SpineCor and Weight Loss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SpineCor and Weight Loss

I am in the process of receiving my first back brace (SpineCor) and I have question. I am 18 years old, and I have put on a few pounds since beginning University in September. Over the summer, I would like to lose some weight (20-30 pounds) but I do not know what effect it would have on my brace in terms of fit. During bracing, should I avoid drastic weight loss/gain or will the bands adjust to the change?

Thank you in advance for your help!
    Justine
    Last edited by Ballerina; 04-29-2009, 12:02 AM.
    My name is Justine
    I am 17 years old
    I live in Canada
    March 2007 - 13 degree curvature
    June 2007 - 28.5 degree curvature
    January 2008 - 27 degree curvature
    CHEO June 26th

Hi Justine...

The brace can be readjusted, so that shouldn't be a problem.

I'm concerned about why you're going to start wearing the brace at your age. Was it prescribed by an orthopaedic doctor or a chiropractor? At 18 (and presumably female), you should be well past skeletal maturity. If you are skeletally mature, the brace will do nothing in terms of permanently reducing your curves, or for that matter, even keeping your curves from getting worse.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

^I have been prescribed the SpineCor adult brace because of the chronic back pain that I have been enduring for the past 2 years. My curve is not large, and I am not concerned with decreasing the size of my curve, but I am hoping it will help reduce or eliminate the pain associated with it.

Thanks so much for your reply!
      Justine
      My name is Justine
      I am 17 years old
      I live in Canada
      March 2007 - 13 degree curvature
      June 2007 - 28.5 degree curvature
      January 2008 - 27 degree curvature
      CHEO June 26th

Comment

I hope it serves the purpose for you, Justine ... chronic pain is tough. Let us know how things work out.

Best regards,
        Pam
        Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
        AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
        Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
        Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
        EMAIL ME

Comment

Originally posted by Ballerina View Post
          I am in the process of receiving my first back brace (SpineCor) and I have question. I am 18 years old, and I have put on a few pounds since beginning University in September. Over the summer, I would like to lose some weight (20-30 pounds) but I do not know what effect it would have on my brace in terms of fit. During bracing, should I avoid drastic weight loss/gain or will the bands adjust to the change?

Thank you in advance for your help!
          Justine
          Hi Ballerina, best of luck to you at university and in your bracing choice. I'm an adult Spinecor patient and your question interested me because i have just lost 5 pounds since fitting a little over three weeks ago (was not intentional, guess less pain has just made me more active). I wear the brace originally designed for adolescents & the one that has been used on adults for the last five years here in the US. Who are you seeing in Canada? I'm seeing Dr. Lamantia here in the states.

After losing the five pounds i noticed a looseness of brace, and made a special appointment with my Dr to check it out (also wanted to look at the new adult brace just launched over here). Anyway, as i thought, the weight loss did effect the fit and my doctor was able to quickly reset the brace to compensate for the new me

As i'm sure you know, while brace design certainly allows for adjustment with weight gain and/or loss (this adjustment should only be made by or under the supervision of your certified provider). In my case, if i had not sought advice from my doctor, and self treated so to speak, i would have thought a certain strap should be tightened ... when in reality, it should have been lengthened. Yikes - that could have turned out bad.

Anyway - that's all i know about that. Again best of luck at university, with your weight loss program, and Spinecor treatment. I hope you will keep us posted on all.

Comment

Working...
          X