pain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pain

Will you please describe the pain when you woke up after surgery? Would you call it excruciating? How long or how many days did the pain linger? Thank you for your response.

Letty

Letty,
    I remember very little pain....I had a/p surgery. I had an IV pump that has pain medications in it. The patient controls it. So if you need more meds, at any time you just push the button youself. The first 24 hours after surgery your so "druggy" that all you do is sleep, so you don't remember very much.

It is a lot scary going into surgery, than it actually is. The unknown is always worse that the reality.
    SandyC
    SandyC

Comment

Sandy,

Thank you for your reply. For someone like me who's contemplating to undergo surgery, this means a lot.

Letty

Comment

agreed, the pain is very tolerable. you're all messed up from the drugs, it feels like a dream really. you might think "hey that kinda hurts i think" but its not like anything you'd imagine. i also had a push button so you may give yourself a dosage whenever you want but it has a limit on time, for example, i could only give one dose every so many minutes. you have nothing to worry about, good luck, Derek

Comment

Hi,
          Good luck with your decision to have surgery its a very hard choice..I/m currently 2 months post-op and i'm doing better than expected..the only downside is the pain..now my nerves in my back are waking up or rejuvination and they are so senitive...it's a long process with each step towards a positive outcome.
          CONNIE

Surgery June 28th 2004
          fused T4 -L3
          Hip graft
          Grown 1 1/2 inches
          25/o upper T 15/o
          53/o T 15/o
          37/o L 6/o
          Dr. Micheal Nuewirth
          New York City

August 6, 2004
          Pulmonary Embolism
          complication from surgery

January 2007 currently
          increasing pain at the T4/5
          point irratation heardwear

Comment

Hi Letty...

I had pretty bad pain control, and so I would definitely say I had a lot more pain than the others are describing.

Regards,
            Linda
            Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
            ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
            Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

I agree...........

I agree with the first people, very little pain, and I'm now very vague on the details because of the medication. Walking was a little "stiff" but not as painful as I had expected.

Comment

Hi Letty,
                This is Tiffany. About the pain. Its great that many of the others were in little to no pain. Mine was really bad. I ended up getting an epiderril and morphine (two of the MANY pain killers I received.
                Tiffany

Comment

Oh My God

Originally posted by spincon58
                  Hi,
                  Good luck with your decision to have surgery its a very hard choice..I/m currently 2 months post-op and i'm doing better than expected..the only downside is the pain..now my nerves in my back are waking up or rejuvination and they are so senitive...it's a long process with each step towards a positive outcome.
                  I'm sorry, I just can't get over how much your surgery was like mine! I was fused from T4-L3 AND, I went to the doctor because I was having chest pain, and they took lots of tests to make sure it wasn't pulminary embolism! I'm sorry, it was just a surprising coincidence!
                  Larari
                  Two Curves
                  One was in low 40's
                  One in high 30's
                  Braced for eight months
                  Curves got worse
                  The one in the 40's was now in the 60's
                  The one in the 30's was now in the high 50's
                  Surgery 8/25/04
                  1 and 1/2 inches taller

Comment

we r the same

Hi,
                    What's there 2 B sorry about? Yes we did have simular surgeries..we R fused the same, we grew the same LOL ..and well the chest pain, thank goodness U did not have an embolism....U C I thought the chest pain was coming from my back, but as i started to heal, my chest didn't...that was such a scary experience...everyone in the hospital kept a close watch on me....I want so bad for the recovery stage to be finished already!!!!!I want to get back 2 the gym and play tennis...my dr. OK these activities..but i don't feel up 2 it yet....hopefully soon.....
                    CONNIE

Surgery June 28th 2004
                    fused T4 -L3
                    Hip graft
                    Grown 1 1/2 inches
                    25/o upper T 15/o
                    53/o T 15/o
                    37/o L 6/o
                    Dr. Micheal Nuewirth
                    New York City

August 6, 2004
                    Pulmonary Embolism
                    complication from surgery

January 2007 currently
                    increasing pain at the T4/5
                    point irratation heardwear

Comment

Pulminary Embolism

OMG, so u DO hav Pulminary Embolism? I hope you feel much better real soon! Mine wuz real sudden. I woke up with pains in my left chest if I breathed in deeply. It got better after a couple of hourz, but I went to the hospital to make sure it wasn't something serious. I wound up going through like, 4-5 tests to find out whether it WAS Pulminary Embolism or not. By the time I was done with the tests, it was 5:30PM (We came in at 12:45PM). THEN I found out I had to stay ovrenight so they could keep a close eye on me. They woke me up every 2 hours to check my vitals (which grew annoying after a while). And then the nurse came in to insert a iv thingy into my wrist arteries but she couldn't do it and each time she tried it got more painful but she kept failing. After 4-5 tries, another nurse came in and did it on the first try! The next morning, I had to do an angeogram to see if one of the screws from the surgery was really close to the aeorta, and if it was, he would have to go back and do ANOTHER surgery to take the screw out. But, there was a wide enough gap between the screws and the aeorta that they didn't have to take the screw out! YAY. But if it wasn't PE, Or a screw, what is it? They said that I don't have SEVERE PE, but I did have little tiny clots, but they hope that's like, a post-surgical thing where you're not moving around as much and stuff. They suggested that maybe it was a muscle pull or something (Muscle pulls SURE ARE PAINFUL)... But, they put me on Aspirin to thin the blood... Yeah... Glad that's over... I really do hope you feel better and can play tennis and stuff again. Good luck!
                      Larari
                      Two Curves
                      One was in low 40's
                      One in high 30's
                      Braced for eight months
                      Curves got worse
                      The one in the 40's was now in the 60's
                      The one in the 30's was now in the high 50's
                      Surgery 8/25/04
                      1 and 1/2 inches taller

Comment

Working...