Fusion set for June 29th...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fusion set for June 29th...

I am completely scared and don't honestly know what to expect.

I am 25, mother of a 6 month old baby girl, a wife, a student, and a really terrified woman.

I'm getting fused from T2 to S1... June 29th.

I have a double major curve:
    thoracic-69 degrees
    lumbar 88 degrees

Can ANYBODY relate and offer some guidance/comfort? I have never even had a surgery at all... so I'm pretty lost and afraid.

HELP!!!!
    Surgery 6/29 and 7/3 of 2009~ 17 hours worth
    7 blood transfusions (3 were my own)
    26 years old at time of surgery, diagnosed at 12 -
    TLSO brace did NOTHING for me after 3 yrs wearing it...
    other than cause embarassment & torture

Before Surgery:
    Thoracic Curve: 68 degrees
    Lumbar Curve: 89 degrees

After Surgery:
    Thoracic Curve: 32 degrees
    Lumbar Curve: 25 degrees

<3 Nikki

My surgery experience album:
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...5&l=0bcf9da737

Hi...

You sure picked a good one for your first surgery. ;-)

I know there's a lot to get through, but you might want to do some browsing through the previous discussions in this forum. Be careful about reading too much from people who are older. I think that the vast majority of people in your age range have relatively easy recoveries.

The one thing that I would be worried about if I were you, is that it's likely that you won't be able to pick up your daughter for at least 6 months. That's a pretty big ordeal with a 6 month old to take care of.

If your surgeon has provided you with references, I urge you to contact those people. Talking to others who used the same surgeon and hospital can provide the best guidance in terms of what your experience might be like.

Regards,
    Linda
    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Welcome!

Hi Nikki! There are soooo many of us who understand those emotions that you're going through! It can be a scary time, but you will see from lots of us folks on the forum that we have gotten through it ok. You will also get through it. In the past 1.5 years that I've been on the forum, there have been several younger ladies like yourself, in their twenties, that have had surgery. It's not an easy surgery for anyone, but it won't take you as long to recover as it does for someone my age. Hopefully you'll hear from some of those younger people...

How exciting that you are a mother! I bet your little girl is the apple of your eye and fills your time with lots of love. Even though you may not be able to pick her up for awhile, you will be able to hold her on your lap, cuddle with her, and spend lots of time with her. Are you off from school for the summer? When does it start back up? You may want to take a lighter load in the fall, but maybe you'll do fine without that. Hopefully you can play that by ear. Will your husband be able to help you for awhile? Or maybe your mother? That would be ideal, as at first it's kind of rough to do things.

There are a couple of helpful books and a website that would be good to read. They give you an idea of what will be happening, suggestions for during your recovery, etc. Here's a link where I mentioned them to someone else... http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showp...9&postcount=12

You can also just do searches on the forum about what to expect with the surgery, etc. and find lots of information. Keep in mind that someone your age does a lot better than someone my age!

People are always glad to answer questions, so if you have some specific ones, or fears or concerns, just be open and we'll try to help. This is a great place to vent or express our thoughts without upsetting our own families!

Glad to have you on board. Susie
      71 and plugging along... but having some problems
      2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
      5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
      Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
      CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
      10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Hi Nikki,

Make sure you have child care lined up. My in-laws were a God send for both of my revisions. They had the baby for almost six weeks both times and then had her with them for half days. I did not stop picking her though. That is so easier said than done. Try looking into those eyes and saying no, mommy can't, she hurts too much or it is too soon for me to do that.

You can e-mail me privately if you like. I'm sure you'll be fine. You are very young so your recovery should go well. Krysi

Comment

Hi Nikki. You have come to the right place. It is totally normal to be terrified. I am 57 and it was my first surgery and I was fused T4-Pelvis. But I am recovering well and you will be so much better because you are young. The advice given here, to get as much help as you can because you have a baby, is good advice. I hope there is someone willing in your life, husband, mother, cousin, someone you trust, who is happy to carry the load of caring for your baby. As others have said, she will still be able to sit on your lap and you can easily maintain a loving and affectionate relationship with her.

But there will be things you can't do, so you will definitely need help with her.

With a bit of luck your fear will change to acceptance and finally, on the day or so before surgery, your fear will change to simply wanting to get it over and done with. From my reading this forum, I saw that that was quite a common experience and was certainly my own experience. I also got help and was given anti-anxiety medication, though most here don't seem to need it. But get it, if you feel it will help you get through it. It's quite understandable to be fearful of such an operation.

