still waiting for results of cat scan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• still waiting for results of cat scan

Yes that's right, I am still waiting for my surgeon to look at the films of my cat scan that he has had 2 weeks. His assistant has assured me that looking at the film is a priority but he hasn't been able to find the time to review the film. I am 2 months post-op and the cat scan was because I am still feeling the same pre surgery weakness and pain when walking and I don't think I should. My first post-op appointment is May 14 when I will be 3 months post surgery. I am upset and have no idea what else I can do. Yelling at his assistant doesn't accomplish anything and she has no boss over her other than the surgeon. just really needed to vent because I am feeling rather helpless in this situation. I read the report and it says very little. It did say that I have harrington rods and I don't know if I really have them or if the name harrington rods was used generically so to speak.

avis
    1987 Lumbar Laminectomy (forget which levels)
    2005 A/P fusion, L2 - L5, 2/2005
    2009 2 Posterior fusions, T6 - Pelvis, 2/10 & 2/18,
    Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Actually, I sent my doc a certified restricted letter re: my situation and he responded almost immediately after receiving it. Certified restricted is supposed to mean that he is the only one that can sign for it - while that didn't happen - he did get the letter. He didn't realize the turmoil I'd been going through as no one felt they needed to reconsult with him. Just a suggestion.

Always Smilin'
    Colleen

1982 fused T2-L1
    pre op 45 - post op 33 (left thoracic)
    pre op 53 - post op 18 (right thoracic)

recheck 2006
    right thoracic 57
    lower lumbar 34

surgical revision April 28,2009
    revision T3-L1; new fusion L1-L4
    unsure of degrees at this point

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion as it is something I had not thought of. I heard from his surgical coordinator yesterday and she delivered his message which was the cat scan showed nothing, which i figured anyway and he had two options for me if I still wasn't happy. I could consult with a neurologist or get a mylogram/ct scan. Yesterday I declined both suggestions but I have changed my mind and want to get a full spin myelogram/ct scan. The reason being the cat scan was only a thoracic view. For some reason, he didn't feel it was necessary to capture the lumbar and sacral region and those areas had the most work done on them. I don't understand that to save my life but I have to belief there was a good reason for it. By the time I got off the phone with the coordinator I felt like there was really nothing wrong, i am healing perfectly and why do I make so much trouble when everything is fine. I don't know if anyone can relate to this but fortunately I spoke to a friend of mine who has undergone several surgeries involving scoliosis and she helped me clear that up for myself. So later last night I called the coordinator and left her a message requesting the myleogram/ct scan and emphasized of the entire spinal region and not just the thoracic area. This coming Monday, I will talk to her and get this thing booked. I alsol realize I will not ever get to talk to my surgon on the phone so I had better have every single question I want answers to at the ready for my 3 month post-op visit on May 14th. i apologize for the length etc. of this email.
      avis
      Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

Awh, Avis, I'm sorry you are having so much trouble. I sure hope they figure out what's going on. Or, even better, the symptoms just go away on their own. ((Hugs))

Milwalkee Brace 1976 - 79
        Told by Dr. my curve would never progress

Surgery 10/15/08 in NYC by Dr. Michael Neuwirth
        Pre-Surgury Thorasic: 66 degrees
        Pre-Surgery Lumbar: 66 degrees

Post-Surgery Thorasic: 34 degrees
        Post-Surgery Lumbar: 22 degrees

Comment

Avis

Fax or Email the doc. That leaves a written trail and they are more likely to respond than if you phone them.
          30 something y.o.

2003 - T45, L???
          2005 - T50, L31
          bunch of measurements between...

2011 - T60, L32
          2013 - T68, L?

Posterior Fusion Sept 2014 -- T3 - L3
          Post - op curve ~35

Comment

Avis.....Im so sorry you're having such a hard time......please keep us up to date on whats going on. Take it easy.....'

Lynn
            Lynn -30.... something
            DxD @ 8 yrs old: 10* curve-no brace-no nothin'!
            At age 26: Thorasic 48*/Lumbar 50*
            At age 34: Thorasic 58*/Lumbar 60*
            Posterior T5-L4 Fusion Jan 14th, 2009 w/Dr Tribus
            UW Madison, WI Hospital
            **AFTER: less than 10* Thorasic/15* Lumbar**

Comment

Avis,

I'm sorry you are having so much trouble. The coordinator should never make you feel bad for complaining if you are feeling pain and/or worried.

I hope you get to the bottom of this soon. Keep us posted.

Sheri
              At age 56 my curves measured: 48/60/30 with lots of rotation and getting worse
              Posterior fusion T5-L4 June 30, 2009
              Excellent correction

Comment

Thats awful! I hate it when my surgeon's office doesn't respond (which happens more than is probably allowable). Please keep us updated!!

jesscv- I HATE CT scans with contrast. I am allergic to the contrast, yet they always seem to want to use it which means prednisolone for a week before (I am allergic to prednisone, go figure)..normally, not so good after surgery (lol), brenadryl before I leave the house and again there, pepcid and phenergan, a breathing treatment before, and keeping the inhaler on the stand next to the machine. lol. HATE IT. So far I havent gone into full anaphylaxis...which is great, but it runs in my family...and it makes my airways close and induces vomiting, and rashes...growl.
                25 years old
                double 70+ degree curves before surgery
                Anterior on 11/11/08
                Posterior on 12/2/08 with titanium rods
                nearly perfect correction
                fused t-10 to pelvis
                with a hemi-vertebral osteotomy at L4

Broke right rod at L4-L5 on 06/26/09
                Broke left rod on 10/24/09
                Revision surgery on 11/5/09 with vitallium rods
                Broke both rods again

Had posterior than anterior revisions on 03/11 at the Twin Cities Spine Center
                Declared "FUSED" on 12/6/11

Comment

I have been emailing the whole time. I wish I had Dr. Rand's email so that I could email him directly. I understand that their office is closed today so I am hoping to hear from Hillary tomorrow about ordering the myelogram with ct scan. Fortunately, I found a place that is closer to me than the last place that I went to.
                  avis
                  Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

Why CT myleo? because of instrumentation?

if you are having weakness or rather, if I was in your shoes, I'd want an MRI.

oh and forgot to comment before, don't worry about the harrington rods comment in the radiology report different radiologists use different terms, some use 'older' terms.

As jesscv said, if something came up, they'd have called you asap. I had that experience... actually, i knew something was up by the way the CT tech was acting and lo and behold, the next morning, my doc's office manager called to make an appt asap.

oh and jesscv, there ARE non-iodine CT IV contrasts, you should find out if any offices offer them next time you need a scan. I don't like IV contrast myself but am not allergic... barium is worse... plus the fizzy drink they give you that instantly makes your entire digestive system into your very own animal balloons.
                    30 something y.o.

2003 - T45, L???
                    2005 - T50, L31
                    bunch of measurements between...

2011 - T60, L32
                    2013 - T68, L?

Posterior Fusion Sept 2014 -- T3 - L3
                    Post - op curve ~35

Comment

the myelo/ct scan is the test that shows everything from nerve to bone to soft tissue, which is why they generally want it before surgery. This time I will get it from my cervical to sacral so if anything is there it will show up. now it's a matter of getting it scheduled.
                      avis
                      Dr. Frank Rand, NEBH

Comment

Working...
                      X