Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to decide on surgery

Hello everyone,
    I have been reading several of your threads over the past week, and right now I am very confused about what this whole process involves. Sorry I do not know all the proper terms for which curve is which, but I was diagnosed at the age of 11 with a backward S curve. The worst being right at my ribs. I used a stimulator for about a year then had growth spurt and was then placed in a Milwaukee Brace from 1984-1988. In 1988 I had a 47* for the top curve, and was told this was nothing to worry about that it would not get worse. Two years ago I was involved in a car wreck where I was hit in the drivers door, and every since I have been having issues with my back. Right after the accident the curve was 50*. I just had it checked a year later and now it is 53*. My doctor wants to do surgery on it now. My problem is that what I have been reading he did not even mention as to what to expect. I am looking for a new doctor now and would like some advice as to what I should ask him. I live in the Indianapolis area does any one have any suggestions of a good doctor?
    Last edited by loris; 04-22-2009, 02:15 PM.
    Diagnosed @ at of 11
    Muscle Stimulator for 1 year
    Milwaukee Brace from 1982-1987 47* (center curve)
    (was told would never get worse)
    Surgery November 11, 2009
    Fused T6-T12
    Pre Op 25* - 54* - 40*
    Post Op 24* - 33* - 21*

Hi Loris....

It's always a good idea to get a second opinion, so I think it's a good idea that you're trying to find another doctor. If you post your geographic area, I think you may find people posting recommendations for you.

I created a totally unscientific quiz to help patients in their decision about whether to have surgery or not. Thought it might be helpful for you.

http://www.scoliosislinks.com/ShouldYouHaveSurgery.htm

Good luck.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Thanks Linda for the quiz. As much pain as I am in these days I do not see that I have much of an option but to do the surgery. I am just trying to make sure I am getting the right doctor. I
      Diagnosed @ at of 11
      Muscle Stimulator for 1 year
      Milwaukee Brace from 1982-1987 47* (center curve)
      (was told would never get worse)
      Surgery November 11, 2009
      Fused T6-T12
      Pre Op 25* - 54* - 40*
      Post Op 24* - 33* - 21*

Comment

Working...
      X