Sending hugs and best wishes and a grandmotherly kiss for your baby!
          Surgery March 3, 2009 at almost 58, now 63.
          Dr. Askin, Brisbane, Australia
          T4-Pelvis, Posterior only
          Osteotomies and Laminectomies
          Was 68 degrees, now 22 and pain free

Comment

Hello!

Hi there! My fusion is set for June 25th, just a few days before yours. I'm 19 so we're sort of in the same age range...I'm anxious and sway from either being really nervous or really excited. I can definitely relate--everything will work out in the long run.
            Are you getting a thoracoplasty too? Feel free to pm me!

Comment

Is it hell?

I just feel like, I need to know what to expect. What are the weeks after like? How limited are you? Is it hell??

Before Surgery:

After Surgery:

<3 Nikki

Comment

Originally posted by shortlilnikki View Post
                I just feel like, I need to know what to expect. What are the weeks after like? How limited are you? Is it hell??
                Hi,

Is your surgery posterior only or posterior and anterior? My surgery was posterior only. I'm more than 20 years older than you. Yes it was tough, but in my case it wasn't 'as bad' as I thought it would be. I think I've had a pretty good recovery. In my opinion, the first 2 weeks were the worst. By 6 weeks post op, I was well enough to travel into the city by train for my post op checkup and I was just fine. I was off all narcotics just before my 3 month post-op date.

Good luck, and let me know if you have more specific questions. I think the hardest part of the whole thing (for me) was the waiting period before, dreading and fearing the worst.

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Hey, thanks!!! Thankfully, they said I could go just posterior. I was SO FREAKED OUT about possibly having anterior as well. I know too much about the procedure. They'd have to have me medicated right now to be able to prepare for that.

I live 2 hours away from where my surgery is.... how many post-op appts are there?

Before Surgery:

After Surgery:

<3 Nikki

Comment

Hi Nikki...

Again, everyone is different. The first appointment is usually at about 6 weeks postop, and then quarterly after that. When you're fully fused (which is approximately 12 months for adults), I think most surgeons tell their patients they don't need to come back in unless they 1) are participating in a study that requires follow up, or 2) there's a new pain or symptom. Your surgeon's office should be able to give you an idea of what to expect.

Regards,
                    Linda
                    Never argue with an idiot. They always drag you down to their level, and then they beat you with experience. --Twain
                    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Surgery 2/10/93 A/P fusion T4-L3
                    Surgery 1/20/11 A/P fusion L2-sacrum w/pelvic fixation

Comment

Don't worry!

Hi Nikki,
                      I was in your spot just a little over a month ago...my fusion was 3/17. Anxiety and worry is normal! But I promise..it's ok. It's not as bad as you are expecting.
                      I have a website that we updated each day I was in the hospital..if you would like to check it out, it was set up for my family and friends so they could keep check on things but you may find it useful just to read on what to expect. It's at http://www.carepages.com/carepages/Becky_331, just do a simple registry and you can access it.
                      For the hospital, the worst part of it was the iv needles- I have a huge fear of needles..they didn't hurt but they irritated me a lot. On day 2, they surprised me by taking me for xrays. I was trying to be strong and use the pain meds as little as possible so when they came in to take me down, I hadn't had any for 2 hours. It was very painful because they had to move me so much..had they warned me, I could of medicated up and been fine. So ask them to give you fair warning. At home, the pain has been moderate..nothing too bad at all. The worst part was not being able to shower myself and overcoming the overall fear of showering and stuff. Also, the pain meds caused me to have horrible constipation one day...I can't stress enough-FIBER or Miralax!! =-) That was by far the worst day! All in all, it's been so much easier than I ever expected. You will be fine!!
                      My son is 5 so I didn't have the worry of picking him up...but if you just have someone else pick your daughter up and sit her on your lap, you'll be fine. Just follow your dr's orders and I promise you'll get thru it and be SOOOO glad you did!
                      If you have any issues or questions, please feel free to email me @outerbanx331@yahoo.com
                      Becky-29 New Market, TN
                      Spinal Fusion 3/17/09
                      T3 to L3-73 degree curve to a 20ish

I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength

Comment

Working...
                      X