PDA

View Full Version : Dizziness 9 weeks out

JenniferG
05-03-2009, 09:54 PM
I have been suffering withdrawals for over three weeks. The worst symptom is dizziness. It was almost gone when yesterday I got out of bed and hit the wall with my face and chest. I lost a second because I don't remember the falling, just the hitting. I fell back into bed and lay there, dizzy and unable to even sit, for about 7 hours. It was quite scary.

Alan went down to the pharmacy and asked the pharmacist and he said he felt it was still the withdrawals, despite being almost symptom free for a few days. Why would it suddenly come back like that and why so severe?

The other thing I'm wondering about is stretching. You know, the involuntary stretching one does when one wakes up? I haven't stretched since pre-op, I guess the meds stifle the urge? Then yesterday, just before the bad dizziness hit me again, I'd stretched - a big one. Completely involuntarily.

Then last night, I woke up twice, and both times I woke up stretching, and again was hit with a bout of dizziness. Does this indicate something's not quite right?

I am starting to be quite concerned.:(

Jen

debbei
05-04-2009, 06:33 AM
What meds are you withdrawing from? And how long exactly since your last doses? Were you taking any of the nerve meds because I think those withdrawls can cause different symptoms than from the oxy's.

You should talk to your doctor's office about your symptoms. Good luck Jennifer, I know it's not fun.

Singer
05-04-2009, 06:37 AM
I think your surgeon or your general physican should check you out, especially your blood pressure. I had a couple of dizzy bouts but nothing like you are describing. I did discover in the beginning that I had to get out of bed very slowly and gradually in the mornings to avoid feeling woozy.

titaniumed
05-04-2009, 09:50 AM
Jen

Ive had so many people say to me through the years, "Go to a Doctor"

Jen

Go to a Doctor.
Ed

JenniferG
05-04-2009, 05:26 PM
Oh dear, I am so worried. I emailed my surgeon yesterday but it was a public holiday yesterday and today is his surgery day so it may be a few days before I get an answer.

I woke up dizzy again this morning, not as bad as Sunday but worse than yesterday. Again, I woke up stretching and felt the dizziness immediately.

Deb, the only meds I'm taking are 5mg Oxycontin, have been on that level for a few weeks. Which is why I don't think it's withdrawals. I am very worried about what it might be. My GP is away at present so I am playing the waiting game.

Chris, I did see my GP a couple of weeks ago and my blood pressure was fine.

Thanks to all who replied.

LynnMarie74
05-04-2009, 06:33 PM
Jennifer.....Im so sorry to hear of all the trouble you are having w/this medicine. I agree...it does almost sound like a blood pressure issue or/and withdrawl? I sure hope your doc's office gets back w/u ASAP. There's got to be an after hours number they gave you after leaving the hospital, yes? Id say this is an emergency if you ask me.

Best of luck and please be careful!!

Lynn

debbei
05-04-2009, 07:04 PM
Jennifer.....Im so sorry to hear of all the trouble you are having w/this medicine. I agree...it does almost sound like a blood pressure issue or/and withdrawl? I sure hope your doc's office gets back w/u ASAP. There's got to be an after hours number they gave you after leaving the hospital, yes? Id say this is an emergency if you ask me.

Best of luck and please be careful!!

Lynn

I agree with Lynn--can't you go to the emergency room for this? Feel better Jen.

discombobulated
05-04-2009, 07:17 PM
Oh Jen, I'm so bummed for you that you're having these problems still!! And that they seem to be getting worse, not better.

As far as I know, even on surgical days, Dr. Askin does return to his rooms to get messages & return urgent ones....So hopefully, you will still get an answer today. If he hasn't answered by late this afternoon (but before end of office hours), it might be worth calling his rooms to make sure he's gotten the message, or get a rough estimate on when you're likely to hear back.

Short of that, there's no harm in heading up to your hospital A&E. They may have some fresh ideas, or at least find a doc with enough clout to contact Dr. A. directly.

