Surgery Tue the 12th and frazzeled!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surgery Tue the 12th and frazzeled!

Hi all!! I've been so busy here at work and home that I haven't had a chance to post. I think on the surgery calender I'm scheduled for May 5th but my doc postponed it until May 12th. I know each and everyday I'm getting more and more nervous and frazzeled.Seems my mind and I body is going in 20 differant directions at the same time. Do you think I need to contact my local doc and get something to calm me down. I can't think, type or do anything without getting totally distracted. I also have a few questions I hope someone can help me with.

1. I have a spine kit, walker and raised toilet seat at home. Will I need anythng else,beside medication, to get through the rough times after surgery?

2. I live about 2 1/2 hours drive from the hospital. What can I do to make this ride more comfortable when I'm released from the mental ward..I mean hospital!!!?

3. Will I be able to go up and down stairs. I have 4 steps into my home so just wondering.

4. How long after surgery can I expect to start functioning on my own? Like going to the bathroom, cooking, showering and so forth?

Thanks in advance for any info,

Kat
    Kat

54 yrs. young
    T-33 degree curve
    L-53 degree curve
    Surgery (sacrum-T 10) with Dr. Bridwell in St. Louis Mo.
    on May 12 th 2009 and on the mend!!

We lived about the same distance from hospital when my daughter had surgery. Stay on top of the pain medication....pillows for the ride. They suggested getting out if needed on the way home. We didn't.

We had one big step into house...she did this without problems. I was panicking about everything and she did fine. Hopefully you have side rail or something.

They sent us home with a walker...useless really in the area we live but made me feel better and good for something to lean on. She used it two days at the most.

Showering took her awhile to accomplish alone. If I had to do it again...seat would be nice then I wouldn't feel so rushed and she might get more privacy.

If you need to cook - cook ahead or convenience meals.

Good luck with your surgery hope the nerves calm down - our girl had the hiccups!

Comment

Hi Kat

Welcome.

1) I would recommend a foam topper for your bed. 2-3 inches thick. It makes a BIG difference.

2) Pillows. I like soft down and lots of them for the car and bed.

3) I had no problem with stairs at all, up or down.

4) Recovery and functionality is dependent on age, attitude, complications. Everyone is different, I had no problems with the bathroom, shower, or cooking. You will not be able to drive a car on opiates. Someone will have to drive you places and get food etc.

If you need any specialty hardware, wait until a determination is made at the hospital. They will bill these items to your insurance. They should give you a grabber, walker, and a sock installer etc.

How old are you and what levels are they fusing? Posterior only? or will they go in from the front or side? What are your cobbs or curves right now?

Try not to get too freaky, try to think of this as a new beginning, and after, a pain free life.

Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Kat, we are all different and it depends on all those questions Ed asked, I guess. I showered and washed my own hair and dressed myself on day 2. It was slow and laborious but got a little better every day.

I didn't have any aids, but still can't put socks on unless I use two pairs of kitchen tongs. Friends want photos.

Four steps you should manage ok. Just take it slowly and hold on to something.

I was on anti-anxiety meds from six months out. I was a mess but the medication helped tremendously. I started weaning off it from day 1 post surgery and haven't needed it since. It was just to get me to the hospital.

Not long now and you'll be on the *other* side. The waiting is the worst.

All the very best!
        Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
        Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
        T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
        Osteotomies and Laminectomies
        Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Hang in there, Kat!

I know I'm more anxious than my dd is right now for her surgery.

Can you tell me what a spine kit is?

Comment

You might also do a search... there have been many many many helpful threads on this subject. I would really suggest getting a shower chair. I found mine to be something I really needed for awhile. I think I didn't put it away until about month 5, actually. I had a hand-held shower wand that I used while I sat there. I just didn't have very much strength at all for awhile. My husband made those purchases after we got me home, but there were other things that insurance covered in the hospital-- the raised toilet seat, sock aid, reacher, etc. You will need to put things at levels where you can reach them-- you won't be able to access stuff in lower cupboards, etc. Ed-- when you talk of cooking, was it more like heating up stuff? My hubby did the cooking for quite awhile. I wasn't able to lift pots and pans and things like that for awhile... just no strength.

