So tired!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So tired!!

I had my surgery on March 16th this year. I have been very fortunate with the success of my surgery, thus far.

However, for the past several days, I have had problems sleeping (which was NEVER a problem pre-surgery).

I got off of my Fentanyl Patch last Wednesday. Currently, I am taking a muscle relaxer before bed, 10 MG Hydrocodone 3 times per day, and 10 MG Cyclobenzaprine 3 times for day. I am working PT from home this week and return to work PT next week. I am really frustrated with this set-back as I will not be able to return to work if I am not able to get some rest.

There are many people in this forum that are extremely knowledgeable with medicine and I am looking for your input. Also wanting to know if anyone else has this problem?

I have an appointment with my surgeon tomorrow so I am hoping for some great advice there as well. When I called the office and spoke with the nurse today, she asked if I'd consider taking a sleeping pill. I am concerned that a sleeping pill will make me groggy the next day. And, I've heard those can be very addicting. Help??!!

Rachel

Hi Rachel...

I think it's pretty common to having sleep issues after stopping narcotics. Hopefully, it won't last very long.

I would not be afraid to take a sleeping pill. I've tried both Lunesta and Ambien, and didn't feel any real grogginess the morning after. If nothing else, I would encourage you to try a pill so that you can catch up on the sleep you've already lost.

Good luck!

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

nervous-
      I had some MAJOR sleep issues for quite a while. For about 3 weeks I slept VERY little, sometimes not sleeping at all, usually sleeping 1 to 2 hours a night of fitful sleep. My surgeon did say I NEEDED to try a sleep aid. I was put on Ambien CR, and for about a week I was pretty groggy during the day, but I think it was because I hadn't really slept in so long my body just kept wanting to sleep. Now I take half of one most nights and that seems to work pretty well, I can sleep without them, and made sure not to take them everynight (though that made sleep really bad for those nights), I don't feel like I am addicted to them, as I can not take them and it doesnt really create problems except that I don't sleep as deeply.
      I was also having some really bad pain issues before I started taking them (and still probably have more than I should), so that seemed to be the problem that kept me up everynight.
      25 years old
      double 70+ degree curves before surgery
      Anterior on 11/11/08
      Posterior on 12/2/08 with titanium rods
      nearly perfect correction
      fused t-10 to pelvis
      with a hemi-vertebral osteotomy at L4

Broke right rod at L4-L5 on 06/26/09
      Broke left rod on 10/24/09
      Revision surgery on 11/5/09 with vitallium rods
      Broke both rods again

Had posterior than anterior revisions on 03/11 at the Twin Cities Spine Center
      Declared "FUSED" on 12/6/11

Comment

Originally posted by nervous View Post
        I had my surgery on March 16th this year. I have been very fortunate with the success of my surgery, thus far.

I have an appointment with my surgeon tomorrow so I am hoping for some great advice there as well. When I called the office and spoke with the nurse today, she asked if I'd consider taking a sleeping pill. I am concerned that a sleeping pill will make me groggy the next day. And, I've heard those can be very addicting. Help??!!

Rachel
        Rachel....no sleep stinks...I know it. Not only did I have issues falling asleep, but once I did (by the way, it took me a few hrs to fall asleep most nights) I would be woken up w/ my lower but/hip pain. I tried Ambein, Ambein CR & Lunesta....all of which did absolutly nothing. I was amazed that nothing was working for me and the more days that went on w/o sleep, the more angry & crabby, for obvious reasons, I got. Lack of sleep can effect so many different aspects of your life.....I hope they can find something to help you. By the way, I still am not able to sleep in bed w/my husband. I tried Monday night and had a horrible night, which lead to a horrible Tuesday. The couch is my new bed, which is pretty sad.

Good luck-keep us posted!
        Lynn -30.... something
        DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
        At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
        At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
        Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
        UW Madison, WI Hospital
        **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

Thanks all! It sounds like this is very common! I appreciate the insight/input!

Happy sleeping.
          Rachel

Comment

You could try a sleeping pill that is short acting, like, Temazapan. This is quick to be used by your body thus reducing the hang over effect.
            45L/40T
            Surgery 25/1/2010
            Australia

Knowthyself

Scoliosis Corrected 25/1/2010 by Dr Angus Gray, Prince of Wales Private Hospital, Sydney. Fused T3-L4.

Comment

Thanks Jimbo! I will have to try it!

Without Ambien at night, my body/mind is VERY tired, but I still can't fall to sleep. It's SO frustrating!! My surgeon told me that since I got off the patch over a week ago that it "should not be" a side effect to that.

It's frustrating!

Comment

Working...
              X