Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Year Follow-up Visit

Dear Post-surgery Veterans,

Ginger here! I dove head-long into LIFE after my first few months of recovery and I left the forum for a while. Grandbabies got born, nieces got wed, and I found some causes worthy of my time and attention. Sorry to be gone so long.

I am starting to pack my bags for my annual appointment Dr. Boachie in New York City. This will be my first REAL appointment since my surgery last May, and due to that fact, I scheduled it for the eleven-month mark. I'll be in his office at 9 a.m. on Monday, April 20th. That's in four days.

Thing is, I don't have a CLUE of what I should ask. Basically, I just feel pretty darn good, EXCEPT for a bit of pain over one screw. (I mailed him my x-rays, with a post-it arrow by the affected screw and he left me a message saying there are no hardware issues. Good thing. I was rather scared I'd messed up my great surgery results by diving in the Barrier Reef off of Belize. The currents were really challenging and the waves were coming at me and I thought SHOOT all this fun has given me a LOOSE SCREW. That was at seven months out from surgery. Guess my hardware is right where it should be. Whew!)

Anyhow, I figure some of you have navigated through these post-op appointments and I'm hoping you could give me some insightful questions. Things I would WISH I had asked, if I'd only thought of them BEFORE the appointment.

MANY THANKS
    Ginger
    Ginger Woolley

Oct 2018, L3 - S1, Anterior & Posterior, Dr Sigurd Berven, UCSF, San Francisco
    May 2008, T4 - L3, Dr. Ohenaba Boachie, Hospital for Special Surgery, NYC
    Sept 1967, T4 - T 11, without instrumentation, Dr Thomas Brown, Stanford

Hi Ginger!!

I'm really glad to hear you're doing so well. I must say that my one-year followup with Dr. B was rather anticlimactic. I made him demonstrate for me which movements I should definitely not do (twisting, side to side bending, bending from the thoracic area) and we talked about my own particular issues (weak leg, sore ribs). I filled out a couple of post-op survey forms and got measured and we oooohed and aaaaahed over my x-rays, which looked beautiful . Then he said, "See you in a year." Aaaaah.

Come to think of it, it's time for me to schedule my two-year checkup. Time flies when you're recovering from spinal fusion... ha ha..

Best to you!
    Chris
    A/P fusion on June 19, 2007 at age 52; T10-L5
    Pre-op thoracolumbar curve: 70 degrees
    Post-op curve: 12 degrees
    Dr. Boachie-adjei, HSS, New York

Comment

Hi Ginger,

How nice to hear from you. Sounds like you're doing fantastic--diving in Belize!! Your life sounds much more exciting than mine Are you still hiking your canyon every day? I 'hike' around the block.

I can't help you out with 1 year questions since you're ahead of me, but be sure to let us know how it goes!!

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
      Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
      Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
      Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
      Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Hi Ginger

My 1 yr was uneventful as I have no spine or scoli issues. They shot x-rays, I jumped up and down, (I do that quite a bit now) and we talked about high speed crashes.

High speed crashes are not acceptable any more. The leverage from a shoulder hit, can rotationally crack a fusion. Other than that, you might bring up the issue of standing up with your tank while diving. He might frown on that. I have not asked as I have not dove yet and will wait since I will do another surgery soon. I believe its 3 mos? I don't remember, I will have to look that one up in the books.

NYC is a great place, have fun
        Ed
        49 yr old male, now 63, the new 64...
        Pre surgery curves T70,L70
        ALIF/PSA T2-Pelvis 01/29/08, 01/31/08 7" pelvic anchors BMP
        Dr Brett Menmuir St Marys Hospital Reno,Nevada

Bending and twisting pics after full fusion
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/showt...on.&highlight=

My x-rays
        http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...2&d=1228779214

http://www.scoliosis.org/forum/attac...3&d=1228779258

Comment

Wow! This incredible group of scolis are just a few keystrokes away! Thanks Chris, Debbie, and Ed!

Yes, Debbie, I hike 2 - 3 miles up the canyon every single day. In fact, I put some shots of yesterday's hike during a springtime snow storm RIGHT HERE:

http://gingersnapgems.blogspot.com/

Truly, all that hiking has helped me regain my strength and my lust for life!

I'm going to check the forum one more time before my appointment on Monday. Any ideas would be really appreciated!

Ginger
          Ginger Woolley

Comment

Ginger!!

My one year was like a non-event - LOL ... wait ... I didn't *have* a one year. I think I saw him at 9 months and he said "come back in a year" ;-).

There's really not much you need to ask if you're feeling well ... the pain over the screw could very well be nerve/muscle related, but the good thing is, you're fused now. If they have to remove it, pretty small taters, comparatively. The films should tell the tale ... try not to worry in the meantime.

