Kind of bummed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kind of bummed

Well, it's been a while since I got on here to complain....
    But...last week I got a new pair of sneakers, which apparently changed my stride or my gait or something because after a brisk two-mile walk in them, I have been in significant discomfort (okay, PAIN) ever since. I believe it's muscular because I feel fine if I'm sitting still or lying down. But walking...I feel like I'm three months post-op again. Have felt this way for 3 days now.
    I have some spasms along the anterior incision and feel lots of pulling and soreness where all the hardware is.

This has happened before -- like when I got a new car -- and it seems that no matter how much I try to build my core with PT exercises, walking, etc. etc. there is always a big price to pay for every change in my routine. Even after all this time, I STILL have not figured out when to push myself and when to rest. I just wonder if those muscles around the fusion will ever work properly again.

Any thoughts? Commerisation? Pep talks?????????????
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Chris,

I'm sorry you're having this problem now, especially after you've felt so good for some time. I can't give you any good advice other than to rest while you're feeling bad. Do you use muscle relaxants when this happens? They really do help me. Last week we were driving on a road with construction and my husband didn't see a curb when we were pulling into a restaurant. A big KABOOM actually lifted me out of my seat a little and I banged back down. OMG I thought I would die, and during the dinner I felt my back tighten up. As soon as we came home, I took one muscle relaxant (I use Baclofen) went to bed for the night (because they make me stupid). By the next afternoon I felt just fine. No need for another muscle relaxant or anything. I did use the hottub which I think also helped.

There have been other times when I had no clue what I did to cause the spasms. I'm sorry to hear that you are still in the dark about what you've done after 3 years.

Maybe once you feel better, go back to your old shoes?

Editing to add that heating pads also help me big time when it happens to me.

Feel better soon,

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Thanks Debbe, I'm feeling better. Heating pads and sitting around for 4 days helped a lot. I'm two years post-op, not three, but who's counting?!? ha ha

I do wonder if there is a way to isolate and strengthen the muscles around the fusion...they are so vulnerable. At least mine seem to be.
      Chris

Comment

Chris

Which hurt more? The new sneakers or the new car? LOL I bought a new BMW years ago and it almost KILLED me.

Our muscles will always be compromised to a certain extent.....................

Once again, slow and easy now
        Ed
        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Hi Chris...

I hear ya! It seems like every time I change anything, I pay for it for awhile. I've found it can be almost anything, including carrying a new purse, or wearing a new type of bra. Crazy! Hang in there.

Regards,
          Linda
          Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
          ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
          Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
            Hi Chris...

I hear ya! It seems like every time I change anything, I pay for it for awhile. I've found it can be almost anything, including carrying a new purse, or wearing a new type of bra. Crazy! Hang in there.

Regards,
            Linda
            ACK! As far as the bra goes, when I'm home I always go without!! I really can't stand wearing them any more. Does it get better? I hope so because even though I'm not that big if I keep this up I'll end up drooping down to my knees!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
            Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
            Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
            Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
            Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

I know everytime I wear a bra is chafes something fierce... Sometimes I wonder if I am meant to wear a bra or not....

My left leg is a tad shorter than my right leg, and my PT suggested I add an insert into my shoe to comensate. Well after 37 years of walking without an insert, and now walking with an insert, good grief does it hurt! All the muscles around my hips get so sore after walking. The only good thing is the wife offers to massage if it gets too much. Who would turn down a massage?

As Ed said, slow and easy. If you feel your back starting to hurt, take it easy for a few days, don't overdo it.

Brad
              Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
              Still have 57 degree curve
              2 Harrington rods
              Luque method used
              Dr David Bradford
              Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
              Preop xray (with brace on)
              Postop xray

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
                Hi Chris...

Regards,
                Linda
                Yet another reason to be grateful I'm flat-chested....The training-bra-like contraption I wear weighs less than a feather.....

Ed -- definitely the sneakers. Like Linda said .... crazy.
                Chris

Comment

Hi Chris,

Thank you for sharing your sneaker story because it struck a chord with me. I'm sorry to hear that your new sneakers caused you pain. You and I share anniversary dates that are close -- although I have a few years and levels more than you. I, too, am disappointed when attempting to press the limit I find myself in pain for the effort. Dr. Rand keeps telling me to remember "quality of life" and to slow down from testing the limits. I wonder about if this is as good as it gets, will the stiffness EVER totally go away, what will trip me up when I least expect it or what the next 30 years will be like. Patience has never been one of my virtues.

Last week there was enough rain to create puddles. While doing errands with my husband, I noticed that my left foot felt wet. I asked him to check the bottom of my sneaker (one of those annoying little things I cannot do for myself) and he noted that I had walked off some of the rubber in the heel area. They are the sneakers I purchased just before my surgery and have worn just about every day for almost two years. Desperate for Spring in New England I decided to try flip flops for a few days and leave the leaky sneakers at home. Not one of the best choices I could have made. The difference between the leaky sneakers and flip flops is enough to have me walking like Lurch again! I plan to search on line and hope to find an exact replacement for my sad Keds.

Despite the annoying little things that crop up from time to time, I still agree with Forum members who have stated that their worst day now doesn't come close to their best day prior to surgery. I have no regrets. I hope you feel the same way and that you feel better soon. In the meantime, donate those pain enducing sneakers to someone without scoliosis who might enjoy them and look for an exact replacement like me.

Take care,
                  Linda W.
                  Linda
                  Two-stage A/P fusion T6-S1 with lumbar implants June 12 & June 27, 2007 at age 57
                  S curve 75+ degrees with kyphosis
                  Now 45 degrees and standing 3 inches taller!
                  Dr. Frank Rand, New England Baptist Hospital, Boston

Comment

I'm another who's having big trouble wearing a bra. It irritates something awful, and hurts after a few hours. Off it comes as I walk through the door!

A question for those who had surgery years ago...do you ever get used to wearing a bra again?
                    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Brad, You might cut back a litttle and wear it "on the town" then rip it off as you come home. Cuts down on the chafe. Is this the adult thread?
                      Ed

My x-rays

Comment

Laughter is good for the soul and the abs. Thanks Brad and Ed. What size are you wearing Brad. Maybe you need a bigger size.
                        Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                        Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                        Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                        Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                        New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                        Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Well its not the cup size, that seems to be fine, but maybe I shouldn't be using it as a jock strap??

Brad
                          Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
                          Still have 57 degree curve
                          2 Harrington rods
                          Luque method used
                          Dr David Bradford
                          Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
                          Preop xray (with brace on)
                          Postop xray

Comment

Being in the metal working industry, I find this design interesting........

Ive actually designed and made made non-linear springs for the Air Force years ago for the F111 program at Mc Clellan AFB. Mine looked just like this bra, only without the..... you know.....laser caps.
                            Ed

My x-rays

Comment

Ouch!

Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                              Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                              T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                              Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                              Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
                              X