One week to go!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One week to go!

Today I'm exactly one week away from surgery on April 27. I'm really nervous and scared and a bit apprehensive about how it's all going to go. I'm trying to focus on the positives but in times like this, it gets a bit hard. I just want it to be over quickly! I'm also a bit worried as over the last week or so I've read many threads about problems with the anterior approach which I didn't know of earlier. We'll see how it all goes
    Diagnosed at the age of 18 (2004)
    46° curve
    Surgery scheduled for April 27, 2009 - Anterior fusion from T12 - L3

I know exactly how you feel! My surgery is scheduled for one day after yours, April 28. I'm trying not to stress too much about the problems I've read about just like you and I'm doing everything I can think of to de-stress.

I had a mani-pedi this morning and I'm going to yoga tonight, not that I can do much there. Let's just say my arms, legs, and neck thank me for the effort, but my back does not. Don't worry, I'm very careful with the yoga and I have my Drs approval.

I have so many things I want to do, but I can't get focused enough to accomplish much. And, I'm exhausted! I think it's from giving blood. The first time I gave, I was just a bit tired for a couple of days, no big deal. That was back on March 31. I gave another pint a week later and I still feel completely run down from it. I'm napping daily and taking iron to try to get my energy back. The Dr didn't push me to give, I just thought it was the best thing to do. I know now that it wasn't! I have decided not to give the third pint that the Dr requested if I were to give at all. Just tooooo worn out. ...Not the way I wanted to go into surgery.

Sorry, I'm rambling. I wish you the very best with your surgery. I'll be in touch.
    -Jo

Diagnosed at age 12
    Milwalkee Brace worn Faithfully 1971-1977
    Posterior Fusion T-9 to Pelvis- April 28, 2009
    Dr Frank Rand, NEBH, Boston

Comment

OK - girls. We will do great! Mine is scheduled also for the 28th and I'm totally manic. Can't focus on any one thing and all I can do to calm down is clean, clean, clean...weird huh? I've also been exhausted and thought it had to do with iron levels - but it doesn't (my iron levels were great last time I gave blood). I notice that I tire when I have time to think about the surgery - so it's best if I stay really busy with kids. (Kids at school and at home). Otherwise I'm a total grouch and tired.

We're going to be the amazing 3 that recover in NO TIME. I'm also anterior and posterior (YIKES) How many scars can one body have?

Always Smilin'
      Colleen

1982 fused T2-L1
      pre op 45 - post op 33 (left thoracic)
      pre op 53 - post op 18 (right thoracic)

recheck 2006
      right thoracic 57
      lower lumbar 34

surgical revision April 28,2009
      revision T3-L1; new fusion L1-L4
      unsure of degrees at this point

Comment

Sounds like a plan. We will all three do great with our surgeries and recover beautifully! My surgery may also end up being anterior/posterior. My doctor is hoping to do it all in one posterior surgery, but may need to do the second to reach my lowest lumbar discs. I will be fused from around T-9 to S-1. I won't know for sure until after the first surgery.

You are right, I am tired from thinking and worrying about the surgery as well. I can't clean much though. It's too hard to reach anything below the waist. It hurts and makes me feel sick.

Keeping busy does definately help. I went to (modified) yoga tonight and I'm hanging with my sweet little granddaughter tomorrow. She's always a good distraction.
        -Jo

Diagnosed at age 12
        Milwalkee Brace worn Faithfully 1971-1977
        Posterior Fusion T-9 to Pelvis- April 28, 2009
        Dr Frank Rand, NEBH, Boston

Comment

I think I'm prepared but I feel so unprepared right now! Getting pretty hard to keep my mind off everything...
          46° curve

Comment

Talk about prepared - I'm so manic right now that I have written handbooks everywhere for people to use while I'm gone...how to use the oven, how to use the microwave, how to turn on the TV...talk about crazy! I think I'm so fearful that something will go wrong that I want everything to be perfect for my kids - if that's possible!

I'm a bit worried about the outcome (revision T2-L1 and new fusion L1-L4) That's just a bit of a rod for one person! I told those closest to me that if things don't work out right to know that I still did what I thought was in my best interest and best interest of those around me and putting up with my daily whining I think I'm so used to pain right now that I just do everything regardless - although tying my shoes 2 days ago about put me through the roof! But it got done

Take care Cim and Jo- the world will have to watch out for us 3 Musketeers We'll take them by storm soon!

