Toes!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toes!

At 8 weeks post op I am able to touch my toes without bending my knee! I accidentally figured it out but it feels good to know flexibility does return! (Prior to surgery I could lay my hands flat on the ground without bending my knees).
    Don't worry, I'm not trying to overdo or rush things, I'm just excited!
    Age 25 at time of correction
    Sergery March 6th, 2009
    T4 to L4

Originally posted by chello_ns View Post
    At 8 weeks post op I am able to touch my toes without bending my knee! I accidentally figured it out but it feels good to know flexibility does return! (Prior to surgery I could lay my hands flat on the ground without bending my knees).
    Don't worry, I'm not trying to overdo or rush things, I'm just excited!
    Good for you! I don't think I could touch my toes before surgery so now afterwards, I haven't even tried.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

I would suggest that you ask your doctor before trying it again. Most surgeons seem to tell their long fusion patients that there is NO bending, lifting > 5 lbs, or twisting for at least 3-6 months.

--Linda
      Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
      ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
      Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Originally posted by LindaRacine View Post
        I would suggest that you ask your doctor before trying it again. Most surgeons seem to tell their long fusion patients that there is NO bending, lifting > 5 lbs, or twisting for at least 3-6 months.

--Linda
        Thanks for your concern however, like I said, I accidentally figured it out (aka: DIDN'T try on purpose) and I'm not trying to overdo or rush things. I was simply excited that it could be done and flexibility does return.
        Age 25 at time of correction
        Sergery March 6th, 2009
        T4 to L4

Comment

Wow . that is encouraging. My daughter will have the same fusion. She is due to be operated on in Dec. That is one of my concerns is her reduced mobility. How have you been otherwise? You sound cheery!
          Mother to 14 year old daughter, Gabrielle (Gabby).
          Discovered her scoliosis on her 14th Birthday in February 2009. Due to be operated on for curves of 57 and 54 degrees (S Curve) in December 2009 with Dr. Askin in Brisbane.

Comment

Accidents do happen....I caught myself twisting and bending when/where I wasnt supposed to...caught myself mid-act & would say" Oh Lynn!!!!" Thats what happens w/no brace I guess....well, good for you....encouraging news...I like Debbe, couldnt do that before surgery and wouldnt dare try at this point...to chicken. Im just now starting to not feel "bad" about bending at the waist in general, which Im now cleared to do. Just becareful......glad your doing so well!

take care....
            Lynn -30.... something
            DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
            At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
            At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
            Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
            UW Madison, WI Hospital
            **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

Working...
            X