed a chest x-ray and CT scan -- everything was normal. Anyway, a week later, I began experiencing excruciating knife-stabbing pains in the side of my rib cage that intensified when I lied down or whenever I laughed, cried, yawned, burped, tried to take a deep breath, etc. Because the Percocet and Valium I had been taking wasn't helping at all, I went to the doctor for some relief/answers, and he dismissed my pain as spasms in my intercostal muscles and possible nerve pain, and prescribed me Skelaxon and Lyrica. Neither helped. A week later... the pain kept getting worse and worse. I was getting shorter and shorter of breath that I'd become winded after going up half a flight of stairs! I got to the point where I stuck hunched over in bed because I couldn't breathe and the pain was so bad! At this point, my doc told me physical therapy may help, and while the massages felt good at the time, in the end the pain was NOT going away and I just could NOT take in enough oxygen. I went back to my doctor this past Friday after taking some more x-rays that morning. Turns out I've had a MASSIVE amount of fluid around my lungs for the past couple of weeks -- called pleural effusion -- and that has been causing inflammation. The fluid and inflammation have been causing my shortness of breath/severe pain, supposedly. Anyway, my doctor didn't feel comfortable sending me home that day, and admitted me to the hospital to see a pulmonologist. What's weird is that I remember experiencing "tightness" in my chest a few days after my scoli surgery, and they did a CT scan, which showed I had some fluid. That time, it went away on its own, though, since at three weeks post-op, my lungs were clear. This time, it caw back a lot worse, and they don't know why. Since Friday, I have been poked and prodded and have eight x-rays and two CT scans. Because the CT scan showed soooo much fluid, they decided to do a thoracentesis, which is an invasive procedure to remove fluid or air from the pleural space. The needle part didn't bother me at all, but the fluid removal process hurt like HECK and I honestly felt like I was having a heart attack (not that I'd ever had one, but that's what I would imagine one would be like). It caused my lung to re-expand so quickly, that the pressure/pain was just unbearable. Anyway... by the next day, nearly ALL the fluid returned. I was so upset. So, they put in a chest tube today, which is so painful I wouldn't wish one on my own worst enemy. Docs want the fluid to drain over a few days, so I will be having this thing inserted in me for awhile, which sucks! What is even more frustrating, though, is that most of the docs here refuse to admit that this pleural effusion is surgery related (which I KNOW it is...I've NEVER had lung problems before, and my chest x-rays have always been normal up until the surgery). They are testing my fluid for infections, lupus, even cancer! It is ridiculous. One doc finally came in and said he thinks it is just a rare reaction to the surgery and he believes my pleural cavity is just so inflamed from being "manipulated" so much. Yes, it's rare, but that's me... And I don't "blame" any of my doctors for what has happened. This couldn't have been predicted/prevented. Anyway, I will be in the hospital for at least another week, but if the fluid continues to return even with the chest tube, I will have to have another procedure called pleurodesis, which essentially causes the membranes around the lung to stick together and prevents the buildup and/or reaccumulation of fluid in the space between the membranes.

Please keep me in your thoughts/prayers, everyone! This totally sucks!

You poor thing. This sounds awful. Of course it must be related to surgery. I'm 6 weeks out today and could never say my back felt good yet at all, but this complication sounds no fun at all. Certainly thoughts and prayers are with you so you can get back on the mend. Hang in there. Janet
    Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
    Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
    Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
    Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
    T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Hi Jess....

How awful. I hope you've seen the worst of it now, and will recover quickly from here out.

Hang in there. It will get better.

Regards,
      Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Oh, I hate it when I hear of complications. I had a lymphocele develope after my second surgery and the pain and bloating from fluid is indescribable. Now that they have figured out what is going on, I hope you get lasting relief. I will be praying for you as you go through the ups and downs of figuring out what to do next and that all will be successful. I kept praying for God to give my doctors knowledge as mine was so very rare also. Nanc
        Nancy Joy

Surgery- Posterior- Oct. 8th, 2008
        Anterior- Nov. 10th, 2008
        Age 54
        T10 to Sacrum
        Curve 65 degrees
        Very straight now!!!

Comment

I'm sorry to hear of this complication, but I'm glad they finally figured out what was going on.

I had been reading some of your blog and seen your photo album. My 16 year old dd is set for surgery on June 1.

You will remain in my thoughts and prayers--do keep us posted!

Marian

Comment

Jess.....wow...total bummer! Im soo sorry to hear about what you're going thru. I would have to say, that if it isnt from your surgery...than it's an aweful BIG coincidence, right? Yikes! Well, please get better soon......take care of yourself, and thanks for posting!

Lynn
            Lynn -30.... something
            DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
            At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
            At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
            Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
            UW Madison, WI Hospital
            **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

Oh boy. I was wondering how you were doing Jess.

Sometimes were not home scott free, and we have to stay strong. My surgeon told me that my surgery was going to be 100% problematic, that something would go wrong. I'm sure that he wants all his patients to be prepared, just in case. I told him that I was ready, since my extreme pain through the years were influencing my decision.