Always Smilin'
            Colleen

1982 fused T2-L1

recheck 2006
            right thoracic 57
            lower lumbar 34

Comment

Haha, must be pretty stressful having to worry about your family and yourself as well when preparing for surgery.

I was a bit silly and scheduled my surgery two days after my end-of-semester exams. Now I'll have to apply for deferred examinations as I'm really not in a state to fully focus on such a task.
              46° curve

Comment

I bet all three of you will do great and recover quickly ! Sounds like all three of you are ready.

My surgery will be in late June (exact date to be determined) but it will be right after I return for a vacation to visit my boys who live out of state.

My hope is that the visit to Colorado will be so distracting that I will not worry as much. Hope that strategy works ! I think the worst part will be the long trip home.

You mentioned giving blood. I was surprised when my doctor told me that they no longer have patients give blood prior to surgery because it caused patients to have iron-poor blood requiring a blood transfusion. More importantly the blood companies around here decided that they no longer support user-specified blood donations. They charge a HUGE amount of money to do it and insurance doesn't cover. So, it isn't an option for me. I'm not real happy about that, but have no real choice. Maybe I won't need blood

I've been worrying about April 27 because that is when I have my bending xrays and pre-op visit when he is going to tell me what he plans to do. Now I will be thinking about the three of you on the 27th and 28th. Best of luck to all of you.

Sheri
                At age 56 my curves measured: 48/60/30 with lots of rotation and getting worse
                Posterior fusion T5-L4 June 30, 2009
                Excellent correction

Comment

hi to you three musketeers! I've been following this thread, so endearing the three of you. I am having my surgery on June 4th, so 52skeedoo we will have to get a third musketeer for June so we can commiserate like the April guys when our time come. I'll keep you all in my prayers and thoughts.
                  Dolores A
                  June 4, 2009 Anterior L3 - S1
                  June 8, 2009 Posterior T4 - Pelvis
                  Mark Agulnick, MD FAAOS
                  NY Spine & Scoliosis Center

Comment

My stomach is doing gymnastics right now!

sed78 - I will send you a message later today
                    46° curve

Comment

Good luck to all you ladies!!!!!!!!!!!

Everything will go well....Im sure of it!!!

Take care!
                      Lynn -30.... something
                      DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
                      At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
                      At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
                      Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
                      UW Madison, WI Hospital
                      **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

Cimbom-
                        My stomach is also in such knots I feel sick! Maybe I won't be hungry at all the day before so the "cleaning out" step won't be so bad Luckily my friends took me out last night - a margarita or two helped me relax. But tonight and until the day I don't have much planned to take my mind off.
                        We'll do well - I'm sure - but I'm scared

Always Smilin'
                        Colleen

1982 fused T2-L1

recheck 2006
                        right thoracic 57
                        lower lumbar 34

Comment

My mindset has now changed from nervousness to fear. I'm scared of the huge amount of pain I'll probably be in and I also have a fear that I'll regret having the surgery or won't be happy with the end result. Didn't sleep very well last night either. Hope I don't panic or anything on the day
                          46° curve

Comment

Well good luck ladies! I'm sure you'll do fine. The worst part is the waiting.

One question you might want to ask your doctor is to make sure they do not perform a butt amputation like Naptown78 seems to have had done.
                            Surgeries July 26th & August 3rd 1983 (12 years old)
                            Still have 57 degree curve
                            2 Harrington rods
                            Luque method used
                            Dr David Bradford
                            Twin Cities Scoliosis Center
                            Preop xray (with brace on)
                            Postop xray

Comment

Best wishes

Cimbom, Jo & Always Smilin'

I don't know where you live, but in Indiana, it's a GORGEOUS day today. Hope you can enjoy some lovely weather today and get your mind off the surgery.

Before you know it, you will be on the mend. I'm sure everything will go well. You will be in my thoughts and prayers over the next few days.

Be sure to post on here when you can after surgery to let us all know how you are doing.

Sheri
                              Last edited by 52skeedoo; 04-25-2009, 11:50 AM.
                              At age 56 my curves measured: 48/60/30 with lots of rotation and getting worse
                              Posterior fusion T5-L4 June 30, 2009
                              Excellent correction

Comment

Working...
                              X