I'm worried right along side you :-\ Anxious to hear the response you get.

Please take care.

BTW. You might as well check with Dr. A. when you're talking to him, but stretching should be fine. It's only the muscles that move / stretch. If you were actually stretching or bending your spine, you'd be in an incredible amount of pain. Notice that your spine (as far as you're fused) won't actually arch. Enjoy those stretches :-)

titaniumed
05-04-2009, 11:39 PM
Jen

I've had the dizzies, and I've had vertigo. Vertigo is especially scary since the whole room rocks back and forth. 16 years ago, I had the vertigo attacks, and went and saw a Doctor. She looked in my ears for a while, left the room and came back 30 minutes later and she told me I had an inner ear virus. She mentioned that most people have these attacks once in their lifetimes, and then cease. I went home, took a pill, slept 20 hours straight, and that was it. No more attacks since.

I had the dizzies also about 2 months post scoli surgery. Not vertigo, but dizziness upon awakening and also upon laying down. It was something that I would just lay down and go to sleep on. I would just lay low and sleep it through. Eventually they dissipated after about 2 weeks. I have no idea why this stuff was happening at all.

Inner ear or virus? I just don't know.

I know its scary. I found sleeping through it was the easiest way to deal with it.

It will pass soon. Your body is going through major changes right now.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003093.htm
Ed

theizzard
05-05-2009, 08:24 AM
Jen, you said you are on 5mg of oxycontin but what meds did you discontinue? There is something called PAWS, which is post acute withdrawal syndrome, which you can get several months after you have discontinued your meds and can have for a while. If you were on meds for a significant amount of time it's quite possible this might be what you are dealing with but I kind of doubt it. As far as treatment for it, mostly they say time, but that's because addicts are the ones that most often have paws or at least the literature concerns itself with addicts and paws, not chronic pain folks who have been on meds for a fair amount of time. Hopefully you have found an answer to this and are beginning to feel much better without the dizziness. To me, there is nothing worse than being dizzy and with it the accompanying nausea.
good luck.
avis

Doodles
05-05-2009, 08:27 AM
Hang in there, Jen. I'm afraid I have no useful info at all. However, if possible Ed's idea of sleeping through the spell makes some sense if you can tolerate it. I do hope you get an answer and relief soon. Janet

JenniferG
05-05-2009, 07:13 PM
Thanks to all who replied. Perhaps it's just what Ed went through, and it will pass, in time.

Avis, I have been on Oxycontin for 9 weeks, but have been on 5 mg x 2 a day now for four weeks, having dropped down initially from 40 mg x 2 a day. Initially the drop was from 40 to 20 without a hint of problem. The problems I've been having are since I've gone from 20mg to 5mg.

I am still slightly dizzy today, but not quite as bad. But it seems to go up and down. I know I should go to the hospital or see another dr. but my heart isn't in it at the moment. I can't face hospital again. I prefer to just stay home and sleep as much as possible. It isn't my ears because my GP checked them weeks ago when the dizziness started. I'm hoping it's not my carotid artery, because that's where the central line went, isn't it?

Anyway, I appreciate everyone taking the time to offer advice. This forum really is the best.

Jen

debbei
05-05-2009, 08:24 PM
Thanks to all who replied. Perhaps it's just what Ed went through, and it will pass, in time.

Avis, I have been on Oxycontin for 9 weeks, but have been on 5 mg x 2 a day now for four weeks, having dropped down initially from 40 mg x 2 a day. Initially the drop was from 40 to 20 without a hint of problem. The problems I've been having are since I've gone from 20mg to 5mg.

I am still slightly dizzy today, but not quite as bad. But it seems to go up and down. I know I should go to the hospital or see another dr. but my heart isn't in it at the moment. I can't face hospital again. I prefer to just stay home and sleep as much as possible. It isn't my ears because my GP checked them weeks ago when the dizziness started. I'm hoping it's not my carotid artery, because that's where the central line went, isn't it?