Your decision at age 25 is saving all those painful years that I experienced. I always thought of my post surgical surgeries as just another mountain peak to scale, yes its hard, but the reward will be worth it, and yes I can do this.

You can do this, you are a mountain climber. Get over that mountain! The Doctors always strive to do their very best, and they need you strong now. Get well soon!

Ed
              49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
              Pre surgery curves T70,L70
              ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
              Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
              http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Jess-- sooooo sorry to hear about all this, but it sounds like you've crossed the biggest hurdle-- having the doctors figure out the problem. I'll sure be praying for you and thinking of you. Hopefully it will be pretty quick that the fluid problem is resolved and you can get on with your recovery and your life away from the hospital. In the meantime, hang in there. Sending gentle hugs, Susie
                71 and plugging along... but having some problems
                2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
                5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
                Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
                CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
                10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Jess...you poor dear. I'm so glad you pushed to get an answer. I've also been wondering about you. Hopefully that darn fluid will just STAY AWAY. You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                  Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                  Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                  Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                  Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

!!!!!

Glad you are okay, and best wishes for a rapid recovery from here on ..... !
                    Chris
                    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
                    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
                    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
                    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Jess

I had a partial lung collapse 3rd day after my first surgery....I wasn't up and about at that time so I didn't know I was not getting enough oxygen but even on supplemental oxygen the pulse oximeter was reading in the 80's. So 2 techs and a nurse came into my room and inserted a chest tube right there in my bed. OUCH! They had removed the PCA that morning and I was sure wishing I still had that magic button! Over the next 4 days that tube was draining and I still did my walks around the floor and PT. I'm sorry to say at times the pain was simply unbearable, the last night was the worst. The good news is that when they removed the tube it didn't hurt a bit. They just put steri strips on and taped me up tight. As that spot was healing it was very sore - I just made sure to stretch it out whenever I thought about it. At 5 weeks out the pain there was all but gone. And the incision site is now smooth with no hard scar tissue underneath in case you are wondering about that.

You're where you need to be right now so just do what you can to distract yourself. It does get better! I'm pulling for you!
                      Julie - 51 yrs old

Dx'd 1973 - 43* thoracic curve / rotation
                      Wore Milwaukee brace 1973 - 1979
                      Pre-surgery: 63* thoracic / 52* lumbar curves

Surgeries: P - March 16, 2009 - Fused T3-S2 with pelvic fixation
                      A -April 14, 2009 - Fused L5-S1
                      Achieved +70% Correction
                      Dr. Khaled Kebaish, (and team) Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore

Standing x-ray
                      New Spine 03/19/2009
                      New Spine Lateral 03/19/2009

Comment

Jess,

God bless you. You're in my prayers. Hang in there, it will get better.

Comment

Originally posted by doodie View Post
                          Jess

I had a partial lung collapse 3rd day after my first surgery....I wasn't up and about at that time so I didn't know I was not getting enough oxygen but even on supplemental oxygen the pulse oximeter was reading in the 80's. So 2 techs and a nurse came into my room and inserted a chest tube right there in my bed. OUCH! They had removed the PCA that morning and I was sure wishing I still had that magic button! Over the next 4 days that tube was draining and I still did my walks around the floor and PT. I'm sorry to say at times the pain was simply unbearable, the last night was the worst. The good news is that when they removed the tube it didn't hurt a bit. They just put steri strips on and taped me up tight. As that spot was healing it was very sore - I just made sure to stretch it out whenever I thought about it. At 5 weeks out the pain there was all but gone. And the incision site is now smooth with no hard scar tissue underneath in case you are wondering about that.

You're where you need to be right now so just do what you can to distract yourself. It does get better! I'm pulling for you!

Thanks all!

Doodie,
                          Did you have the anterior approach? One of the doctors said a pleural effusions is relatively common when they cut into you anteriorly, but I just had a posterior fusion...which makes this thing even more weird/rare! It is also weird that is keeps coming back. Why oh why...

Comment

Jess,
                            I did have an anterior procedure done but it was 4 weeks after the first surgery using a cesarean entry due to the fact that they fused only L5 - S1. So I didn't have the big chest incision that people sometimes have. Lung collapse was one of the risks/complications that my Dr. listed when we were discussing surgery....
                            Julie - 51 yrs old

Dx'd 1973 - 43* thoracic curve / rotation
                            Wore Milwaukee brace 1973 - 1979
                            Pre-surgery: 63* thoracic / 52* lumbar curves

Surgeries: P - March 16, 2009 - Fused T3-S2 with pelvic fixation
                            A -April 14, 2009 - Fused L5-S1
                            Achieved +70% Correction
                            Dr. Khaled Kebaish, (and team) Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore

Standing x-ray
                            New Spine 03/19/2009
                            New Spine Lateral 03/19/2009

Comment

Jess,

I am so sorry for this setback for you. You will be in my prayers.

Sally
                              Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                              Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                              Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                              Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                              New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                              Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Working...
                              X