Hugs,
            Pam
            Last edited by txmarinemom; 04-17-2009, 08:05 PM.
            Fusion is NOT the end of the world.
            AIDS Walk Houston 2008 5K @ 33 days post op!

41, dx'd JIS & Boston braced @ 10
            Pre-op ±53°, Post-op < 20°
            Fused 2/5/08, T4-L1 ... Darrell S. Hanson, Houston

VIEW MY X-RAYS
            EMAIL ME

Comment

Hi Ginger! I hope you have a great trip to NYC and a glowing report from Dr. B... it sounds like you are going great guns! I looked in my notebook I keep of my appointments. I went at 11 months, and it was pretty much like the others have said... not much, very routine and basic. I had x-rays followed by the exam. He said everything looked fine and addressed whatever questions I had. Mine were regarding aches and pops and things like that, as well as wanting some PT for core strengthening. You don't seem to have any of those problems. My shoulder pain was from arthritis, popping was ok. Aching was normal for that stage of the game for someone like me... etc. And he said to hold off another month for PT and give him a call then. I did, and it was good. Take care-- and continue enjoying life to the max! I'll email you when I become a grandma.
              71 and plugging along... but having some problems
              2007 52° w/ severe lumbar stenosis & L2L3 lateral listhesis (side shift)
              5/4/07 posterior fusion T2-L4 w/ laminectomies and osteotomies @L2L3, L3L4
              Dr. Kim Hammerberg, Rush Univ. Medical Center in Chicago

Corrected to 15°
              CMT (type 2) DX in 2014, progressing
              10/2018 x-rays - spondylolisthesis at L4/L5 - Dr. DeWald is monitoring

Click to view my pics: pics of scoli x-rays digital x-rays, and pics of me

Comment

Oh, I forgot one more thing he did: he took polaroid snapshots of me wearing shorts and that little paper bra thing they make you wear....standing straight and bending over (from the hips, naturally). He promised me the pics wouldn't end up on the internet someday although that could have been my one shot at 15 minutes of fame.....!!!
                Good luck with your appointment and don't forget to pack a snack.
                Chris

Comment

Report on Appointment

Dear Friends,

I'm a wee bit tardy in reporting on my 11-month appointment - really my FIRST real appointment since I was three weeks out. I went to Ohio after seeing Dr. Boachie in NYC. My kids and grandkidlets rented a cabin for six days and we had a marvelous reunion. (That sort of thing is HERE: http://gingersnapgems.blogspot.com)

Anyhow, THE APPOINTMENT! I didn't have to get any Polaroid shots, but I did get another sort of shot - a cortisone injection for an inflamed bursa sac over the screw that's most superficial. It now feels much better. I'm glad to know what caused the pain. Has anyone else experienced inflamed bursa sacs over their hardware?

Truly, at the point, I can say I'm pretty much out of pain, except the basic aches that go with getting older. All that horrific chronic back pain is GONE GONE GONE. I am walking advocate for the surgery. If I'd only known it would be so much better, I would have jumped on the operating table years ago. So, I'll just say it to you who are still struggling with pain.

I thought this would definitely be my last visit to NYC since I checked out great, but the doctor said please PLEASE come at the two year mark. At that point, I'll set you free. Sooo, I'll plan on another spring visit.

Thanks for all the good pointers before my appointment!
                  Ginger
                  Ginger Woolley

Comment

Hi Ginger,

I've been wondering how your appointment went! I'm gad to hear that you had a good report. Will the bursa problem resolve itself? Or will you need more shots in the future?

Your time with your children sounds wonderful. Your grandchildren are so cute! That pic of the two babies is just adorable You must kiss all those kids to pieces!

And Ginger--ROPESWINGING!!! Wow you are just something else! You won't catch me swinging from a rope in a million years

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
                    Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
                    Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
                    Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
                    Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

I'm glad you don't have any serious hardware issues, Ginger -- and yes, the grandkids are really adorable. I checked out your canyon shots, too -- amazingly beautiful.

I was hoping to wriggle out of my two-year appointment too, but Lindy said I HAD to go up....! I'm scheduled for mid-June.
                      Chris

Comment

This thread was just so great to read. Such positive thoughts from all of you. Susie B, congrats on becoming a grandma, just loved all of it.(saw that on another thread)
                        Ropeswinging how fabulous, well the old saying is if you don't use it you'll lose it.!!

Macky xx
                        Last edited by macky; 05-06-2009, 12:19 AM. Reason: spelling
                        Operation 1966, Fused from T4 to L3, had Harrington rods inserted. Originally had an 85 degree Thoracic curve with lumbar scoliosis as well but had a good correction.
                        Perfectly normal life till 1997 but now in a lot of pain daily. Consider myself very fortunate though.

Comment

Working...
                        X