upstairs downstairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• upstairs downstairs

hi, everyone! question for those of you who have had your surgeries: could you get up the stairs to your bedroom (if required) when you got home? my husband and i were looking at the staircase this morning and wondering how in the world we'll manage the ascent and how long it might be before i can safely negotiate the stairs alone....thanks!
    Sue

Milwaukee Brace from ages 8 - 16
    T36 degrees/L56 degrees Pre-Op
    Fused T3 - S1
    Surgery done Sept. 15, 2004
    Dr. Robert G. Viere
    North Texas Spine Care @ Baylor

Hey Sue,

My bedroom is downstairs so I didn't have that problem. My doctor did give me a paper explaining how to do stairs if need be. I did start going up and down them at about 2 weeks post-op. You take them one step at a time and hold on tight. Theresa
    Theresa

April 8 & 12, 2004 - Anterior/Posterior surgery 15 hours & 7 hours
    Thorasic - 79 degree down to 22
    Lumbar - 44 degree down to 18
    Fused T2 to sacrum
    June 2, 2005 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @L3 7 hours
    MAY 21, 2007 - Pedicle subtraction osteotomy @ L2, extended the fusion to S2 and added pelvic instrumentation 9 hours

FUSED T2 - SACRUM 2

Comment

Sue,

In the hospital I walked up a flight of stairs....It's not that bad, only the pain...You can do plenty of movement, but it takes time....the hardest is getting in and out of bed..but the more movement you have the faster your recovery.....I thought like you....I was even going to cut my hair short ...as one website recommended..and thought better of it.....so...you'll do fine....I rode my bike today along the beach and it was great....good luck
      CONNIE

Surgery June 28th 2004
      fused T4 -L3
      Hip graft
      Grown 1 1/2 inches
      25/o upper T 15/o
      53/o T 15/o
      37/o L 6/o
      Dr. Micheal Nuewirth
      New York City

August 6, 2004
      Pulmonary Embolism