Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just an update!

Hey folks,

Haven't checked in lately, been too tired. You all know how that can be. Things are moving along. Have had a few bumps in the road but all seems to be settling down now. I had my post op yesterday and it went well. My doc made some med changes which have seemed to help. I have a high tollerance that while in the hospital no one wanted to listen to so once I was sent home things weren't going so well but Dr. Fox got me squared away:O)

I am also having A LOT of trouble with my brace. It causes me sooooo much pain. From the night that I was fitted for the brace and 2 days later when they brought it in I had lost a lot of fluid/weight that it was to big. They took it bake to their shop and added some padding but even since I have gotten home it seems to be even bigger. I have lost 25 pounds since surgery so I know that this ughly thing needs to be adjusted. I feel like a turtle in it's shell when I have it on.

For me seeing that brace for the first time was like lookig at the boston brace all over again and like a baby I cried, I couldn't help it. I know it's not forever and I will be out of it before I know it so I have really worked on changing my attitude about it.

I still can't believe that I am "on the other side now" as so many of you like to say. I was very surprised at how straight my doc got me. When I get new measurements I will post them.

Hope you are all well and hanging in there....especially those of you who had surgery at the same time as I did. Hang in there!
    Susan

Diagnosed at 10, Boston brace from 11-13 yrs old.
    50* Lumbar w/ 5 centimeter shift to the left and slight rib hump...
    Surgery Date: April 15 and April 22, 2009
    X-LIF approach for disc repair L5,L4,L3,L2
    Posterior Approach for fusions L5-T5
    Dr. Fox @ Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
    Nice and straight now!!!!!

Hi Susan...

Sorry to hear that you're having so many issues with your brace. Where is it causing pain? If it's cutting into you in spots, it can be shaved down so that is no longer an issue.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Hi, Susan,
      I'm just a couple weeks ahead of you. Sorry the brace is such a pain for you. I don't have a brace and this makes me glad I don't. I'm going along pretty well, but I've certainly found out what a roller coaster ride this recovery is. Glad to hear from you. Janet
      Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
      Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
      Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
      Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
      T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Hi Susan

I cant believe you are posting soon soon! You have come close to the record, I think that there was someone who actually posted DURING their surgery a few months ago. LOL

Watch the weight loss!!!! You know what happened to me, I lost my gall bladder. You need to start eating or problems will happen. Smoothies are great, Protein powder,blueberries,strawberries,raspberries,banana ,yogurt,almonds etc. At least you will be putting something good into your body. Your body needs the protein right now. Its adjusting to MAJOR changes and needs the fuel. I know its hard to eat, but you have to do it.

Bon Appétit !!!

Take it slow now.
        Ed
        Last edited by titaniumed; 05-06-2009, 10:41 PM.
        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Yea, It is good to hear from you!

I don't have a brace but I do have an elastic binder. It is great, just enough extra support without being in the way. I haven't had much of an appetite either, but haven't lost a whole lot of weight. Have you been walking much?

It is definitely a roller coaster! Last week I felt great, then I guess I over did it and was on my butt for several days, then I drove on Monday- just a little. I woke up around midnight in the most pain since leaving the hospital. I feel I am having to start all over. The pain is in my shoulder and down my side. I can't even lay on my back, so I've been sleeping semi upright in my recliner. And I have slept on/off all day for the past two days. Two steps forward 1-1/2 back.

I start aquatic therrapy on the 19th, I'm going to try to get in at another therapy place.

Keep up the good reports!
          ~Em

Diagnosed at 13, Milw brace-didn't wear it like I should have.
          pre-surg 78* Thoracic,
          post-surg 22* Thoracic.
          Fusion from T2 to L2 scheduled for April 15, 09 in Tulsa, OK

Comment

It is good to hear from you!

I hope your brace pain improves soon.

Take it easy and hang in there. You know this tough time won't last forever

Diagnosed at 9, Boston brace during teenage years
            56* left thoracolumbar curve, slight rib hump
            Deciding on timing for surgery

Comment

brace

Hi Linda,

I think part of the problem was I was trying to push is down on to my hip bones to much. Since I've stopped doing that it's been a little bit better. It definitely is a little to big. Loosing 25 doesn't help. I am calling my brace guy today and set up an apt. to see him and have him take a look and see what's going. Also the past 2 nights I've had terrible back spasms on my right side all through the rib cage area. I can't wait for that to settle down. Other than that I would have to say things are going fairly well being 2 weeks out....other than trying to type and spell lol! It's so hard to believe that I am finally "on the other side as everyone loves to say!" Take care and hope all is going well with you:O)
              Susan

Comment

Eating!

