No announcement yet.

3 weeks since surgery--sitting problem.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 weeks since surgery--sitting problem.

Hi all--
    Well, it's been 3 weeks and I got home last Friday. Did a week in rehab too. It went well I guess. Of course, doesn't always feel like that but know he got a good correction and a couple of extra inches on me. I think my daugter did a short up-date for me in the midst of all of this. Sorry we couldn't keep up with more info. 2 days before surgery my husband's brother was life-flighted to Des Moines, Iowa. Eventually had most of one lung removed and has been in induced coma. These last 3 weeks have been pretty unbelievable. He miraculously is doing better--they nearly lost him more than once. My poor hubby has been through the mill.
    So...this is short too. I just cannot seem to sit for more than a couple minutes. Anyone have any answers for sitting? I can lie flat pretty well and walk for short periods but sitting is so uncomfortable I just can't do computer, etc.despite pillows. It's mostly all upper torso--not the bottom into pelvis which I would have expected more pain. This T2-pelvis is quite the long incision. Thanks anyone for help and also good luck to those coming up here soon. Haven't read anything on hre since pre-surgery. Janet
    Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
    Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
    Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
    Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
    T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

HI Janet,

I had a horrible time sitting and my fusion only goes to T-4. My family had to force me to get up and get in a chair...I would beg to lay back down. I finally went out to a Lazy boy store and spent a couple of hours sitting in chairs to find one I could be comfy in. It does get better. Best of luck.

Patty
    Patty 51 years old
    Surgery May 23, 2007(43 Birthday)
    Posterior T3- L4
    Pre surgery curves
    T-53degrees
    L-38degrees
    and a severe side shift to the right.
    Post surgery curves
    Less than 10 degrees
    Surgery April, 2006
    C4 - C6

Comment

Hi Janet

Just for kicks when your up to it, you will have to measure your height. I grew 4 inches! and now have to look down at peoples eyes. Its funny when others notice, they are usually in shock. (The ones concerned about their height!) LOL Just say, that you had your surgery postponed and you are the one shrinking, and need to see a Doctor about that right away. I get a kick out of that.

Yup, T2- big toe, that's a long one! but then again a L3-L4 is longer if your 100 feet tall.

Hang in there, your through the hardest part. It will get better, I promise. The 3 minute max sit time you are experiencing right now will improve somewhat quicker from now on. Use a pillow behind you. I paced quite a bit at 3 weeks, I was in constant movement and could not get comfortable. Do you have the foam for the bed? It will increase your sleep time. That's the main thing. Trying to sleep is tough. You have to eat also, I'm losing my gall bladder next week due to that you know. I lost 40 # in 40 days and that was too fast.

Isn't it amazing that it hurts up high and not down low? I had the same thing happen to me.The "bear traps" up high take a while to go away, but they will.

I remember the day that I was sitting at my pc and it was the first time that I was pain free in decades. It was nirvana. I couldn't believe it. These are things to think about. These are things I think about every day. I'm sorry about your brother-in-law and your husband. Try not to worry too much, you need to heal yourself and it takes maximum effort on your part just concentrating on yourself.

Slow and easy now. Don't worry about posting so soon.
      Ed
      49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
      Pre surgery curves T70,L70
      ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
      Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
      http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Janet,

Are you wearing a brace? Without the support of my brace which I was required to wear for three months post op, I don’t think I would have been able to sit at all. Sitting for me in the hospital and rehab was torturous. I felt like I had a 100-lb. weight strapped to my back. While recovering at my brother’s place, I found the best seat in the house to be a glider on the front porch. The seat and back was fully padded and the seat was neither too low nor too high. I sat on it for hours every day reading one book after another. I could not sit on upholstered furniture for months. But seriously, at least for me, the support I got from my brace made sitting more bearable.

Comment

Finally, I could get back on here. After a couple weeks it takes you off and I didn't have the wherewithall to get back on! Actually, Dr. Lenke doesn't do a brace. My roommate in rehab did have one and sometimes despite the hassle it looked awfully nice to be able to just have something else hold you up. I'm actually going to start a new thread about low blood pressure. That is my biggest problem now!
          Janet

61 years old--57 for surgery

Diagnosed in 1965 at age of 13--no brace
          Thoracic Curve: 96 degrees to 35 degrees
          Lumbar Curve: 63 degrees to 5 degrees
          Surgery with Dr. Lenke in St. Louis--March 30, 2009
          T-2 to Pelvis, and hopefully all posterior procedure.

All was posterior along with 2 cages and 6 osteotomies.

Comment

It must be the long zip we have. I'm T4 - pelvis and sitting was my worst position. I'm 9 weeks tomorrow and now I can sit for up to 45 minutes. So it does get better!

My biggest problem is dizziness and I emailed my surgeon this morning. I'm hoping it's still withdrawals. Please go easy on the cutting down of meds. I wouldn't wish withdrawals on anyone. If this dizziness isn't withdrawals, I am scared about what it could be.

I will start a new thread on it!
            Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
            Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
            T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
            Osteotomies and Laminectomies
            Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

I find I can sit in some chairs with no problem and others...no way. I'm lucky my recliner is perfect with a king size pillow upright. My car is awful! I used a pillow today to go for my PT eval. but the bumps kill me. I hate to drive now!

Going to a store and trying a bunch of recliners till you find the perfect one for you, Good luck!
              ~Em

Diagnosed at 13, Milw brace-didn't wear it like I should have.
              pre-surg 78* Thoracic,
              post-surg 22* Thoracic.
              Fusion from T2 to L2 scheduled for April 15, 09 in Tulsa, OK

Comment

Originally posted by emwonderfull View Post
                I find I can sit in some chairs with no problem and others...no way. I'm lucky my recliner is perfect with a king size pillow upright. My car is awful! I used a pillow today to go for my PT eval. but the bumps kill me. I hate to drive now!

Going to a store and trying a bunch of recliners till you find the perfect one for you, Good luck!
                After about 2 months or so, the bumps in the car didn't cause me to cringe. It will get better!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

How are you doing now Janet? Any improvements?
                  Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
                  Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
                  T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
                  Osteotomies and Laminectomies
                  Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Working...
                  X