Dizziness 9 weeks out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dizziness 9 weeks out

I have been suffering withdrawals for over three weeks. The worst symptom is dizziness. It was almost gone when yesterday I got out of bed and hit the wall with my face and chest. I lost a second because I don't remember the falling, just the hitting. I fell back into bed and lay there, dizzy and unable to even sit, for about 7 hours. It was quite scary.

Alan went down to the pharmacy and asked the pharmacist and he said he felt it was still the withdrawals, despite being almost symptom free for a few days. Why would it suddenly come back like that and why so severe?

The other thing I'm wondering about is stretching. You know, the involuntary stretching one does when one wakes up? I haven't stretched since pre-op, I guess the meds stifle the urge? Then yesterday, just before the bad dizziness hit me again, I'd stretched - a big one. Completely involuntarily.

Then last night, I woke up twice, and both times I woke up stretching, and again was hit with a bout of dizziness. Does this indicate something's not quite right?

I am starting to be quite concerned.

Jen
    Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
    Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
    T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
    Osteotomies and Laminectomies
    Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

What meds are you withdrawing from? And how long exactly since your last doses? Were you taking any of the nerve meds because I think those withdrawls can cause different symptoms than from the oxy's.

You should talk to your doctor's office about your symptoms. Good luck Jennifer, I know it's not fun.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

I think your surgeon or your general physican should check you out, especially your blood pressure. I had a couple of dizzy bouts but nothing like you are describing. I did discover in the beginning that I had to get out of bed very slowly and gradually in the mornings to avoid feeling woozy.
      Chris
      A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
      Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
      Post-op curve: 12 degrees
      Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Jen

Ive had so many people say to me through the years, "Go to a Doctor"

Jen

Go to a Doctor.
        Ed
        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Oh dear, I am so worried. I emailed my surgeon yesterday but it was a public holiday yesterday and today is his surgery day so it may be a few days before I get an answer.

I woke up dizzy again this morning, not as bad as Sunday but worse than yesterday. Again, I woke up stretching and felt the dizziness immediately.

Deb, the only meds I'm taking are 5mg Oxycontin, have been on that level for a few weeks. Which is why I don't think it's withdrawals. I am very worried about what it might be. My GP is away at present so I am playing the waiting game.

Chris, I did see my GP a couple of weeks ago and my blood pressure was fine.

Thanks to all who replied.

Comment

Jennifer.....Im so sorry to hear of all the trouble you are having w/this medicine. I agree...it does almost sound like a blood pressure issue or/and withdrawl? I sure hope your doc's office gets back w/u ASAP. There's got to be an after hours number they gave you after leaving the hospital, yes? Id say this is an emergency if you ask me.

Best of luck and please be careful!!

Lynn
            Lynn -30.... something
            DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
            At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
            At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
            Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
            UW Madison, WI Hospital
            **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

Originally posted by LynnMarie74 View Post
              Jennifer.....Im so sorry to hear of all the trouble you are having w/this medicine. I agree...it does almost sound like a blood pressure issue or/and withdrawl? I sure hope your doc's office gets back w/u ASAP. There's got to be an after hours number they gave you after leaving the hospital, yes? Id say this is an emergency if you ask me.

Best of luck and please be careful!!

Lynn
              I agree with Lynn--can't you go to the emergency room for this? Feel better Jen.

Comment

Oh Jen, I'm so bummed for you that you're having these problems still!! And that they seem to be getting worse, not better.

As far as I know, even on surgical days, Dr. Askin does return to his rooms to get messages & return urgent ones....So hopefully, you will still get an answer today. If he hasn't answered by late this afternoon (but before end of office hours), it might be worth calling his rooms to make sure he's gotten the message, or get a rough estimate on when you're likely to hear back.

Short of that, there's no harm in heading up to your hospital A&E. They may have some fresh ideas, or at least find a doc with enough clout to contact Dr. A. directly.

I'm worried right along side you :-\ Anxious to hear the response you get.

Please take care.

BTW. You might as well check with Dr. A. when you're talking to him, but stretching should be fine. It's only the muscles that move / stretch. If you were actually stretching or bending your spine, you'd be in an incredible amount of pain. Notice that your spine (as far as you're fused) won't actually arch. Enjoy those stretches :-)

Comment

Jen

I've had the dizzies, and I've had vertigo. Vertigo is especially scary since the whole room rocks back and forth. 16 years ago, I had the vertigo attacks, and went and saw a Doctor. She looked in my ears for a while, left the room and came back 30 minutes later and she told me I had an inner ear virus. She mentioned that most people have these attacks once in their lifetimes, and then cease. I went home, took a pill, slept 20 hours straight, and that was it. No more attacks since.

I had the dizzies also about 2 months post scoli surgery. Not vertigo, but dizziness upon awakening and also upon laying down. It was something that I would just lay down and go to sleep on. I would just lay low and sleep it through. Eventually they dissipated after about 2 weeks. I have no idea why this stuff was happening at all.