I had about a 2 hour drive home from the hospital and my surgeon told us I needed to get out and walk around about half-way home, to prevent the possibility of blood clots. I used pillows on the ride. Even so, you will probably feel every bump in the road, but you will be ok.

They made sure I could walk up and down stairs ok before I left the hospital. I assume they do that with everyone at all hospitals, but I sure could be wrong. I know lots of people have walkers, but they didn't want me to have one. I was ok (but slow!) on my own. I did get a cane, but that was mostly to help me on the stairs.

If you have any questions, please ask! You'll get through this ok. Just think, you're almost to the recovery part! Yay!
            Last edited by Susie*Bee; 05-07-2009, 07:43 PM.
            71 and plugging along... but having some problems
            2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
            5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
            Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
            CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
            10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Based on my one daughter...

Originally posted by Fit Kit View Post

1. I have a spine kit, walker and raised toilet seat at home. Will I need anything else,beside medication, to get through the rough times after surgery?
              Pillows for sitting and laying down comfortably. All manner of pillows, strategically placed and moved, sometimes mere millimeters, sometimes for several minutes, until it is just right.

2. I live about 2 1/2 hours drive from the hospital. What can I do to make this ride more comfortable when I'm released from the mental ward..I mean hospital!!!?
              My kid didn't have any problem with this. Top off your meds first, though.

3. Will I be able to go up and down stairs. I have 4 steps into my home so just wondering.
              I doubt you will be released without being able to go up and down a flight of stairs.

4. How long after surgery can I expect to start functioning on my own? Like going to the bathroom, cooking, showering and so forth?
              Don't know the answer for adults. It's completely different for kids.

Good luck.
              Sharon, mother of identical twin girls with scoliosis

No island of sanity.

Question: What do you call alternative medicine that works?
              Answer: Medicine

"We are all African."

Comment

I'm a little over 3 weeks post op, since my bedroom is on the second floor the therapist had me walking up/down a flight of stairs before discharge. The only equipment I really have used is the grabber. Just remember to walk several times a day. I missed about four days and I am very stiff, I really regret it. My Dr. released me to drive at my 2wk post-op, but I am taking just tylenol at times. I over did it my second day out and have a lot of muscle pain in my shoulder and side. The side the the curve went in. It has been hard to get over that pain. What bothers me the most is the numbness and I am very weak. I start aquatic therapy next Tuesday.

I can cook, as long as I don't lift more than 10lbs. I have wonderful coworkers who brought us dinners for two wks.

Good luck! You will not regret it. I am so amazed at the difference in my appearance, my body is completely different. I never realized how much pain I had been living with; this is a piece of cake.
                ~Em

Diagnosed at 13, Milw brace-didn't wear it like I should have.
                pre-surg 78* Thoracic,
                post-surg 22* Thoracic.
                Fusion from T2 to L2 scheduled for April 15, 09 in Tulsa, OK

Comment

Hi Kat,
                  You have gotten very good advice. I can't add anything new. I just want to say that I will be thinking of you on the 12th and praying that all goes well for you. Will look forward to hearing from you during your recovery. Sally
                  Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                  Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                  Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                  Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                  New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                  Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

I guess I need to come op with a tag. I'm 53 yrs. young with a 53 degree lumber, a 33 degree thororic and I'm getting a posterior fusion from sacrum to T-10. I thought I was really nervous on the last post but the closer I get, the more my stomache rolls. Hope I don't puke on the way to the hospital!! A spine kit is a grabber, sock and shoe tools, back washer and a butt wiper. I don't think that's what it's called but you get the picture!!

Thanks to all for the replies. I'll be sure to take lots of pillows and let my hubby cook for as long as he'll do it.
                    Kat
                    Kat

54 yrs. young
                    T-33 degree curve
                    L-53 degree curve
                    Surgery (sacrum-T 10) with Dr. Bridwell in St. Louis Mo.
                    on May 12 th 2009 and on the mend!!

Comment

Working...
                    X