Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jo 71-09 Surgery update

Hi everyone,
    My name is David. Jo 71-09's husband. I am posting to the forum to update everyone about Jo's surgery which took place on the 28th of April. Her surgery took 10 plus hours and thankfully it appears there will only be one surgery. Jo is recovering at New England Baptist Hospital in Boston. She is experiencing considerable pain which we expected and unfortunately she is also experiencing some recurring nausea. She did stand and walk a couple times today, this has improved her state of mind significantly. The goal is for release on Sunday May 3rd.
    Dr Rand fused from the sacrum to T9, I hope I am saying that correctly, this is as he expected. He did say he was able to achieve excellent results in regard to her alignment, better than he expected. Recovery is slow in starting but it is underway.
    I do want to apoligize for not getting this onto the forum sooner but to be honest, I have been struggling with keeping focused myself. Joanne is doing as well as can be expected at this point. She is a tough kid and I admire her courage. If anyone would like to send well wishes to Joanne, you can do so through the NEBH website to Joanne Bergeron.
    I do want to thank all of you who have helped Joanne through this forum in any way. She gained a tremendous amount of knowledge and help through your experiences and your willingness to share them. Thank you!!
    Sincerely,
    David
    -Jo

Diagnosed at age 12
    Milwalkee Brace worn Faithfully 1971-1977
    Posterior Fusion T-9 to Pelvis- April 28, 2009
    Dr Frank Rand, NEBH, Boston

Hi David

Thx for posting. If YOU have any questions about things, definitely post here or PM me.

She needs your full attention right now
    Ed
    49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
    Pre surgery curves T70,L70
    ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
    Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
    http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Hi David,
      Thank you so much for posting for Jo. In many ways, these past couple of days, you have had the harder part. It is very difficult to stand around and wait while your loved one is having a serious surgery. We applaud you for hanging in there for Jo. You both are very courageous and I am praying for you.
      Sally
      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Thanks for the post David & so glad everything went well. 10 hrs is a long time, but thank goodness she only needs the one....so its done & over! Stay strong...she needs you!

Take care

Lynn
        Lynn -30.... something
        DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
        At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
        At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
        Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
        UW Madison, WI Hospital
        **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

Hi David,

Thank you for updating us on Joanne's status. I'm delighted to hear that Dr. Rand was able to achieve such a good outcome for her. Wishing you all peace of mind and some quality rest in the days to come.

Linda
          Linda
          Two-stage A/P fusion T6-S1 with lumbar implants June 12 & June 27, 2007 at age 57
          S curve 75+ degrees with kyphosis
          Now 45 degrees and standing 3 inches taller!
          Dr. Frank Rand, New England Baptist Hospital, Boston

Comment

I've just joined this discussion, but it's good to know she's been in good hands.

Best wishes for her speedy recovery. You're a sweet man for coming here to post.
            Living life after a Milwaukee...
            And still crooked as a jail bird...

Comment

Thanks for the update David. I hope her recovery goes smoothly. It may not seem like it now, but she will be feeling better before you know it!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
              Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
              Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
              Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
              Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Glad to hear she is doing well and will only need this one surgery instead of the planned two surgeries. It's amazing that until they get inside the person they can't really know exactly what they will be doing. Stay strong for her as she will need you and give her my best.
                Avis
                1987 Lumbar Laminectomy (forget which levels)
                2005 A/P fusion, L2 - L5, 2/2005
                2009 2 Posterior fusions, T6 - Pelvis, 2/10 & 2/18,
                Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

Thanks David. All the very best to you both, as you negotiate your way through these early days. It won't be long before she's feeling better every day and your optimism and hope for the future can truly blossom.
                  Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                  Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                  T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                  Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                  Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Update

Hi everyone, I just wanted to send a quick update on Jo's progress. She is slowly progressing, very slowly. Yesterday she did the stairs which amazes me that less than a week out she is willing to even try it. She is still having considerable pain at times. Jo ate solid food for the first time last night, chicken noodle soup, grilled cheese, and some green beans. She didn't eat allot but she did say it felt good to have food in her stomach, which is still distended but improving as well. I actually got to sit and eat with her which we both needed. One thing I can say about New England Baptist is that the views are quite nice so our view of the city added a nice backdrop for our romantic grilled cheese and chicken noodle soup dinner. We originally had today as the goal for her release but it's not time yet so we're looking at tomorrow, that remains to be seen as well though.
                    Just to clarify because I am not sure that I said it correctly, her fusion is from S1 to T9 and Dr Rand anchored to her pelvis. Hopefully the next update will come from Joanne. I did print all of your comments from the initial message and brought them in for her to read and she has received a few emails from some of you in the hospital, thank you all for supporting Jo through this, it really means allot to her.
                    David
                    -Jo

Diagnosed at age 12
                    Milwalkee Brace worn Faithfully 1971-1977
                    Posterior Fusion T-9 to Pelvis- April 28, 2009
                    Dr Frank Rand, NEBH, Boston

Comment

Thanks again David. It sounds like things are progressing nicely. There is no rush to leave the hospital. Maybe you will have fillet Mignon for dinner tonight. Take care, Sally
                      Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
                      Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
                      Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
                      Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
                      New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
                      Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Working...
                      X