Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post Op Epidural Steroid Injection

Hello all,
    It' been a while but I'm back and needing some help. I am 10 months post op from 10T-L5 fusion and still in a significant amount of pain. On a regular day, I take 20mg Oxycontin and 7.5/325mg Percocet in the morning, more Percocet every 8 hours as needed (and I need it every 8 hours) and 10mg Oxycontin and 7/5/325mg Percocet in the evening before bed. I also take 7.5mg Temazepam for sleep. I called my surgeon and asked about doing an epidural steroid injection to help with the pain and I was told by his nurse that it's fine to do and might be helpful. Has anyone had experience with the ESI post-op and if so how did it go? Did you have positive results?

I am just so tired of being in pain. People around me keep saying "But you're so much better than you were a year ago!" and I keep thinking "But I wasn't on massive amounts of pain meds a year ago!!!". I'm disappointed and disheartened. I really thought by now I'd be so much further along than I am. This weekend was particularily bad. When I woke up the last 2 days, I literally couldn't move due to the pain in my lumber back. It was definately a 10 on the pain scale. I average a 6-7 most days.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
    Becky, 46 years old
    Diagnosed at 13 with mild scoliosis
    Ignored until 448/07
    Left thoracic 49* T5-T11
    Right thorocolumbar 60* T11-L4
    Surgery Monday, June 9, 2008 Oklahoma Spine Hospital
    Fused T-10 to L-5
    14 titanium pedicle screws
    Corrected to approx. 10* YEA!!!
    Email

I'm sorry to hear that and hope you feel better soon. The only advice I can give is what I just had done for lower back pain, but I'm 3 years post op. A couple of doctors said it's a strained muscle and it was killing me for weeks. I got trigger point injections of pain meds. (lidacaine) directly into the muscle and was pain free for about 6 weeks.
    Good luck!
    Jenn
    37 y/o female
    60 degree lumbar
    45 degree thoracic
    1st time anterior/posterior surgery May 8th and 10th 2006
    T 5 to S 1
    NYC

Comment

Originally posted by skoshi314 View Post
      Hello all,
      It' been a while but I'm back and needing some help. I am 10 months post op from 10T-L5 fusion and still in a significant amount of pain. On a regular day, I take 20mg Oxycontin and 7.5/325mg Percocet in the morning, more Percocet every 8 hours as needed (and I need it every 8 hours) and 10mg Oxycontin and 7/5/325mg Percocet in the evening before bed. I also take 7.5mg Temazepam for sleep. I called my surgeon and asked about doing an epidural steroid injection to help with the pain and I was told by his nurse that it's fine to do and might be helpful. Has anyone had experience with the ESI post-op and if so how did it go? Did you have positive results?

I am just so tired of being in pain. People around me keep saying "But you're so much better than you were a year ago!" and I keep thinking "But I wasn't on massive amounts of pain meds a year ago!!!". I'm disappointed and disheartened. I really thought by now I'd be so much further along than I am. This weekend was particularily bad. When I woke up the last 2 days, I literally couldn't move due to the pain in my lumber back. It was definately a 10 on the pain scale. I average a 6-7 most days.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
      Hi Becky,
      I am now 6 months in from my Oct. 6th sugery and still have daily lumbar pain and stiffness. I am going in for my 3rd injection into my right sacroiliac joint. Last two were for my left side which became very inflamed. The shots helped quite a bit. This healing process is very slow and I have been off pain meds for a month but have gone back to taking 2-4 vicoden per day again because I can't stand it. I keep thinking that I should be further along too but mt PT guy and my surgeon just keep saying that it takes up to a year or more to fully recover and I have to keep remembering all the progress I have made rather than focus on the pain I still have. Feel free to email me anytime. I can totally relate to how you are feeling and how slow and BORING this waiting to recover is. wendyohms@gmail.com
      wendy from Ct
      surgery Oct 6th 2008
      50 degree lumbar curve
      corrected to zero

Comment

Epidural???for skoshi314

Not sure if anyone can get into your epidural space if you are fused to L-5. The only space below that is L5 - S1.

If you are having nerve pain opioids/benzodiazepines(temazapam) do NOT work. I suggest visiting a good pain management doc. They have expertise and the time to fine tune your pain management--and offer good alternatives to what you are using now.

It is not unusual to have pain for a good year and half post-op.
        Original scoliosis surgery 1956 T-4 to L-2 ~100 degree thoracic (triple)curves at age 14. NO hardware-lost correction.
        Anterior/posterior revision T-4 to Sacrum in 2002, age 60, by Dr. Boachie-Adjei @Hospital for Special Surgery, NY = 50% correction

Comment

trigger point injections

I have no personal experiance with ESIs, but my pain management Dr gives me monthly trigger point injections and I have amazing results! Now, these are only effective if the pain is related to muscle spasms and only lasts a couple weeks, but it is the most relief I have found.
          ~ Monica B
          Thorasic 45* / Lumbar 49*
          Post OP Thorasic 15*/ Lumbar 15*
          Surgery by the most amazing Ortho in Tampa, FL, Dr. Castellvi, MD

Comment

Working...
          X