PDA

View Full Version : MAJOR milestone

Singer
04-18-2009, 03:25 PM
Let the record show that I just painted my own toenails!! It can be done!!!!

[strains of the Hallelujah Chorus in the background]

!!!!!

Susie*Bee
04-18-2009, 03:37 PM
Whoo hoo, Chris! That is major!!! :D My next goal is to be able to put on pantyhose for my daughter's wedding in June. We shall see... I still have to use my sock aid for my socks, so I'm not sure. Part of my problem is arthritis in the hip, so it's not all from the surgery, but I just don't bend at all. Maybe I can paint my toenails by then too... it's a garden wedding, so a little less formal. ;)

Anyway, I'm both proud and elated for you! Way to go!!!

Linda W
04-18-2009, 05:40 PM
Chris,

Way to go! Toenail painting is a very impressive accomplishment. I'm not sure I will be able to equal your ability to "self paint". My husband and 14 year old son have offered, however, their lack of quality control, bad jokes and the amount of tickling I have to endure make it for a less than special moment. Fortunately, my friends and "other" family members have been generous with gift certificates to help my toes twinkle.

Congratulations!

Linda

debbei
04-18-2009, 05:56 PM
Let the record show that I just painted my own toenails!! It can be done!!!!

[strains of the Hallelujah Chorus in the background]

!!!!!

YEAH!!!!!! You go girl! I'm sure you will have beautiful toenails all summer. :D

txmarinemom
04-18-2009, 07:09 PM
Woo-hoo, Chris! Pick you up one of the Pedi-Egg things with the handle, and no stranger will ever molest your feet again (unless, of course, you *want* them to ;-). Congrats on one more step back towards life as usual ... after a long period of "not usual" being sort of usual.

Linda W, I'm LMAO at "lack of quality control" ... that's hilarious ;-).

Pam

Jo 71-09
04-18-2009, 08:08 PM
...Life's simple pleasures aren't always so simple. I'm so very happy for you! It's encouraging news for someone like me who is still awaiting surgery. I know I will be paying for pretty toes for quite a while. I'm in the stage right now where I"m making sure I appreciate every little thing that I'm afraid I'll never be able to do again. Good for you!

LynnMarie74
04-19-2009, 09:20 AM
Good job!!!! :) I actaully cut mine other day and thought that was cool!! (I think Im triple joined!-ha ha ha) I was just thinking, wouldnt it be nice to have cute toenails for spring? Maybe I will talk my husband into painting mine today!!! What a cool mile stone!! :)

Singer
04-19-2009, 03:40 PM
Thank you all!

loves to skate
04-19-2009, 04:40 PM
Chris,
Good for you! I am so happy for you.:) I was very happy the first time I cut my own toenails and then a few weeks later painted my toenails (clear polish since there definitely was a lack of quality control. Sally

summer
04-19-2009, 06:08 PM
Congratulations! I'm very jealous. Maybe I'm just not trying hard enough. I just can't seem to get the right angle or position to cut/paint toenails or tie my sneakers. I still tie them first & then put them on. =( any secret to it???

JenniferG
04-19-2009, 08:33 PM
Congratulations! It's wonderful to hear these milestones of our surgery sisters and brothers.

I look forward to the day I can say the same...but think it's a way off yet.

LynnMarie74
04-19-2009, 10:06 PM
From what I understand Ed has his painted in OPI's new Spring collection called Kinky In Helsinki! :D

Singer
04-20-2009, 06:26 AM
Hi Summer -- To reach my toes, I put my foot on a low-ish chair and just kind of squat and lower myself down to it, keeping my back pretty straight -- then use whichever hand reaches best to get to the toes. It's a slap-dash job but looks fine from a distance. I suspect it strains the fusion a bit but I'm fast.

Before I arrived at this method, I tried crossing one leg over the other (couldn't reach), lying down and bringing my knee up to my chest (still couldn't reach), and everything inbetween.

It's amazing to me how much more flexible and limber I am as the weather warms up. It's like night and day.

mauxi
04-20-2009, 08:58 AM
Way to go!! Great news like this give a lot of hope. :)
Congrats and keep up the good work!!

loves to skate
04-20-2009, 07:27 PM
My method for cutting and polishing my toenails is to sit on my bed and bring my foot up onto the bed beside me. That way you can flex your foot to get your toes closer to your hands. It's worth a try.
Sally

always smilin'
04-20-2009, 07:51 PM
This could be a totally hilarious website of all us patients trying to polish our toenails. Can't you picture the docs and nurses teaching us this one at our post ops (he he). Ahhhh...the finer things in life. Actually I painted mine (and my daughter's on Sunday) realizing that it could be months before I do that again! YIKES!

CHRIS WBS
04-22-2009, 04:01 PM
My method for cutting and polishing my toenails is to head on over to my favorite nail salon for a pedicure. I will never be able to grab hold of my toes to clip and polish. With a fusion from T4 to the sacrum, Iím just too stiff.

becky331
04-23-2009, 02:23 PM
Congrats on your milestone! Mine need it desperately and I practiced last night the position I could get into to paint them. My boyfriend and son both offered but not sure they could master the French manicure look. I'm going to attempt them tonight..I hope I have as much luck as you did!