3 yrs post op...almost!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 yrs post op...almost!!!

Hi, I just wanted to check in & say I feel great after almost 3 yrs. I realized recently that I bend & move (finally) like I did in the old days before surgery. It took me over 2 yrs to really completely 'heal' physically and emotionally!!!
    I still occasionally get the grabber out when I feel it's a to hard to bend situation. I try to be careful but it is gardening season here & I cannot resist to bend & plant!!!!
    All my best to all soon to have this surgery---Lynne

95 curve reduced to 60 ant/post--Dr. Boachie/Kim
    @HSS in NYC in Aug. 2006

Congratulations nearly three years, to me that time has just flown by. I can remember when you were about to have your surgery done, really happy to hear from you again and that all is going so very well.

Macky xx
    Operation 1966, Fused from T4 to L3, had Harrington rods inserted. Originally had an 85 degree Thoracic curve with lumbar scoliosis as well but had a good correction.
    Perfectly normal life till 1997 but now in a lot of pain daily. Consider myself very fortunate though.

Comment

That's great to hear Lynne!
      Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
      Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
      T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
      Osteotomies and Laminectomies
      Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Good for you Lynne! I'm glad all your hard work has paid off! Enjoy your gardening.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Yay, Lynne!!! I'm so glad you are doing so great. You have been an inspiration to me, as you are one year ahead of me and it's been good noting how you are doing...

I THOUGHT I was doing well at each stage of the recovery game, but it seems like when I look back, I am always sooooo much better as more time goes by. I guess it's good to think you are doing well and then be pleasantly surprised by how much more you can do with the passage of time...

Hope you celebrate your 3rd anniversary in some way. I'm so glad you posted!
          71 and plugging along... but having some problems
          2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
          5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
          Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
          CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
          10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Im a long way from 3 yrs....but it's refreshing to hear stories like yours. Thanks for sharing.....plant away!
            Lynn -30.... something
            DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
            At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
            At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
            Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
            UW Madison, WI Hospital
            **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

Thanks for posting Lynn. I'm so happy for you. It is good to know that there is healing beyond two years because right now, it looks like I will need that much time. My best to you. Sally
              Diagnosed with severe lumbar scoliosis at age 65.
              Posterior Fusion L2-S1 on 12/4/2007. age 67
              Anterior Fusion L3-L4,L4-L5,L5-S1 on 12/19/2007
              Additional bone removed to decompress right side of L3-L4 & L4-L5 on 4/19/2010
              New England Baptist Hospital, Boston, MA
              Dr. Frank F. Rands735.photobucket.com/albums/ww360/butterflyfive/

"In God We Trust" Happy moments, praise God. Difficult moments, seek God. Quiet moments, worship God. Painful moments, trust God. Every moment, thank God.

Comment

Hi Lynn

You have quite a story, with a great outcome.
                Fantastic!

I grew up in Wayne, NJ I left in 1980 Where are you at? You remember Dr Ciccone years ago?
                Ed
                49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
                Pre surgery curves T70,L70
                ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
                Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
                http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Way To Go

I am so glad you are doing well at the 3 year mark. I like to hear from people that are that far out from surgery to know that there is a light at the end of the tunnel!! I know that time is the great healer and it sounds like you are proof of that. Good luck in your gardening. I see my weeds and my head wants to get back to it so bad but my back doesn't want me too!
                  Kristy
                  May 2008 Fusion T4 - S1, Pre-op Curves T45, L70 (age 48). Unsuccessful surgery.

March 18, 2010 (age 50). Revision with L3 Osteotomy, Replacement of hardware T11 - S1 , addition of bilateral pelvic fixation. Correction of sagittal imbalance and kyphosis.

January 24, 2012 (age 52) Revision to repair pseudoarthrosis and 2 broken rods at L3/L4.

Comment

Great to hear from you! Congrats on being 3 years post-op! Wow, how time flies.
                    All the best,
                    Anya
                    "You must be the change you want to see in the world."

Previously 55 degree thoracolumbar curve
                    Surgery June 5, 2007 - Dr. Clifford Tribus, University of Wisconsin Hospital
                    19 degrees post-op!

http://abhbarry.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                    X