Anyway, I appreciate everyone taking the time to offer advice. This forum really is the best.

Jen

Jen,

dropping from 20 to 5 mg is quite a drop, and I still wouldn't be surprised if these are withdrawl symptoms. I wish I could march over there and drag you to the hospital myself!! :D

JenniferG
05-06-2009, 11:29 PM
Hi Debbei. I went from 20 mg to 5 mg in stages over two weeks, previously I'd gone for 40 to 20 without a hitch. But I guess I'd had more time to get dependent.

Anyway, I just popped in to let you know I'm having a much better day today. So maybe my wish is coming true, that it's the same as whatever Ed had...and it's passing. I went to the shops and had my woolly mane cut, now I'm off to bed for a Nanna nap.

I'm hoping that's light I can see at the end of the tunnel!:)

titaniumed
05-07-2009, 09:42 AM
Jen

Most of the time the body will heal itself. That's a statement I like to use even if I'm not the greatest example. LOL My gall stones were 2.5cm dia which is 1 inch round. Doing a so called "liver flush" with eating apples and that regiment, its doubtful that my stones would have reduced in size.

1 inch round is almost golf ball size! It might be acceptable if I were a golf ball salesman. LOL When I went skiing, I thought I was hearing maracas! I could have been a member of the "rolling stones!" I just kept hearing that drum beat from "honky tonk woman" all the time, must have been the gall stones hitting each other. Just listen to the first 10 seconds, you will know what I mean.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZP5c2t945p8&feature=related

I keep saying "take it slow", and after these surgeries or any major surgery it only makes sense. Just think what your body has to go through. Its like hitting a computer with a sledge hammer and expecting it to boot up! All your systems are altered, and then we slam it with drugs, and then expect miracles. Its truly amazing!

Now the dizzies sound like a horror movie soundtrack, or Frank Zappa played in reverse. I will see if I can find that for you.
Ohhh Noooo....
Ed

JenniferG
05-07-2009, 05:18 PM
Haha! You're good medicine, Ed.

It's only early, but so far so good. I'm resuming my walking again today.

How are you feeling Ed? Seriously, now!

debbei
05-07-2009, 05:50 PM
Hi Debbei. I went from 20 mg to 5 mg in stages over two weeks, previously I'd gone for 40 to 20 without a hitch. But I guess I'd had more time to get dependent.

Anyway, I just popped in to let you know I'm having a much better day today. So maybe my wish is coming true, that it's the same as whatever Ed had...and it's passing. I went to the shops and had my woolly mane cut, now I'm off to bed for a Nanna nap.

I'm hoping that's light I can see at the end of the tunnel!:)

I'm glad you're better Jen. Maybe it just was an inner ear thing. I had the dizzies a few years ago that lasted almost one week. I was set to go to the Dr. the next and they stopped. It's very unsettling.

titaniumed
05-08-2009, 10:51 AM
Jen, I'm seriously fantastic!!! LOL

I found it! Its been a while.............
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4bnxl_tommy-roe-dizzy-1969_music

Enjoy
Ed

debbei
05-08-2009, 11:00 AM
Jen, I'm seriously fantastic!!! LOL

I found it! Its been a while.............
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x4bnxl_tommy-roe-dizzy-1969_music

Enjoy
Ed

Ed,

You are seriously corny! I sat here listening with a smile on my face! :)

titaniumed
05-09-2009, 10:01 AM
Debbe

Yeah, that was a little corny. It was a corny time back then. We did corny things, said corny things, and sang corny songs, in corny clothes.

It was a period of simplicity and complexity. A turning point you might say. I think back to those days and the surgical options we had back then.

It must have been incredibly scary to have had scoli surgery back in those days. Those who experianced that journey, are our pioneering patients, and deserve quite a bit of credit. Actually more credit than the Doctors and scientists due to their sacrifice. An ultimate sacrifice.

