Daughter diagnosed - Please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daughter diagnosed - Please help

My 11 year old daughter(just turned 11 this month)was diagnosed with a 17 degree curve in the thorasic area 6 months ago at Children's Hosp. She was checked again last week and it progressed to 24 degrees. Doctor says he could go forward with hard brace. This is wear I need help. I see that many like the Spinecor brace, the Europeans use Rigo-Cheneau and the Americans use the TSLO? I only want the best for my daughter and don't know what to do. Her school is not air conditioned and we live in San Diego. Can anyone please help advise me what to do? I don't want her to have the pain that I do everyday from scoliosis.

I don't know much about SpineCor or Rigo-Cheneau, but I do know that TLSO hard braces get very hot. Probably a lot more since you live in a hot climate. Your daughter might be a little less compliant with the brace if it makes her extremely hot. I live in New England, where it never really gets that hot. On the other hand, I have had amazing results from my Boston brace. I've only had it for one month and two days and my biggest curve has gone from 28 to 10 degrees. I don't know how effective the other two braces are, but whichever your doctor thinks is best, probably is. Best of luck!!

Stephanie. Fifteen.
    Boston Braced Since March 26, 2009.
    2 thoracic curves: 28 and 22 degrees.
    1 lower lumbar curve: 14 degrees.

One leg is longer than the other; pelvic tilt.
    Curves are reversing in my brace!
    Mother and sister with mild scoliosis,
    and treatment was not required.

"I am uneven.
    2 Halves.
    1 body.
    A curve.
    So what?
    Mistakes.
    They lie.
    Within.
    My spine.
    I.
    Do not.
    Match up.
    Inside.
    And outside.
    I am uneven."

written by me. on May 7, 2008.

Comment

Hi Jenny'smom,

I sent you a private message-

Comment

Hi Jenny's mom
        We live in San Diego too. My 15 year old daughter wears a Cheneau-like brace which was made in LA and we are pleased with the results so far. www.thelabrace.com I believe it is a type of TLSO brace.
        PM me if you would like more info and we'd be glad to meet you, if you want to see my daughter's brace or ask me/her questions about it.

Comment

brace options

Originally posted by Jenny'smom View Post
          My 11 year old daughter(just turned 11 this month)was diagnosed with a 17 degree curve in the thorasic area 6 months ago at Children's Hosp. She was checked again last week and it progressed to 24 degrees. Doctor says he could go forward with hard brace. This is wear I need help. I see that many like the Spinecor brace, the Europeans use Rigo-Cheneau and the Americans use the TSLO? I only want the best for my daughter and don't know what to do. Her school is not air conditioned and we live in San Diego. Can anyone please help advise me what to do? I don't want her to have the pain that I do everyday from scoliosis.
          i am 43 and i did wear a hard brace for 18 mo. i had a 28 degree curve and it was reduced to 18. i was told i would be in a wheelchair by the time i was 40.today i am healthy and pain free. i work out everyday and do strength exercises for my back. no one would know i had scoliosis without really looking at me bending down. please tell your daughter to wear the brace with commitment and this will one day pass. i know it is difficult for a young girl to face wearing such an instrument but it is better than the alternative, which is surgery unless there is no other choice. she will get thru this as i have. i didn't let it stop me from anything either. i was a cheeleader all thru highschool. i went to proms and sweet 16 wearing my brace. because of my strength of not letting it get the best of me, my friends and classmates were very supportive. she is not alone. this is very common and is hereditary. my 18 year old son has a 10 degree curve which is not so bad, but i know how you feel in wanting to avoid for her what's happened to you. that is a mothers worry for all. what was your experience and why are you in pain? i look foward to hearing from you if you would like and if i can be of any help. it is better that she is so young to correct this problem now.

Comment

dear stephanie

Originally posted by StephanieSmiles View Post
            I don't know much about SpineCor or Rigo-Cheneau, but I do know that TLSO hard braces get very hot. Probably a lot more since you live in a hot climate. Your daughter might be a little less compliant with the brace if it makes her extremely hot. I live in New England, where it never really gets that hot. On the other hand, I have had amazing results from my Boston brace. I've only had it for one month and two days and my biggest curve has gone from 28 to 10 degrees. I don't know how effective the other two braces are, but whichever your doctor thinks is best, probably is. Best of luck!!
            what a beautiful poem you wrote. just one thing please do not think of yourself as uneven on the inside. you are brave to wear your brace with dignity which makes you whole and complete on the inside. take it from me, your dedication will pay off. i am living proof that the brace makes a huge difference in this deformity. i am 43 now and in the best shape of my life. never give up and consider yourself beautiful, as i am sure you are!

Comment

Thank you. this forum is filled with angels.

Thank you! I'm so glad that I wrote the poem when I wasn't being treated - before my brace. I thought I always used to be such a wreck about my scoliosis, thinking that it was ruining my life. But whenever I read that poem, I know that I have always been strong. And nothing will ever change that. =)

Oh, and I know that scoliosis is technically a "deformity," but I hate thinking of it like that. It doesn't change your life completely, or keep you from doing things you love. So many people have it, including my mom, sister, and one of my best friends. But I'm the only person I know who has a brace. It makes me unique. And, no, not deformed. But it's okay, I understand that scoliosis is probably classified as that.

Stephanie. Fifteen.
              Boston Braced Since March 26, 2009.
              2 thoracic curves: 28 and 22 degrees.
              1 lower lumbar curve: 14 degrees.

One leg is longer than the other; pelvic tilt.
              Curves are reversing in my brace!
              Mother and sister with mild scoliosis,
              and treatment was not required.

"I am uneven.
              2 Halves.
              1 body.
              A curve.
              So what?
              Mistakes.
              They lie.
              Within.
              My spine.
              I.
              Do not.
              Match up.
              Inside.
              And outside.
              I am uneven."

written by me. on May 7, 2008.

Comment

its ok

im sorry about the news about your daughter it must be very hard i know how it feels to be in that situation and it is very hard. I hope the school can get air-conditioner and i hope the brace wont be a problem. and im feeling very weird around SOME kids and as i tell them about my problems. But when i wanna talk about it i just cant. But there is this one kid i dont like to talk to about and she doesn't understand and i mean she always complains about her back and she thinks its so hard but im like you have no idea. and people think its not so hard and you can just fly by with it but you just cant. So to add it all up i just want to say that i hope yall get air-conditioner and thinking about what i said and just remember that some if the people will hurt her.

Comment

Working...
                X