Glucosamine post-surgery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glucosamine post-surgery?

My husband came home with this goofy 'miracle' juice yesterday that contains glucosamine. He wanted me to try it because of my shoulder pain. Red flags set of in my head immediately. From what I know about glucosamine, it is supposed to lubricate your joints, right? And I'm trying to get my back joints to fuse so maybe it's not a good idea. Anyone have any thoughts?

I think I'll call the NP at Dr. N's office later and ask.

For the record, I think my husband is nuts for even listening to that presentation. He wouldn't have purchased the bottle, but his friend bought it for him.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

If it's Monavie, be thankful for it! It is the only thing that has helped me. I had terrible aches, and my lower back would lock up so I couldn't stand upright at times. I went off of it several times to test if it was just a coincidence, and it wasn't. It has been an answer to prayer for me.

Since you're post-surgery, please do check with your doctor, but if he says it's okay then drink it! Please know that it took three bottles before I felt pain relief, so I'm glad I didn't give up too soon.

Comment

To avoid the unknowns of glucosamine, you could start with the original Monavie. It has a purple wrapper instead of green. It is the same acai berry blend but without added glucosamine. The high antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties might be able to help your shoulder. I wish I could have had Monavie when I was recovering from surgery!

Comment

Originally posted by NancyB View Post
        To avoid the unknowns of glucosamine, you could start with the original Monavie. It has a purple wrapper instead of green. It is the same acai berry blend but without added glucosamine. The high antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties might be able to help your shoulder. I wish I could have had Monavie when I was recovering from surgery!
        Acai berry, to my knowledge, isn't really proven to do anything. I'd love to see what you have if you wouldn't mind posting the data: Not testimonials from a manufacturer/distributor, please.

Why direct the original poster to something she didn't inquire about? Acai berry certainly has no link to Debbe's original question ...
        Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
        AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
        Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
        Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
        EMAIL ME

Comment

Originally posted by txmarinemom View Post
          Acai berry, to my knowledge, isn't really proven to do anything. I'd love to see what you have if you wouldn't mind posting the data: Not testimonials from a manufacturer/distributor, please.

Why direct the original poster to something she didn't inquire about? Acai berry certainly has no link to Debbe's original question ...
          Pam's right--I have no interest in drinking snake oil. I only wondered if it is safe for spinal fusion patients to use glucosamine post op. I've said for days, but I'm going to put in a call today to the NP at my surgeon's office.

As far as the 'KoolAid' as I refer to it with my husband, he has 4 bottles and we'll see if he feels any benefits once they're gone.

PLEASE let's not get into a debate about this juice. That's why I didn't include the name in the first place.

Comment

I'm so sorry! I guess I saw a part of the original post that I could address from personal experience and ran with it. You're right, you asked about the glucosamine and fusion, and I have nothing to offer there. Please accept my apology. I'll be more careful what I say if I ever get over this humiliation and post again!

Comment

I'm so sorry! I guess I saw a part of the original post that I could address from personal experience and ran with it. You're right, you asked about the glucosamine and fusion, and I have nothing to offer there. Please accept my apology. I'll be more careful what I say if I ever get over this humiliation and post again!
              Nancy,

Please don't feel bad. I understand how people feel strongly about it on both sides. I'll post an update on what the surgeon's office says.

Comment

Hey, we all humiliate ourselves here from time to time - LOL ... it's kind of like a right of passage ;-). As long as your intentions were good, no harm. I apologize if I came across harshly.

Regards,
                Pam
                Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
                AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
                Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
                Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
                EMAIL ME

Comment

UPDATE from Dr.'s office

the nurse practitioner said that glucosamine is safe for me to take with my fusion. She said that usually it doesn't give their patients any relief from back pain, but usually works well for knees and probably shoulders. So I'll give it a shot.

I also took the opportunity to ask her again about ibuprophen. When I went for my 5month checkup the Dr. said that I could start taking it for my shoulder pain, but I've been to chicken to try. I don't want to compromise my fusion to help my shoulder feel better. The NP today said that at 6 months, it would be ok to take occasionally, but not on a regular basis for shoulder pain. She suggests that I wait one year, and I will.

So tomorrow I'm off to the healthfood store to find some glucosamine. I'll leave the 'koolaid' for my husband.

Comment

Working...
                  X