It was your sacrifice that paved the way for what we have today. You know who you are, Thank you.
Ed

JenniferG
05-09-2009, 10:08 PM
A corny time. I remember it well. :D

I have a friend who was against me having this surgery from the start. A nurse, she only worked 3 months in orthopedics (now works in public health) and this was many years ago. She said there was a scoliosis surgery patient in the ward who was there when she started, she was still there when she left. She was in agony the entire time. She needed two nurses to be lifted onto the bed pan. She only had bed-baths. The medication didn't touch the sides. She only told me this after the surgery. She was very afraid for me, but has been happily surprised at my outcome.

I too, thank all those who went before me, helping to bring the rapid changes in surgery technique, anaesthesiology and medication, making the surgery a much more do-able operation.

asccbodypro
05-11-2009, 08:01 PM
Jen,

Hope things start to get better for you soon. Those are some scary symptoms, especially when you are by yourself. Before you get out of bed in the morning you should sit on the edge of the bed for a few minutes.....if you aren't doing this already. It might help some....just a little suggestion :O)

Good luck and I hope you get some answers soon! Hang in there and think positive!!!!

JenniferG
05-12-2009, 03:41 AM
Thanks Susan. Apart from the dizziness, I'm doing well.

I hope your recovery is proving easier every day!

titaniumed
05-12-2009, 08:43 AM
Jen

You are still dizzy?......... Has it improved at all?...... You still should see your Dr.about this.........

Ed

JenniferG
05-12-2009, 06:01 PM
No, the dizziness has improved lots. I still get very minor dizzy spells, very short lived, barely noticeable mostly. I did email the surgeon two weeks ago but haven't had a reply but I haven't followed up because I am so much better and I'm convinced it's still withdrawals. I have other withdrawal symptoms too, when my pill is due. I'm definitely dependent but I'm spacing out the pills every day, currently stretching out four hours past pill time. I'm only on 5 mg and have 6 days supply left, and I'm not getting any more. I will just suffer it out. Dr. Askin did say at my 8 week appt. that I can use Panadeine to help get through it. Panadeine has a small amount of codeine in it, which is an opoid, so will help ease the symptoms.

I'll get there. I haven't had any pain for weeks and I've had no other complications so consider myself lucky.

gabs mum
05-12-2009, 06:23 PM
I'm glad you are feeling better. Have been thinking of you!
Will catch up soon.:)

debbei
05-12-2009, 08:33 PM
No, the dizziness has improved lots. I still get very minor dizzy spells, very short lived, barely noticeable mostly. I did email the surgeon two weeks ago but haven't had a reply but I haven't followed up because I am so much better and I'm convinced it's still withdrawals. I have other withdrawal symptoms too, when my pill is due. I'm definitely dependent but I'm spacing out the pills every day, currently stretching out four hours past pill time. I'm only on 5 mg and have 6 days supply left, and I'm not getting any more. I will just suffer it out. Dr. Askin did say at my 8 week appt. that I can use Panadeine to help get through it. Panadeine has a small amount of codeine in it, which is an opoid, so will help ease the symptoms.

I'll get there. I haven't had any pain for weeks and I've had no other complications so consider myself lucky.

Jen,
try to stretch it out a little further between each dose. That will ease your suffering some when you run out. I'm happy you're doing so much better.

JenniferG
05-12-2009, 10:14 PM
Hi gabsmum, I hope things are going well for you and your daughter. Email any time.

Debbei, I'm stretching it out an extra hour each day, currently 4 hours, tomorrow it will be 5. That's 8 hours all up today, 10 tomorrow, so some days I only take the one pill, not two.

That was a good suggestion of yours, I'm sure it will help when I run out, early next week. I was to run out this week, but the stretching out of the pill times has meant I've got enough until about next Tuesday, at this stage.

I'm hoping to be back driving in a few weeks. I'm so looking forward to that...back to normality!