Low blood pressure & Crazy sleep.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Low blood pressure & Crazy sleep.

Hi all--I'm about 5 weeks out and find my biggest problem now is horrible,crazy moaning sleep that is about to drive my husband insane. I think he just needs to go to another room but he said I'm so weird he thinks I'm trying to get out of bed, will fall etc.

Also for last 2 weeks my blood pressure has been dangerously low, as the visiting nurses put it. I've always been low. They take a lying down, sitting, and then standing. The first 2 are low but the standing one I nearly pass out. It bottoms out and usually they can't even get a reading. When they can the bottom number on that one has been 48 several times. Today was better had a 80 over 60. They sent me to GP a week ago who was ready to put me in for more blood--had about 8 units in hospital--cuz I was gray--but then hemoglobin was much higher than she thought.

I had been on Metropolol for strange erratic heart rhythms a couple years ago. They sent me to cardiologist and he took me off that saying it was safe although I might have some of those weird feelings again, but needed to get this down. Mostly been told to drink more coffee and use more salt. It actually has helped some but seems kind of weird remedy.

My PT is totally stumped by this and is trying to figure it out after doing this for many years. She thinks it could be more neurological with area around heart where my biggest curve was is totally reshaped. She said think of the nerve ending on far side of curve being stretched like crazy for about 50 years and on convex side nerves just sort of "there". Now to go to a totally new configuration it has to play havoc with tons of stuff.

So the sleep is not good--trying to back off a bit on Oxycotin and then the low blood pressure. So I'm totally exhausted from any thing. I know I'm not getting near enough walking in. I suppose this is just another part of recovery but it's a bummer. Janet
    Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
    Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
    Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
    Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
    T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Hi Janet,
    Sorry to hear you are having so much trouble with blood pressure and sleeping. You say you haven't done near enough walking. Is that because you are so tired from not sleeping well? Maybe if you could get a little more walking in, even if you have to force yourself, it would help your blood pressure and your sleep. It could be a vicious cycle your body is in. Only guessing though. I hope things get better for you soon.
    Sally
    Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
    Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
    Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
    Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
    New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
    Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

You are not alone. I had very low blood pressure in hospital. I don't know what it is now, but am not getting the symptoms any more so perhaps it's ok now. My lowest reading I remember was 87/47. They didn't seem bothered though.

I have never heard of the coffee and salt fix, but notice I have been craving salt more than usual since surgery, and I'm giving in to it.

I hope it's just a matter of time to fix this problem, Janet.
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
      X