Ed,

I do take a protein supplement called the MAAP which is a full days supply of protein in five pills. Very expensive, but worth it during this time. I started taking it 2 months prior ro surgery and will continue to take it until I am back on my feet! I try to make sure I eat at least 3 times a day which I know isn't where I should be I just can't even force it down, I've tried! I have been eating a good amount of fruit though which helps keep things regular:O) So at least that hasn't been to much of a problem. All in all I think I am progressing well. My mom and dad are here and they said every day I look a little bit better and also move better. Ya for me!!!! Take care and hope you are feeling well. Also I have to say without my husband by my side helping me I have no idea how I would be doing. He gives me a lot of strength...along with the rest of my family of course!
                Susan

Comment

Em,

Sounds like you need to slow down a little bit! You are so lucky to be in an elastic binder. I tried talking the doc into one and that fot me no where lol. Can't blame a girl for trying! I can't wait for our pool to be opened up. My husband usually gets it opened for Memorial day. Once the water warms up I am so going in! Also, it will probably be my best play time with the baby. Him in his little floatie boat and me...hopefully floating lol! Take care of yourself and NO OVER DOING IT!
                  Susan

Comment

Mauxi,

Thanks! You are right this wont last forever. Thank God for that :O)
                    Susan

Comment

Susan,
                      The elastic binder ended up being a terrible idea, it felt good but after two wks my ability to enhale/exhale is very diminished. The binder kept my ribcage from expanding. I haven't wore it for a couple of days and am doing a little better. I drove a little too much my second time out, resulting in a very sore shoulder and side on the side that my curve went into. I wasn't able to sleep in my bed for 3 nights and only walked once a day. I am really stiff, I can't believe how important walking really is. I had my PT eval today and start aquatic therapy Tuesday...I can't wait.

Other than that things are going great.
                      ~Em

Diagnosed at 13, Milw brace-didn't wear it like I should have.
                      pre-surg 78* Thoracic,
                      post-surg 22* Thoracic.
                      Fusion from T2 to L2 scheduled for April 15, 09 in Tulsa, OK

Comment

Originally posted by emwonderfull View Post
                        Yea, It is good to hear from you!

I don't have a brace but I do have an elastic binder. It is great, just enough extra support without being in the way. I haven't had much of an appetite either, but haven't lost a whole lot of weight. Have you been walking much?

It is definitely a roller coaster! Last week I felt great, then I guess I over did it and was on my butt for several days, then I drove on Monday- just a little. I woke up around midnight in the most pain since leaving the hospital. I feel I am having to start all over. The pain is in my shoulder and down my side. I can't even lay on my back, so I've been sleeping semi upright in my recliner. And I have slept on/off all day for the past two days. Two steps forward 1-1/2 back.

I start aquatic therrapy on the 19th, I'm going to try to get in at another therapy place.

Keep up the good reports!
                        Originally posted by emwonderfull View Post
                        usan,
                        The elastic binder ended up being a terrible idea, it felt good but after two wks my ability to enhale/exhale is very diminished. The binder kept my ribcage from expanding. I haven't wore it for a couple of days and am doing a little better. I drove a little too much my second time out, resulting in a very sore shoulder and side on the side that my curve went into. I wasn't able to sleep in my bed for 3 nights and only walked once a day. I am really stiff, I can't believe how important walking really is. I had my PT eval today and start aquatic therapy Tuesday...I can't wait.

Other than that things are going great.
                        Thanks for the info Em.

This is a classic example of why it's not always a good idea to post experiences without waiting awhile to report. Been there, done that.
                        Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                        ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

By the way, Em, you're not going to believe how great the aqua therapy feels. It's one of my fondest memories EVER!

Comment

I am starting aquatic therapy soon too--which sounds really good. My big question is how do you get a bathing suit on, and off when wet seems even more interesting. I hope the place has a bed to provide a place to dress and undress. There's no way I could do this on a bench that's for sure. I guess just wear suit both ways. At least the weather is nicer. Janet
                            Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                            Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                            Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                            Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                            T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Thanks for posting & lettings us know how your doing. Things will get better! Sorry to hear about your brace & all of the issues attached to it. Hang in there!

Take care!

Lynn
                              Lynn -30.... something
                              DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
                              At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
                              At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
                              Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
                              UW Madison, WI Hospital
                              **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

Working...
                              X