Inner ear or virus? I just don't know.

I know its scary. I found sleeping through it was the easiest way to deal with it.

It will pass soon. Your body is going through major changes right now.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/003093.htm
                  Ed

My x-rays

Comment

Jen, you said you are on 5mg of oxycontin but what meds did you discontinue? There is something called PAWS, which is post acute withdrawal syndrome, which you can get several months after you have discontinued your meds and can have for a while. If you were on meds for a significant amount of time it's quite possible this might be what you are dealing with but I kind of doubt it. As far as treatment for it, mostly they say time, but that's because addicts are the ones that most often have paws or at least the literature concerns itself with addicts and paws, not chronic pain folks who have been on meds for a fair amount of time. Hopefully you have found an answer to this and are beginning to feel much better without the dizziness. To me, there is nothing worse than being dizzy and with it the accompanying nausea.
                    good luck.
                    avis
                    1987 Lumbar Laminectomy (forget which levels)
                    2005 A/P fusion, L2 - L5, 2/2005
                    2009 2 Posterior fusions, T6 - Pelvis, 2/10 & 2/18,
                    Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

Hang in there, Jen. I'm afraid I have no useful info at all. However, if possible Ed's idea of sleeping through the spell makes some sense if you can tolerate it. I do hope you get an answer and relief soon. Janet
                      Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
                      Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
                      Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
                      Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
                      T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

Thanks to all who replied. Perhaps it's just what Ed went through, and it will pass, in time.

Avis, I have been on Oxycontin for 9 weeks, but have been on 5 mg x 2 a day now for four weeks, having dropped down initially from 40 mg x 2 a day. Initially the drop was from 40 to 20 without a hint of problem. The problems I've been having are since I've gone from 20mg to 5mg.

I am still slightly dizzy today, but not quite as bad. But it seems to go up and down. I know I should go to the hospital or see another dr. but my heart isn't in it at the moment. I can't face hospital again. I prefer to just stay home and sleep as much as possible. It isn't my ears because my GP checked them weeks ago when the dizziness started. I'm hoping it's not my carotid artery, because that's where the central line went, isn't it?

Anyway, I appreciate everyone taking the time to offer advice. This forum really is the best.

Jen

Comment

Originally posted by JenniferG View Post
                          Thanks to all who replied. Perhaps it's just what Ed went through, and it will pass, in time.

Avis, I have been on Oxycontin for 9 weeks, but have been on 5 mg x 2 a day now for four weeks, having dropped down initially from 40 mg x 2 a day. Initially the drop was from 40 to 20 without a hint of problem. The problems I've been having are since I've gone from 20mg to 5mg.

I am still slightly dizzy today, but not quite as bad. But it seems to go up and down. I know I should go to the hospital or see another dr. but my heart isn't in it at the moment. I can't face hospital again. I prefer to just stay home and sleep as much as possible. It isn't my ears because my GP checked them weeks ago when the dizziness started. I'm hoping it's not my carotid artery, because that's where the central line went, isn't it?

Anyway, I appreciate everyone taking the time to offer advice. This forum really is the best.

Jen
                          Jen,

dropping from 20 to 5 mg is quite a drop, and I still wouldn't be surprised if these are withdrawl symptoms. I wish I could march over there and drag you to the hospital myself!!

Comment

Hi Debbei. I went from 20 mg to 5 mg in stages over two weeks, previously I'd gone for 40 to 20 without a hitch. But I guess I'd had more time to get dependent.

Anyway, I just popped in to let you know I'm having a much better day today. So maybe my wish is coming true, that it's the same as whatever Ed had...and it's passing. I went to the shops and had my woolly mane cut, now I'm off to bed for a Nanna nap.

I'm hoping that's light I can see at the end of the tunnel!

Comment

honky tonk beat

Jen

Most of the time the body will heal itself. That's a statement I like to use even if I'm not the greatest example. LOL My gall stones were 2.5cm dia which is 1 inch round. Doing a so called "liver flush" with eating apples and that regiment, its doubtful that my stones would have reduced in size.

1 inch round is almost golf ball size! It might be acceptable if I were a golf ball salesman. LOL When I went skiing, I thought I was hearing maracas! I could have been a member of the "rolling stones!" I just kept hearing that drum beat from "honky tonk woman" all the time, must have been the gall stones hitting each other. Just listen to the first 10 seconds, you will know what I mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP5c2...eature=related

I keep saying "take it slow", and after these surgeries or any major surgery it only makes sense. Just think what your body has to go through. Its like hitting a computer with a sledge hammer and expecting it to boot up! All your systems are altered, and then we slam it with drugs, and then expect miracles. Its truly amazing!

Now the dizzies sound like a horror movie soundtrack, or Frank Zappa played in reverse. I will see if I can find that for you.
                              Ohhh Noooo....
                              Ed

My x-rays

Comment

Working...
                              X